Fram Tech Mgr. post re: OCOD on another forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a response to an oil filter question on another forum a poster who identified himself as the Technical Manager at Fram posted this:(I will not post the link unless I get the OK from the moderators here. I don't want to break any rules on BITOG)

"Hi,
I am the technical manager for Fram. I would like to point out that many OE's now are using oil filters with fiber end caps including Honda, GM, Subaru and even Bentley on the 345,000 dollar Arnage sedan. Toyota OE filters are now using only glue to seal the ends of the media. Why? because the "end cap" is not a structural element of the filter, its only purpose is to seal the ends of the media and nothing more. We have found that nothing bonds better to fiber than fiber. Have you ever glued a smooth piece of metal to anything? It usually just falls off. I would challenge you to cut open a Fram filter and a WIX filter, try to tear off the end caps. you will find the WIX cap comes right off clean leaving the glue on the media, the Fram will tear apart the media because the bond strength is that strong. If you think engineered fiber media is not strong enough for a filter, then why doesnt any filter maker use steel for filter media?
You are using Mobil1 oil, what I consider the best oil in the market, why not use a filter designed for it? We make a filter called extended guard, it is the only filter in the market garenteed to have the dirt trapping capacity for 10k oil changes.
I am aware that amsoil says 25k oil changes, but then in small print says follow the vehicle makers recommendations for oil change intervals. that is their way out if you do have a engine failure related to oil/filters

That filter is 8-9 bucks but you simply get what you pay for. The filter media is not cellulose, it is a two ply full synthetic glass media wrapped around a stainless steel screen with metal end caps (to capture the stainless screen). It has 98% plus efficiency, the highest capacity in the business, a silicone antidrainback valve with full flow bypass. Please dont buy into the internet tribal knowledge that passes for auto maintenance information. Some guy cutting open filters in the internet with no testing on filtration efficiency and capacity is simply not a "filter test"."

and

"What do mean whatever? What I presented is strictly factual and nothing more. I am not asking you to buy our companies filters, buy whatever you like. WIX has made an industry of showing they have metal end caps and we have fiber end caps, why? Becuase they simply do not want to talk about filtration, you know..how much dirt they remove from the oil and hold in the filter untill the next change. They simply do not compare to ours. Science, not internet tribal knowledge. Most all cars are now going to cartridge filters, many of those have no end caps at all. WIX is in the process of dumbing down the build of their filters and making them off shore. the new combo antidrainback/bypass valve they use is featured in a GM service bulletin showing how it came apart and blew up an engine. GM use the Champ labs E-core filter, it has felt end caps and works very well. If you want to talk about science and filtration, i am happy to engage, if you want to blather tribal knowledge, see ya"

The first flaw in his logic I see is if the fiber (paper) end cap is so superior, why does Fram use the supposedly inferior metal end cap on their premium filters?

This was in a thread about Mopar filters. I noticed a similar thread posted here, possibly by the same OP on the other forum.

I don't understand. He makes the statement that fiber is a better endcap, but then anyone who has taken apart a "better" fram will see it has metal endcaps.

"Some guy cutting open filters in the internet" can see some pretty obvious holes in his logic.

Not that I think you can't make a good fiber endcap, or that there is anything terribly wrong about Fram filters.

Edit... ha... just read the rest of the original post.

Last edited:
I doubt he's their tech manager, he's probably a fake or wanna-be. Just the fact that their higher end filters use metal end caps gets me thinking he's a fake.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I doubt he's their tech manager, he's probably a fake or wanna-be. Just the fact that their higher end filters use metal end caps gets me thinking he's a fake.

Yep, and I am a senior designer for Audi, working in the super-secret designer lab in the Alaska range, designing A14: a V14 Hyundai Equus killer. Bud Light comes standard.

well he does say the extended guard uses metal end caps because it has a stainless steel mesh screen to hold it in place? if it didnt have a screen maybe it would be felt end caps.

Most of us me including me agree that the cardboard end caps (Fiber....Whatever material)on Fram Filters are not the problem . I agree with him there. The problem is the antidrain back valves that don't seal and the plastic to metal bypass valve that allow contaminants through.

Frams filter paper may be the best there is but that don't do any good when there are holes for unfiltered oil to pass through.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if he is a fake or not, but I do know that people can type OCOD and some how become a doctor on any oil/filter related question... I have, and still do run fram filters with zero problems, now I do use the extended guard filters as I generally run a 10-13k OCI, however if I had a local job, and done the 5k oci thingy.. a orange can fram would be no problem if I didn't feel like chasing filters/oil prices around town.

well he does make the point of promoting the XG which is a great oil filter and should not be downgraded in anyone's views because it is made by the same company as the orange can

now the way he promotes it makes it sound like it was made with Mobil 1 in mind specifically

Quote:
well he does make the point of promoting the XG which is a great oil filter and should not be downgraded in anyone's views because it is made by the same company as the orange can
...If not entirely truthfully! Efficency rating is 97 not 98. Also the XG is NOT "the highest capacity in the business". XG advertised is at 26g, Bosch Distance Plus advertised at 29g.

He also promotes the XG as a 10K filter, implying no exceptions/restrictions. And, he downgrades the Amsoil filter (and others) because "in small print says follow the vehicle makers recommendations for oil change intervals". YET, if one goes to the Xtended Guard page small print footnote #4 says, "Follow recommended change intervals as noted in your vehicle's owner's manual. 10,000-mile change interval under normal driving conditions using fully synthetic motor oil." What's the difference? Looks like several exceptions/restrictions to me.
29.gif
I know I wouldn't take any filter past the auto makers recommendation, especially while under warranty.

But the point that the XG is not like other orange can design is true. It's the only Fram I would consider using, though at ~$9, there's other less expensive quality options that work for my OCI's.

As for the point that fiber best bonds to fiber, I don't know. I do know that the centertube (including the orange can) is made of metal and in metal endcap filters they are secured to the centertube. Also, the bypass is secured to endcaps in many metal endcap designs, can't do that with fiber endcaps. Just seems to me that the metal endcap design makes a structurally stronger filter, and at this point, apparently all the high end filter makers agree at that opinion.

Bottom line though, with many quality metal endcap designs, I'm not paying the same or more for an orange can design with fiber endcaps.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
I don't understand. He makes the statement that fiber is a better endcap, but then anyone who has taken apart a "better" fram will see it has metal endcaps.

"Some guy cutting open filters in the internet" can see some pretty obvious holes in his logic.

Not that I think you can't make a good fiber endcap, or that there is anything terribly wrong about Fram filters.

Edit... ha... just read the rest of the original post.
You can't do a fiber endcap with the fancy elements.

Originally Posted By: Mokanic
The orange can of death... There are better made filters for the same or less money. Much better.

I agree.
Searching for '04 Honda S2000 oil filters on Rockauto.com, they list Mann ML1002 at $2.54, Bosch 3312 at $3.63 and Fram Extra Guard PH6607 at $4.15 which is about 60% more than Mann.

Is Fram Extra Guard better than Mann by 60%, it is the other way around that Mann is much better than Fram and as a bonus it is much cheaper.

It is my opinion that only the ignorant would buy Fram instead of Mann when seeing the price list on Rockauto.

first off i dont have respect for any tech manager that bashes another product to the public although i have heard oil bashing from a tech guy at a major oil company..
We do engines and there is another rebuilder not too far from us and we dont bash them and they dont bash us...Many times we talk and sometimes borrow parts from each other,,,

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Most of us me including me agree that the cardboard end caps (Fiber....Whatever material)on Fram Filters are not the problem . I agree with him there. The problem is the antidrain back valves that don't seal and the plastic to metal bypass valve that allow contaminants through.

Frams filter paper may be the best there is but that don't do any good when there are holes for unfiltered oil to pass through.

Exactly!

The failure on my orange can of death was a result of a defective ADBV. It was DEFECTIVE OUT OF THE BOX!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back