Fram Ultra XG7317 cut open

I taught my brother in law who hasn't held a wrench in his hand in his whole life to change the oil in his car. The first time I was helping him along but the second time he did it all on his own. You should have seen him acting like a kid in the candy store after he did it. I enjoyed just seeing him smiling from ear to ear and exclaiming "Wow, I changed the oil in my car!"

Even though I don't have my tools and my filter cutter with me, being an oil freak I just couldn't let an oil filter go to waste without cutting it open. So between a wire cutter and a utility knife I had to improvise something to make it happen.

This filter came out of a 2011 Honda Accord, about 175k miles on it. He doesn't know how many miles on this filter, he just changed it when the oil life went down to 0%. He thought it was 5k miles, but I believe it is much more than that. Anybody knows how many miles a Honda Accord would take to show 0%?

The filter was made in 2023, so no wire backing, but it held up pretty good. There was no metal in it, but some carbon in the bottom, and it looks like the media is pretty loaded if you compare the clean with the dirty side. Louvers were nice and open.

Out: This filter and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W-20.
In: Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20 and a Fram Titanium 7317.

Enjoy.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Anybody knows how many miles a Honda Accord would take to show 0%?
We had a slightly older Honda and the mileage-to-% did vary based on driving conditions (primarily city vs highway). It could range from high-5000s for mostly city to 7500 for more highway.

oil comes outta the ground, goes back into the ground

joking of course... goes in my 55 gal drum for the waste oil burner

Nice pics OP, thanks for the cut and good on you to help with teaching oil changes! Probably save your BIL ton of money cause you know how easily a quick lube shop can manipulate a 29.99 oil change into a 129.99 XYZ payday.

oil comes outta the ground, goes back into the ground

joking of course... goes in my 55 gal drum for the waste oil burner

Nice pics OP, thanks for the cut and good on you to help with teaching oil changes! Probably save your BIL ton of money cause you know how easily a quick lube shop can manipulate a 29.99 oil change into a 129.99 XYZ payday.
You're welcome sir.

You are so right. A friend of mine went to get an oil change and ended up with an oil change, a battery, and a fuel system cleaning, which I think it was a 50 cent bottle of some stuff thrown into the fuel tank. All for the low price of $159.99, or something of that nature. She doesn't know anything about cars, so I told her next time to just drive the 30 or so miles to my house and I'll change the oil for her for free. I have lots of clearance oil and filters. Hopefully she will take me up on my offer.

Nice. I'm in kennesaw😁
He lives in Snellville. I used to live in Marietta many moons ago, now happily residing in the sticks of Tennessee. I miss the convenience of living in the city where everything is close by, but much more relaxed living in the middle of nowhere.

Back