Fram Ultra = Piece of [censored]? Another BMW thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Noobie
I confused Hengst with Mahle as an OEM for euro cars. Anyways, Hengst are pretty good filters too but Mann is usually the cheapest and available at more places.

I used Mann, Mahle, Hengst, and made in Germany Bosch when I had my Audi. All worked great and were all under $5 a piece, too.

Originally Posted By: jdavis
Sent them a nasty email with this thread and others with the same issue with XG10075

Who did you send email to? The only way this gets resolved is if you contact our claims center at 800-890-2075, press opt #2 for claims. They will get right back to you. Sorry this happened, please save all parts of the filter, they will want them.

Originally Posted By: Motorking
Sent them a nasty email with this thread and others with the same issue with XG10075

Who did you send email to? The only way this gets resolved is if you contact our claims center at 800-890-2075, press opt #2 for claims. They will get right back to you. Sorry this happened, please save all parts of the filter, they will want them.

What is the claim for exactly?

I obviously don't want another one of these filters, and don't care about the $20 at this point. I would say to fix the [censored] manufacturing process for them as there's obviously a problem.

I just took pics of a Mann HU-816X and a new XG10075 side by side (have the pics if anyone wants to see them) and they look pretty identical in size.

I will say that I have used Mann before in this BMW, and upon pulling them out of the filter housing after use, there is a slight amount of crush to them too, so whoever said the manufacturer (BMW in this case) prefers a slight bit of crush for the seal factor is probably dead on, just seems however that the Fram can't tolerate it.

For Euro cartridge type applications stick to OEM or Mann ( which usually make the OEM anyway) Going this way you just have piece of mind of fit and function.

Originally Posted By: Motorking

What is the claim for exactly?

I obviously don't want another one of these filters, and don't care about the $20 at this point. I would say to fix the [censored] manufacturing process for them as there's obviously a problem.

It gives them the information and tracking of the returned filter.

Put the effort you're using to vent here toward something that will go at least some way toward investigating and fixing whatever the issue is and follow Jay's instructions.

If anyone here thinks any brand of "disposable" filter is infallible, they're not being realistic. I would still use Purolator or Fram and not think twice about it.

*Currently using NapaGold and OEM Hyundai. (and i'm sure they fail too)

Question also is the filter allowing unfiltered oil during use or is the pressure on the end cap keeping it sealed and upon release it expands and either breaks at that point or if already broken it releases and you see what you see. Similar to the end caps that fall off the spin on filters the pressure in the can keeps them sealed and isn't as bad as it looks.

I'm not too impressed with the Ultra cartridge filters. My XG9018 had a pretty big hole in it, and this is the second BMW one that's failed on here.

This is the reason I stay away from these. My girlfriends car takes the pricey XG8712 which looks identical to this, but I stick with the $4 Mahle filters from Rock Auto.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
Try Wix/Napa Gold or Hengst...

+1, or Baldwin (Hastings) for some applications.

I'll use up my small stock of Fram's soon. No failures so far ...:)

No more Purolators for me. Last one was a piece of junk, and gave away it's compatriots. Can distorted badly trying to remove and more start-up clatter than I'd heard from a Farm-All
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Noobie
That ultra doesnt looks good. Seems like FU cartridge filters are not as good as their spin on filters.
When it comes to cartridge filter for Euro cars, nothing beats OEM such as Mann and Hengst.
I've never seen them fail, torn, wavy or anything like that.
I've always used Mann for my euro cars, sometimes aftermarket and sometimes original from dealer. The dealer ones have the Mann logo stamped on them.

+1 on that but add Mahle also to the best manufacturers of Euro car cartridge filters..
I cant even remember when i replaced a steelcan filter last time but the cartridge filters i replace many per year on my car and my relatives cars and have never seen any of them fail.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
OEM (not necessarily BMW), Mann, and Mobil 1 EP filters are reported to be the highest-rated filters.

http://www.austincc.edu/wkibbe/oilfilterstudy.htm
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2423218/1
http://tos.pp.fi/koukku/suodattimet/olju.pdf

One thing about Mann, it apparently sells rebranded Purolator filters at a much higher price unless it makes the OEM filter. Therefore, I would avoid it unless you know it's the OEM filter.

OEM is always the failsafe choice for any car make. It should offer high quality overall, ranking near the best filters and sometimes at the very top.

Mobil 1 EP is reported to be a top-quality filter, albeit the high price.

Be careful with certain high-efficient fighters such as Purolator PureOne, which clog very quickly and are not meant for OCIs longer than 3,000 miles. Mobil 1 EP is reportedly high-capacity, long-OCI though.

I've used plenty of Mann oil filters for BMW's and Audi's and i've never seen one crushed one bit, not even a slight amount.

Originally Posted By: car51
Gallydiff: I use FRAM Tough Guards, ULTRA and WIX in my fleet ;^)

While I personally wouldn't use TG's, ultra's and wix's are great.... As I'm sure you know since I see you cutting all those filters.

Gallydif: I went 10k on a tough guard from my 03' Taurus but made the mistake and took it to my safety Kleen dumpster instead of cutting it

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Be careful with certain high-efficient fighters such as Purolator PureOne, which clog very quickly and are not meant for OCIs longer than 3,000 miles.

Not true ... that's been discussed a lot in the oil filter forum. If you read the Purolator use statement (at least on their old website, not sure now with the new website), they said their filters meet the OEM usage duration. So if an OLM said change oil at 10K miles, they were saying their Purolator filters would meet that OEM spec.

With the takeover of Purolator by Mann Hummel, the whole line of filters is going to change, and the whole Purolator website has already been redone to reflect the new filter line-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back