FRAM TG2870A Cut Open Unused - (Carnage)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well after buying these at AA for 5 cents each i decided to cut one open for fun. My harbor freight knock off dremel was taking forever and i just wanted to check out the inside a little so i pretty much destroyed a little bit of the media with my Cutco shears.

Yes my kitchen shears cut open the Fram but it wasn't easy, these tough guards are pretty thick. These shears can cut pennies!

Pics with carnage, the filter appears to be fine except for the said circular media damage from my impatience. It has a nitrle ADBV and a screen over bypass valve. The center tube was fine albeit a little thinner looking inside than expected and the end caps seemed to be in place perfectly.

Once again please ignore the circular media damage from me cutting it open, i really need a better tool!

EDIT: Does anyone know what that white stuff is on the ADBV? It was in there when i cut it open like that. Looks like dried laundry detergent powder?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Johnny
Are you sure the ADBV is nitrile? I thought the nitrile valves were black and silicon was orange/red.

Yeah, that's obviously a silicon ADBV.

That's a pretty crazy pair of scissors.
crazy.gif
grin.gif

Color doesn't determine ADBV material.

Fram advertises the "Tough Guard" as having a silicone ADBV.

From the defunct, oilfilterstudy website, the TG had great filtering media. But, the great filtering media was also a little restrictive. The "Grease oil filter study spreadsheet" is still available from archive.org

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I need to send them back to Cutco for sharpening. Retail is in excess of $100...

I did send my cutco back in the mail today for sharpening. It has a forever guarantee with free sharpneing and repairs.

Should i ask again whats a good filter cutter than isn't going to break the bank?

Definitely need to get a filter cutter/exhaust cutter, or something similar.

TG has silicone adbv, and while it was stated that color does not indicate adbv type, never seen a black silicone adbv. All silicone I've ever seen are orange/red. Nitrile adbv's are black. Napa ProSelect which advertise many different colors, but that is for a nitrile 'combo valve' design.

TG also has screen over bypass. But, with TG everday ~$5.94 at Wally, I'll take the P1 for $3-4 with Advance online codes.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
while it was stated that color does not indicate adbv type, never seen a black silicone adbv. All silicone I've ever seen are orange/red. Nitrile adbv's are black.

Yep same here^^

Somewhat OT.... I got a few FL2021s for my LS the other day, and it's a new design with a WHITE adbv!! ???? Anybody else seen that before?!

When I get time next week, I'll take and post pics. I also have a few used filters to cut open and post once I grab a cutter at HF.

Are there any new popular models to get that aren't too expensive yet reliable for filters in my size range ? I use FL400s size filters or Puro 20195s?

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Mann ML1005 is the same size as FL400S or Purolator L20195, Rockauto has it for $2.5/ea.

Well i was looking for a filter cutter for that size, but since were on the topic, i had noticed those filters were dirt cheap on Rockauto, how do they compare to the FL400s?

Is the Mann a puro classic in disguise? Or is it a wix? I have heard both

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

EDIT: Does anyone know what that white stuff is on the ADBV? It was in there when i cut it open like that. Looks like dried laundry detergent powder?

Probably a dry release agent to keep the "stack" of ADBVs from sticking together during the assembly process...or as a lubricant for the installation of the ADBV into the filter.

Most likely its talc (talcum powder).

I think you can find a filter cutter at Summit Racing or JEGS. These performance part distributors have one priced at around $35. FWIW--Oldtommy

Thanks i remember now i was recommended jegs and summit before now i just gota bookmark them and remember when i have the cash.

On the ADBV note i think it is either talc powder or powder from the media after looking and touching it.

Okay so i inspected the filter a little closer before discarding it, and discovered a couple of things.

Man those cardboard endcaps are really on there! Even after ripping the brown cardboard off the filter it was still holding together nicely. It took some force to get it apart. Seems they do the trick if i had such a hard time doing physical damage to it. Maybe honeywell really knows what they are doing? Not saying they are the best in the business but looks like my filter would have held up for a reasonably long OCI.

Also the steel center tube looked to be flimsy from the outside but after separating it from the media i saw it was much stronger than it appears. I tried to bend it by hand and couldn't, and also tried slamming it into the stainless steel kitchen sink and i couldn't damage it much. Pretty tough filter actually.

Not trying to say anything great about Fram i know we all hate them but just stating my facts that i found from my dissection.

Wonder how old those FRAMs are? Maybe they are old and made better back then. Is there any kind of date code printed on the can?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back