Formula Shell

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does Formula Shell (5W30) compare to the other conventional oils?

Read on here from some old posts that the formula has been changed a few times over the years.

Any idea how it is now and OCI for a 2007 GM 6 cy 3.6?

Oil life monitor would have me leave it in over 10,000 miles, but that seems too long for me. Plus, sometimes I actually enjoy changing the oil.

Thanks

Last edited:
I used it for a few years in a beater I had and found it to be very good. I'm sure it will go the distance recommended by the car mfg. if the oil meets their spec.

Maybe not as robust an additive package as Pennzoil/Quaker State, but meets most manufacturers specs. Home Depot was selling it for $10 for 5 qts last time I was there and it went in the 2013 Rogue on the next oil change.

Originally Posted By: PhillyJoe
Home Depot was selling it for $10 for 5 qts last time I was there and it went in the 2013 Rogue on the next oil change.

I found a deal on Formula Shell at Home Depot too. I grabbed a few jugs. I think it they were about $12 each.

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
Basically it's a good dino for short oil change intervals.

Cool...that's what I was hoping for. Prob leave it in for about 5,000 miles?

Originally Posted By: forkian

Oil life monitor would have me leave it in over 10,000 miles, but that seems too long for me.

What engineering studies have you read that would disprove it?

I have used FS quite a bit over the years if it were me I would run it for 5 or 6 K then get a UOA and see if you can go more. My bet is it will look just fine for that millage. It's good oil

I've seen it go on sale at random at Home Depot several times lately for $1.98 qt and $10 for a 5 qt jug but haven't seen both sizes on sale at the same time.

Well, your 3.6 should -I think- only require GM6094M, which Formula Shell meets. So you're good there. What's the engine in?

GM 3.6 had a few problems with the cam chain. They now call for full synthetic which F shell is not. F Shell is a good conventional oil but it might not meet the specs called for. I know the 2008 3.6 GM puts in their Cadillac calls for Mobil 1 right on the filler cap. I would play it safe and bump the oil up a notch.

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
GM 3.6 had a few problems with the cam chain. They now call for full synthetic which F shell is not. F Shell is a good conventional oil but it might not meet the specs called for. I know the 2008 3.6 GM puts in their Cadillac calls for Mobil 1 right on the filler cap. I would play it safe and bump the oil up a notch.

It's a 2007 Pontiac G6 GTP 3.6. Does it now require synthetic?

It has had some conventional and some synthetic (depending on sale prices) during it's 100k miles so far.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back