FRAM extraguard really is garbage - check this out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tj90
Stinks to think that engine didnt have any filtering for 7k miles. Disappointed.

Is this your filter, off your engine? Did you do the dissection??

The position of the cut seams do not match between the top picture and bottom picture. Look closely where the cut goes through the words "Extra Guard".

Shouldn't there be visible glue on the end caps if the assumption here is that the pleated media was cut too short?

Air filter is more important. You know in the old days cars didn't even have oil filters.

Originally Posted By: KingCake
Air filter is more important. You know in the old days cars didn't even have oil filters.

Good point, Plus when you go to a quick lube sometimes the filter does not get changed every time anyway. lol.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Stinks to think that engine didnt have any filtering for 7k miles. Disappointed.

Is this your filter, off your engine? Did you do the dissection??

The position of the cut seams do not match between the top picture and bottom picture. Look closely where the cut goes through the words "Extra Guard".

I think it might be because the metal is slighty bent or pushed in during the cutting/opening process. Look at the first picture near the tapping plate. Maybe my eyes are just messing with me.

Wow!

OP, do you still have the oil? If so keep it and have Fram pay for advanced oil testing to see if anything is abnormal. You need particle counts.

Fram will need to find out if this was a one off or a problem with an entire run.

Wow!

Yeah - but the center tube has round holes ...
wink.gif

I no longer go below Fram Ultra - not even TG anymore ...

Slim to none any oil was filtered - "path of least resistance" is a real deal theory ...

Thanks for the interest guys. I am definitely going to contact FRAM. I really have no axe to grind with FRAM - this is not a hoax. I have images from many different brands - bosch, valvoline, mann, fram, porsche, motorcraft, supertech. I bought an oil filter cutter from Jegs a couple years ago because I was interested in how much of a difference there was between filters and construction. For instance, I wanted to know what the difference was between bosch premium and bosch premium plus. I can say that there is a huge difference in the amount of filtering media in the brands. I have typically found that the more expensive, the more filtering media. I know that there is much more at play, like the type of media, the valve etc...

I captured the production code on the filter, maybe Fram can figure out when the filter was produced. It was a filter from my own personal vehicle. I inspected the filter and determined that it wasnt a situation where the filter media sprung back. It wouldnt do that because there was no glue where the pleats mate to the top and bottom.

I am disappointed that my local wal mart stopped carrying bosch and substitutued the Fram synthetic in its place. I did install a fram synthetic in the place of this one so Ill be able to tell if they are constructed different. I wouldnt have bought the fram syn filter if I cut this one open before installing.

If you are reading this thread, then you are a motor oil nerd like myself. If you dont own one, I highly recommend a filter cutter. It has been a great learning tool and it allows you to make more educated decisions on the filter purchase as well as monitor the health of the engine. For instance, I bought a porsche 944 back from the dead (mothballed by previous owner for 5 years) and I ran 0w40 M1 through the engine as a flush. That engine oil is really too thin for a mid 80s car. Anyway, the M1 did exactly what I wanted - I was shocked at the amount of crud in the filter. The previous owner must have not run good quality oil or didnt change often. Subsequent changes dont have crud in the filter, but I can say the amount of oil leaking on th edriveway is 2x more!

Last edited:
I have images from many different brands - bosch, valvoline, mann, fram, porsche, motorcraft, supertech.

I looked through all your posts and didn't see any pictures of those filters.
confused2.gif

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I have images from many different brands - bosch, valvoline, mann, fram, porsche, motorcraft, supertech.

I looked through all your posts and didn't see any pictures of those filters.
confused2.gif

You're right - I should post them. I am building a personal database of filter and amount of filter surface area in filters. For instance, here is bosch D3312 for the same application...720 cm^2 of filtering goodness. Note the metal top and bottom caps versus paper on Fram. Also the can felt 2x as thick metal. Your idea is a good one because the BITOG community could build a databse much faster than I ever could...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Shouldn't there be visible glue on the end caps if the assumption here is that the pleated media was cut too short?

Yes, after watching the assembly video I thought the same thing.

For instance, here is bosch D3312 for the same application...720 cm^2 of filtering goodness. Note the metal top and bottom caps versus paper on Fram. Also the can felt 2x as thick metal.

Nice! I have this filter on my car now, one in the garage I was going to cut open today and several more from $1.25 clearance. The Odyssey uses it too. I hope I never discover a filter like you posted. That must have been quite a shock.

Tj90 - thanks for the cut&post. I have been opening filters for a couple of years now. This is a great way to keep tabs on oil filter quality. You can also see what is in the oil left in the filter.

I believe Fram will be very interested in this case. Let us know what they do.

Thanks again and keep up the good work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back