Four reasons why Subaru will stay num. one in AWD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Way back when I bought a used set of studded P205/55-SR16 tires and mounted them on muy old stock SVX wheels. Use them only occasionally in the dead of winter or when anticipating a trip into (or across?) the mountains...

Never ever was even close to being stuck or even inconvenienced.

SUBARU: All We'll Drive

Cheers!

This thread is funny. In the last snow event we had, we got maybe 8-12 inches for a week. I was driving my Ford truck anywhere and everywhere as if it was a sunny day outside. I was passing pretend japanese trucks in the ditches right and left. Many of them with 4WD or AWD. I live in an upper class yuppy neighborhood, they all drive expensive vehicles. Funny enough, the only one I actually towed out of the snow was my neighbor's Subaru. I think it's a 2013. It was simply too low to the ground.

Originally Posted By: supton
What's a pretend Japanese truck?

I was wondering the same thing. Is it a truck that's pretending to be Japanese or is it a Japanese vehicle pretending to be a truck? What does this vehicle even look like?

I don't think I've ever seen one.

Originally Posted By: Number21
This thread is funny. In the last snow event we had, we got maybe 8-12 inches for a week. I was driving my Ford truck anywhere and everywhere as if it was a sunny day outside. I was passing pretend japanese trucks in the ditches right and left. Many of them with 4WD or AWD. I live in an upper class yuppy neighborhood, they all drive expensive vehicles. Funny enough, the only one I actually towed out of the snow was my neighbor's Subaru. I think it's a 2013. It was simply too low to the ground.

My "pretend Japanese truck" does quite well in the snow. During a snow event this past winter I saw MANY "real American trucks" in the ditch and not able to climb the same hills as my "pretend" truck.
Maybe it has ZERO to do with the nation of origin of said truck....and more to do with the driving skill of the operator?

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Originally Posted By: Number21
...pretend japanese trucks...

My "pretend Japanese truck" does quite well in the snow. During a snow event this past winter I saw MANY "real American trucks" in the ditch and not able to climb the same hills as my "pretend" truck.
Maybe it has ZERO to do with the nation of origin of said truck....and more to do with the driving skill of the operator?

Funny, I've seen the same scenario in mine! Although my pretend Japanese truck was made in Canada so maybe that has something to do with it.

I'm also curious.

I've driven thru some pretty nasty snow. I've never once owned a 4WD or AWD vehicle. I still think the most important factor sits behind the steering wheel.

Originally Posted By: Mykl

is it a Japanese vehicle pretending to be a truck?

Bingo. Japan has never made a "truck"...

Originally Posted By: andrewg

No, it has to do with the fact that Japan builds tiny, underpowered economy cars with beds and calls them trucks. If you think that is as capable as any brand of American 1 ton pickup truck you are delusional.

Really? Please explain, in detail, EXACTLY how the Toyota I drove (with a 270HP, 478ci diesel engine, 26' box, and 33,000lb GVWR) is a "tiny, underpowered car". Be specific.

I know I've seen a few Toyota's labeled as 1Ton, the ones with duallys that seem to have been built into motorhomes; but outside of that, I'm pretty sure they have stuck with quarter-ton mini's and now 1/2's. Which everyone knows are not 1 tons. Oddly enough though they are generally respected, outside of rust issues, so I'm not sure where the hate is from.

Hino's and whatever (I think that is what Jarlaxle references) is a different story. But I don't think those are 1 tons either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back