Found this in my canister oil filter housing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like machining swarf and is probably from the housing itself when it was machined not the block as that didn't go through the oil galley. Nothing to worry about IMO.

The dealer isn't going to do anything, nothing is broken. I wouldn't worry about it, as mentioned it is from machining, although they could have done a better job cleaning up after machining. So much for engines being built "cleaner." I'll be sticking with dropping the oil early on a new car.

I hope this is seen by all the BITOGers who advocate following the OM with regard to the FF and first OCI.

I was always told as a kid, and always at college and during my apprenticeship, that you do the first OC as soon as you get the car home.
Seems like a good rule & cheap insurance

Originally Posted By: Olas
I hope this is seen by all the BITOGers who advocate following the OM with regard to the FF and first OCI.

I was always told as a kid, and always at college and during my apprenticeship, that you do the first OC as soon as you get the car home.

I was taught the same thing over 45 yrs ago. I often read on this forum that engines are built cleaner than ever but obviously these people have never been through a machining facility, its messy, it smells of hot cutting oils and coolant, metal swarf flying all over the place. At the high production rates they machine engines at there is no way in hades they can clean each one spotlessly.

I hope this is seen by all the BITOGers who advocate following the OM with regard to the FF and first OCI. ...
That big piece wasn't going to do any harm even if the filter had been left far longer, because the filter stopped it. The real danger was smaller chunks falling into the filter housing outlet upon removal of the filter. That risk has nothing to do with the change interval, either.

I may be getting a new vehicle soon. This begs the question : If I decide to bring it home and change the oil the first day, would it be a good idea to add some redline break in additive to the oil ? Maybe 2 quick change oci's are in order ? What about the transmission and differentials / transfer case ? Holy swarf Batman.

Originally Posted By: Trav

I was taught the same thing over 45 yrs ago. I often read on this forum that engines are built cleaner than ever but obviously these people have never been through a machining facility, its messy, it smells of hot cutting oils and coolant, metal swarf flying all over the place. At the high production rates they machine engines at there is no way in hades they can clean each one spotlessly.

I was taught the same thing probably about the same time.
wink.gif
I'm glad I stuck with the practice.

Depending on the dealer and their level of help it wouldnt be a bad idea to report this. In a perfect world the info would be sent to the plant that produced the engine. At least you can say that you tried.
(I have the same car with the same engine)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back