Ford F150 DI carbon build up question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: FLORIDA
How do you like towing with the 3.5TT? I've got its little brother rated at 8,100 pounds towing, looking at a 4700 pound travel trailer right now. It will be
just shy of 6,000 pounds with gear and people. I wanted to try to stay well below my max to hopefully not stress out the turbos.

We like it. We've put about 7k on the trailer and the truck has 83k on it.

Our camper is 35', GVWR of 9900 lbs and I lucked into a Max Tow package F150. We've got a good hitch and it really does well. We're on the East Coast and we've had it up to NY State, down to the Outer Banks and it does great. It will hold speed in the mountains without much drama and generally tows like a Diesel. Only downside is it really has to downshift for good engine braking but it will do it. MPG while towing has been 7 as a low and 13 as a high.

Don't worry about the turbos - they are built to take it. Have fun camper shopping.

We don't really see any issues related to carbon deposits causing any issues. Now turbos going out and oil pans leaking are another story. Also it seems spark plugs tend to give up the ghost around 30K on these which is kinda not unusual for a forced induction engine.

I've had a 2016 2.7 for nearly a year now. 18,500 miles. I did a fair amount of research before I bought and while I found references to the DI 3.5 and 2.7 Fords coking up with deposits , when I dug deeper nobody actually had had issues with one that I could find. Certainly not a engine family problem. Other brand DI engines were mentioned and I suspect that a lot of internet mechanics simply assume Ford's will suffer the same fate. I personally know 3-4 people with older high mileage 3.5's and they've never had any engine problems. I have one friend that runs parts around the southeast for industrial supplier Motion Industries. He bought a new 2016 2.7 back in March 2016 and as of last week it was showing 145,000 miles. Pat follows the oil life monitor for his changes, which means he's changed his oil every 10,000 miles. He uses the Ford recommended Motorcraft semi synthetic and to this point he tells me the truck runs just as well as it did when he bought it. The engine also still has the original spark plugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back