Fram Tough Guard 3614 Cut Open- internal damage

Status
Not open for further replies.
[/quote]
I showed these pictures to our chief engineer. He had concerns about the glazing appearance of the oil and said the filter is distorted because it was full and in bypass for some time. I am not questioning your oil, engine condition, change intervals but suggesting using a oil analysis at least once and changing filters more frequently. [/quote]

Oh this is priceless. I really needed a good laugh today.
Sometimes a horse just needs to drop a big load.

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
.....Oh this is priceless. I really needed a good laugh today....

Speaking of a good laugh, thanks for giving me one with the horse metaphor.
lol.gif

Some popcorn might go well here.
35.gif

Maybe the OP can tell us what the maintenance history was before this oil change? Fram’s assertions may be spot on. Mainly the filter was at capacity and in bypass for some time.

I'm usually a fan, but Fram dropped the ball on this one-if the oil was so dirty, where is all the junk in the can & in the pleats?? And at HALF the recommended mileage interval of 10K (which I still think is too long for this style filter)? I'm going to continue not recommending the EG & TG filters, along with the fiber-ended Ecores, for more than 5K-and this one couldn't even handle that!

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
I'm usually a fan, but Fram dropped the ball on this one-if the oil was so dirty, where is all the junk in the can & in the pleats?? And at HALF the recommended mileage interval of 10K (which I still think is too long for this style filter)? I'm going to continue not recommending the EG & TG filters, along with the fiber-ended Ecores, for more than 5K-and this one couldn't even handle that!

Yeah, i dont buy frams response for a second. Glad i have a ton of wix filters and ST filters. Frams telling me.i should remove my tg 4386 that will habe 15~k after this 3rd run

What a joke

Originally Posted By: Motorking

I showed these pictures to our chief engineer. He had concerns about the glazing appearance of the oil and said the filter is distorted because it was full and in bypass for some time.

B.U.L.L.C.R.A.P.A.L.O.N.E.Y

THIS is what a "full" oil filter looks like:
Originally Posted By: blupupher

And now a question, in between a few of the pleats I found this stuff.

Or maybe this "full" oil filter...........

Originally Posted By: blupupher
Lots of "stuff" in the can:

As long as Fram is commenting on C&P threads posted within the last year, I'd be interested in Fram's Pravda regarding this Autolite filter C&P thread posted last November. The Autolite filter is same as that same vintage Fram orange can with a different paint job and no Sure Grip for the installer market.

Autolite Oil Filter C&P Link

Originally Posted By: Motorking
I showed these pictures to our chief engineer. He had concerns about the glazing appearance of the oil and said the filter is distorted because it was full and in bypass for some time. I am not questioning your oil, engine condition, change intervals but suggesting using a oil analysis at least once and changing filters more frequently.

So, the patented phrase in my signature is finally getting the recognition it deserves (figuratively speaking).

I'm a bit disappointed by Fram's reply, but then again not surprised. This is the oil/automotive/parts industry, never admit there's a problem with the product, typical. I'll continue using Ultra filters, but if problems start popping up with them I'll switch back to Mobil 1 filters.

This is a symptom of poorly spaced pleating... we see it over and over and over again... it's crazy. How hard can it be to make tight, evenly spaced and strong pleats!

And if you're going to use fiber/felt end caps, it would make sense to have the ADBV seal to the center tube directly, and not to the fiber/felt which is at the mercy of the quality of the pleating! Check out how WAFTEC designed their filter with felt end caps:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub...p;P#Post4713586

Notice how the ADBV seals directly to the protruding end cap lip. Also notice the big pleat gap at the seam and how there is little to no flexing of that pleat... different media material.

Pretty cheap looking internals. The end caps look bent and crushed and like they are made out of cardboard. No thanks. I’d take a WIX if I had a need for spin on filters.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: littleant
Quick question on fiber end caps. Looking at the photo the fiber end caps are wet and distorted. Does this allow unfiltered oil to entire the engine ? Thanks

Look at Toyota cartridge filters. Many of time do not use endcaps in the first place.

Originally Posted By: WellOiled
Maybe the OP can tell us what the maintenance history was before this oil change? Fram’s assertions may be spot on. Mainly the filter was at capacity and in bypass for some time.

We bought the van in mid 2009 with 7k miles on it. *seemed* like it had some oil changes done on it. An older couple owned it and obviously didn't drive it much.

Since then I have changed the oil, usually with Mobil1, every 3k to 6k miles.

The oil actually wasn't filthy look at the picture of the can, it was barely dirty looking.

If anything I over maintain the van. I do light towing with it sometimes, short trips sometimes, it doesn't get driven a lot, but this interval it did due to a long trip.

I may have a UOA done this next go around

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
... Look at Toyota cartridge filters. Many of time do not use endcaps in the first place.
True, and neither do some Korean K&Ns or the recent version of Purolator Classic L16311. (Older L16311s, including the ones I bought in 2014, did have end caps.) However, they don't look as well made as the Toyota (Denso) ones to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back