Fram Ultra Synthetic oil filter as of March 2024 - Is it still a good choice?

I’ve been using Fram XG’s on all of my cars (‘02 F150, ‘01 Mustang GT, ‘00 Camry) and have had zero issues with them.

How’s your recent experience with them?

You may wish to peruse a few recent threads on the new Ultra. Granted it's not "2024" but some of the threads extend into this year and all discuss the recent changes to the design.

You may wish to peruse a few recent threads on the new Ultra. Granted it's not "2024" but some of the threads extend into this year and all discuss the recent changes to the design.

Wow… thank you!!

I'll bite my tongue..
Sorry. Let me ask the question another way:

A: Fram Ultra has the wire backing.
B: Fram Ultra quality 1 year after the wire backing was removed.
C: Fram Ultra quality today.

Has the quality declined from B: to C: above?
If so, please provide details. This is an important question, as I currently view Fram Ultra as one of the best filters due to it's high efficiency.

Thanks in advance for your detailed response.

If so, please provide details. This is an important question, as I currently view Fram Ultra as one of the best filters due to it's high efficiency.

Check out the numerous previous threads I posted above. If you need more I’ll link them tomorrow.

20,000 miles is a lot of miles to ask a filter to run. For the money on a wire backed Ultra you'd not have to worry about a long mileage run like that & the wire backing kept the filter pleats in position throughout that interval. Now, removal of the wire backing we see the aftermath of it & that is wavy pleats but I've not seen too many run them real long mileages yet but in time perhaps we will. That way we can get more information on how they handle those mileages. I'm just not sold on them when they've removed one of the greatest features of the filter & IMO reinforced or wire backed media is a must/piece of mind for 20,000 miles. They essentially increased the cost of the Ultra by wire backing the Endurance & to add insult to injury there's only selected models available at WM (not a whole range product offering). Do I think the Ultra is a terrible filter? no,, absolutely not, but would I recommend it for 20k..no. That would be a job for an Endurance/Boss/XP/Platinum reinforced media.

Fram still shows the non-wire backed Ultra having the same efficiency and "up to" 20K mileage use rating. Fram has also gone to a louvered center tube on the Ultras and Endurance models that I've seen. So if you don't like verifying louver formation quality, then that might be a consideration.

The "big thing" for some here is that some Ultras show "wavy" pleats (most have a minor waviness), and people seem to be overly critical when it's an Ultra, but not so much when wavy pleats are seen on other filter brands and models, lol. Wavy pleats are seen in lots of oil filters after use, and doesn't really matter unless you're entering it in a BITOG C&P beauty contest.

You should inspect them on a filter by filter basis. Open the box and check the inside with the light on your phone. Fram still has quality filters, but it's a toss-up. For example, the filter I use for my 3.0 duramax is the Fram Titanium FS12447, replaces the oe PF66. The titanium has a metal core with louvers, synthetic media, wire backing, silicone adbv. The ultra, which used to be the same thing as the titanium, is just like the PF66 with a plastic core, but has a silicone adbv and synthetic non wire backed media.

Fram still shows the non-wire backed Ultra having the same efficiency and "up to" 20K mileage use rating. Fram has also gone to a louvered center tube on the Ultras and Endurance models that I've seen. So if you don't like verifying louver formation quality, then that might be a consideration.

The "big thing" for some here is that some Ultras show "wavy" pleats (most have a minor waviness), and people seem to be overly critical when it's an Ultra, but not so much when wavy pleats are seen on other filter brands and models, lol. Wavy pleats are seen in lots of oil filters after use, and doesn't really matter unless you're entering it in a BITOG C&P beauty contest.
Thanks. How would the "old" Fram Ultra with the wire backing compare against the new Fram Endurance.
Would they both be of equal quality and filtration efficiency (even going down to 15 or lower microns)
or would one be a better than the other for filtration and longevity?

Thanks. How would the "old" Fram Ultra with the wire backing compare against the new Fram Endurance.
Would they both be of equal quality or would one be of higher quality than the other?
Basically the same, but the Endurance has a higher use rating of 25K miles, so a bit higher holding capacity than the Ultra. All the specs are on Fram's website. If you want wire backed media then get the Endurance if Walmart carries the model you need.

That's because they cheapened the product & the cost didn't go down. "Wavy pleats" was the last straw. Bellyaching rightfully so. ;)

Last edited:
If you have old stock XGs, they’re fine. I’ve got several in a few sizes and will use them. Any new Fram purchases I make are Endurance line only. $13 for a 25k wire backed filter is chump change and a no-brainer.

That's because they cheapened the product & the cost didn't go down. Bellyaching rightfully so. ;)
Nah, basically just Fram hater criticism. I've seen plenty of Purolator filters (and other brands) with wavy pleats after use - and they keep raising their prices, lol. I'm sure you think Purolator filters with wavy pleats are still just fine and "high quality". One-way glasses wearing syndrome. ;)

That's because they cheapened the product & the cost didn't go down. Bellyaching rightfully so. ;)

Yep….

Welfarized it….. To a certain degree …

Then they come out with one that replaces it…. With the similar construction as the OG one and extremely similar specs too.

To be fair the later Ultras have been looking better and better as time as gone forward. The latest one be cut open here did look very good.

And everyone has raised prices a fair bit…

And yeah the Purolator ones had way, way too many tears in them several years ago. Plus the ones that did not tear looked bad too.

Though again it seems that Purolator filters have been doing better the last few years too. Though their Boss filters are extremely well built they are not highly efficient where it matters most between 10 and 20 microns.

That Fram Endurance filter will likely be 95-97 percent at 15 microns vs the Boss filters which typically are only 50 percent around 20 microns.

Strange enough but Premium Guard seems to be the only manufacturer that can make filters that look perfect after running 5 to 15k miles without the wire backed media….

And the Carquest Blues that are fairly well priced at $7.79 everyday price for the 84356 filter is quite good. Made by PG…

Even Napa Gold filters in my area now are PGs… But $12.99 for the same exact filter at AAP that cost $7.79.

Last edited:
Nah, basically just Fram hater criticism. I've seen plenty of Purolator filters (and other brands) with wavy pleats after use - and they keep raising their prices, lol. I'm sure you think Purolator filters with wavy pleats are still just fine and "high quality". One-way glasses wearing syndrome. ;)
Where did I say wavy Purolator filters are "high quality"... I'll be waiting here for your response showing me where I've ever said that. ;)

Truth is you're flat wrong & In my last Purolator One filter posting, that came out wavy, I went out of my way to say that OEM was a better fit. I posted yesterday answering a question & replied stating "Fram Ultra Is not a terrible filter".

If you think I'd not be a bit upset if Boss removed their Poly mesh "Smart Fusion" backing, started causing wavy pleats, & kept high prices, Like Fram Ultra's have, then your really stuck in Fram land.

Last edited:
Back