FRAM extraguard really is garbage - check this out

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought Frampa was dead.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: wymi516
Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Shouldn't there be visible glue on the end caps if the assumption here is that the pleated media was cut too short?

Yes, after watching the assembly video I thought the same thing.

+1, but the OP makes it sound like there was no glue anywhere on the end caps. If that was the case, then the media that is there wouldn't be stuck to the end caps either, but it sure looks like it is in the photos.

Originally Posted By: tj90
I doesnt look like the filter element eroded away - it was just missing altogether. There were no glues or anything.

I inspected the filter and determined that it wasnt a situation where the filter media sprung back. It wouldnt do that because there was no glue where the pleats mate to the top and bottom.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Slim to none any oil was filtered - "path of least resistance" is a real deal theory ...

Wrong. Thats an old wive's tale "theory", misstated.
Reality is
Total Flow = Flow1 + Flow2
= deltaP/R1 + deltaP/R2, and both R1 and R2 are non-zero, deltaP is the same on each flow path.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Originally Posted By: 4WD
Slim to none any oil was filtered - "path of least resistance" is a real deal theory ...

Wrong. Thats an old wive's tale "theory", misstated.
Reality is
Total Flow = Flow1 + Flow2
= deltaP/R1 + deltaP/R2, and both R1 and R2 are non-zero, deltaP is the same on each flow path.

Delta=p is the same (and much lower) because the R through just the holes is much less than the R through the media. Therefore, the majority of the flow will be through the area not covered by media.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Delta=p is the same (and much lower) because the R through just the holes is much less than the R through the media. Therefore, the majority of the flow will be through the area not covered by media.
That's what the basic hydraulic formula says, yes. It also tells us that some fluid goes through the media because R2 isn't that terribly large. People sometimes think "all" flow goes through the lower-resistance path, which is not true.

Even if the end caps are missing glue, shouldn't the pleats have also been glued together where both ends of the filter media meet? There has to be some sort of seam whether crimped or glued to form the circular shape of the pleated filter media. Seems like that would be a separate step from adhering the end caps, and if that happened the media would have at least kept the proper shape regardless of end cap glue. Very odd.

Last edited:
I've seen other OCODs cut open and there isn't much media in them.

It looks like someone on lunch break (during or after smoking a joint of marijuana) didn't stretch the media all around the base's circumference.

I wouldn't buy the OCOD in the first place due to how little media was shown to be in them.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if "production run fun" didn't occur all the time. I don't go around thinking that cooks spit on the grills etc. but it's gotta happen.

Originally Posted By: Kira
I've seen other OCODs cut open and there isn't much media in them.

It looks like someone on lunch break (during or after smoking a joint of marijuana) didn't stretch the media all around the base's circumference.

I wouldn't buy the OCOD in the first place due to how little media was shown to be in them.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if "production run fun" didn't occur all the time. I don't go around thinking that cooks spit on the grills etc. but it's gotta happen.

The filter part is made on a machine. Somehow, the process controls did not catch it. It's worth investigation. If it is a 1 PPM failure, they may just make the customer happy. If it is a 0.1% failure rate, they should fix the line.

does it not say fram extra guard on both sides.. the pictures are of 2 different sides of the can?

Also their glued porous argument doesnt hold up.

Because the premium filters arent engineered media endcaps.

It might be "ok" but certainly not better or best (or even good IMO)

At any given moment there are likely 10s of millions of ExtraGuards in service without a glitch. A single find does not make an epidemic. It is a good reason to go find out what happened. Eventually I will be running ExtraGuards or ToughGuards. If I feel the need, I will use the Ultra.

Always a good idea to inspect every filter before buying. Take a flashlight and shine it down the center tube and make sure the media is there through the holes next time! I carefully inspect every filter I buy for this reason, can't be too sure.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Looks like the roll of media ran out and no on saw it.
That's what I was thinking too.

You guys have inspired me to publish my F150 oil filter comparison on another thread. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Delta-p is the same (and much lower) because the R through just the holes is much less than the R through the media. Therefore, the majority of the flow will be through the area not covered by media.
That's what the basic hydraulic formula says, yes. It also tells us that some fluid goes through the media because R2 isn't that terribly large. People sometimes think "all" flow goes through the lower-resistance path, which is not true.

With that much media missing I'd say the majority goes through that area, but yeah there will be "some" that still goes through the media. Probably not a lot in this particular case.

There were no glues or anything.

What's holding the media that is there to the end caps? It sure looks like the media that is there is attached. Did you try pulling the media off the end caps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back