Found a credit card on the bus stop

Status
Not open for further replies.
While taking a walk around the neighborhood, I found a credit card (expiry 2023) near the bus stop. Someone must have pulled some change out of pocket and dropped the card. I wanted to just cut it and throw away but the wife thinks, it will be a better idea if I just call the bank and tell them that I found the card and they should cancel it. I will cut it and dispose it off.

What do you think is the best way forward?

My reasoning behind not bothering with a call,
- The card owner must have realized by now and called the bank to cancel the card. If not, I am just going to cut it and dispose it off so it will not be misused.
- I try to be a good samaritan and call the bank, I don't want to answer all the questions, where did you find the card, when did you find the card etc. They will not call the customer to inform him/her anyways and cancel the card at the end.
This comes more from one of the incidences. I found someone's food stamp card (most likely, not too sure what it was) at a grocery store. I went to the customer service to give it to them thinking that the person will come back to check. The look I got from those ladies as if I am the thief and I hated being a good samaritan, could have just cut and thrown the card away.
Since then, I don't feel like bothering to go out of my way. Cutting and throwing away the card is safe enough to avoid any misuse.

What would you do?

Call the bank.
I know I would appreciate your efforts if it were my card.

All good.

Or head to Costco and get a tv, new tires, etc.

I have found them before, sometimes left in an ATM machine. I just call the 800 number on the back of the card and the bank thanks me as they cancel the card and then contact the owner. I shredded them at home when I returned.

We hear a lot about credit card fraud of all kinds often but never about all the times when an individual misplaces his card and a good person like yourself tries to locate the owner. Thank you sir. We should all strive to be part of the solution and not the problem.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Call the bank.
I know I would appreciate your efforts if it were my card.

c.

I say call the bank. The card holder will be relieved that an honest person turned it in and can have some relief knowing that they won't have someone trying to steal their identity or using the card.

Give it to your wife to handle since it seems to be such an inconvenience to your life for you to call and spend a few minutes. I really don't think they care where and when you found it or what your name is either.

The correct answer is: do not go on an oil shopping spree!!
crackmeup2.gif

So, you don't want to spend a few minutes calling the bank so they can handle it, but you are willing to ask in a forum and wait to read a bunch of replies.

Okay.

The card owner may not yet know his card is missing. If he does, he deserves some closure. Either way, you should report it. Call the phone number on the card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back