Fram Ultra XG8A - 3 OCI & 25,000 miiles - Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ethan1
A car with a grossly oversized (8A vs 3614) Fram Ultra being run for multiple OCIs is better off than a car that has a generic rockcatcher filter changed religiously at a quick lube, let's say that.

Id like to see proof of this. It would be interesting to see the differences between them. Personally id rather change the filter every OCI with a cheap filter. It seems the Ultra held up though.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Id like to see proof of this. It would be interesting to see the differences between them. Personally id rather change the filter every OCI with a cheap filter. It seems the Ultra held up though.

Can't say that is very smart on your end. The oil filter is perhaps the most important part of the lubrication system. Think about it, you can have The Best Synthetic oil on earth in the engine, but run it without an oil filter and the engine won't be performing as good in 50,000 miles. I would think the metallic bits will sand down all surfaces out of spec by 100k, even if changed according to manufacturer specs (5-10k miles even back in the 90s)

It actually makes more sense to run the cheapest Walmart House Bland Supertech conventional oil along with a Premium Oil Filter. The oil will be cleaner and in better shape vs a cheap filter which lets more particles to continue to circulate in the system.
33.gif
31.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Now somebody is going to look at that and think the filter fell apart.

Nobody in their "Right Mind" will think that.

Originally Posted By: THafeez
You could have compromised the gasket unless you changed it every time you took the filter off.

That's simply an old wive's tale, and is completely non-factual.

Originally Posted By: blupupher

It looks like it did it's job though, even 10,000 miles past the rating on the box (only 5000 over the new boxes).

That "Rating" doesn't hold any water.

A filter with 3X the capacity of a XG3614 should go 3X as long....

XG3614 for 20K miles, the XG8A is good for 60,000 miles

Originally Posted By: Linctex

Originally Posted By: THafeez
You could have compromised the gasket unless you changed it every time you took the filter off.

That's simply an old wive's tale, and is completely non-factual.

Agreed. I've removed and reused many oil filters (putting it back on or using in another vehicle all together for an additional OCI) and never had any problem.

If you start with a filter that has a nice thick gasket (like a Mobil 1 oil filter has, for example) and you don't over torque the filter, then there's no way to ruin the gasket. You can spin it on and off a dozen times and nothing will happen.

It's the shops that spin on the filter with a wrench and flatten the gasket from over tightening that result in a non-reusable oil filter after it's removed.

Originally Posted By: blupupher

It looks like it did it's job though, even 10,000 miles past the rating on the box (only 5000 over the new boxes).

That "Rating" doesn't hold any water.

A filter with 3X the capacity of a XG3614 should go 3X as long....

XG3614 for 20K miles, the XG8A is good for 60,000 miles

Your math makes sense. Sadly that is not the case in real life. Weird how that works, huh?

Originally Posted By: Artem

Your math makes sense. Sadly that is not the case in real life.

Please back up your statement with facts proving otherwise.

Did you pull the filter off to fully/mostly drain oil? Or just leave it on, and whatever oil was in the filter and ahead of the ADBV stayed in there? If the latter, was the filter hard to get off?

Originally Posted By: Artem

Your math makes sense. Sadly that is not the case in real life.

Please back up your statement with facts proving otherwise.

Ummmm, well if what you said is true, the oversized filter would have a 60k mile rating on the box, if installed on your average Honda to replace the tiny OEM unit, since it's 3x the size and should have 3x the capacity, right? Since no such rating exist, it's safe to say both the tiny filter and 3x as large are both only good for 20k miles... to your average Joe.

A BITOG-er is able to set his own max capacity rating, because; Rational Thinking.
thumbsup2.gif

It's what fram told me when I called them. Never remove a used filter and put it back on again. You can call and check too.

^^^ Yep, even if the filter isn't over torqued the base gasket will still compress and stay flattened. Just compare the shape of the gasket on a used filter vs a new one of the same brand & model. On the filters I've used for 2x OCIs I just left the filter undisturbed.

Sure it may be flattened and thinner vs the round shape it had when new. And your point is...?

There are lots of flat gaskets that seal just fine used in and around engines, transmissions, rear diff, etc. doesn't stop it from sealing. Hahaha. But nice try though.

Like I said, I've personally removed oil filters from one car after 3k miles and reused the filter in another car for another 6k miles of use without any problems. No leaks and UOA after the second use showed awesome filtration. You're overthinking it but this situation requires carefully examining the specific oil filter and its gasket you plan on using. I always stick to filters with thick gaskets and torque lightly to spec (a good hand tightening)

^^^ You go ahead and keep removing and reusing those filters. Not my mode of opereation, and just because it works for you that isn't going to convince me to do the same.
wink.gif

Because they are apparently up to the task. Because conservation. Because money. Because some filter changes send a stream of carcinogen down past your armpit. Because some people are getting old and it saves their back a little bit. Come on.

Sounds like a list of excuses to me. It's not my engine, and wouldn't buy a car that was neglected that way. BTW, only a schmuck gets in a situation where a carcinogen runs down their arm pit.

Last edited:
This thread is fun.

I'm not sure what I'm enjoying more, the people who do things their own way, or those who have to bash others for doing things their own way.

Good times.

Originally Posted By: Seventh
This thread is fun.

I'm not sure what I'm enjoying more, the people who do things their own way, or those who have to bash others for doing things their own way.

Good times.

I'm with you. I didn't spend the effort to inspect the internals of the filter because I wanted to save $8 per OCI. I just wanted to do an experiment and see/show what this filter would look like after what I did. I/we nerd out on this kind of stuff and find it interesting. We experiment to find out how far we can push certain oils and filters, and which products are prone to fail.

All these threads about best oil or filter, I don't see anyone complaining about... "Engine worn out too soon, should have stayed clear of 20wt oils" or "Bearing clearances out of spec at 400k miles, mechanic says it's due to low efficiency oil filters I've been using".

Happy motoring everyone
19.gif

^^^ How do you know by looking at the cut open filter if the media was loaded up enough to where the bypass valve was opening alot more than it should have?

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Because they are apparently up to the task. Because conservation. Because money. Because some filter changes send a stream of carcinogen down past your armpit. Because some people are getting old and it saves their back a little bit. Come on.
Because you don't like the car very much.

It's a machine. Don't be so dramatic. The filter is up to the task. Keeping a filter on it for more than 1 OCI isn't going to hurt its feelings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back