Ford EcoBoost 1.0-litre timing belt runs in oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Reddy45
I could see this catching on if the belts are made to withstand all the snake oil that people seem to love putting in their oil. The belts will definitely run cooler and encounter less friction.

What about high mileage oil with rubber seal swellers? I cant see any whiz bang in a can or stop leaks playing well with these belts.

Originally Posted By: CR94
Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger
My owner's manual says that the belt can be changed at 150,000 miles, IIRC.
"Can" or should be changed that early? That's interesting, because I thought Ford's line on these initially (when the 1.0L was introduced) was that the oily belt is good for the life of the engine, and isn't expected to ever be replaced. Of course, that could be another way of saying the engine will last only as long as the belt.

It was supposed to last for the life of the engine ... but if the engine happens to last 150K, you should change the belt. ?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Exhaust manifold molded in to the head - no thanks. Engineers are doing anything possible to get that last 0.01 MPG.

Actually, a well designed integrated exhaust manifold is an effective setup for a turbo. Ford has done a great job managing airflow on the exhaust side, by directing the exhaust the proper direction right after the valves and smoothly merging them to the scroll.

m...ecoboost-ebm-ch

Mustang-EcoBoost-Twinscroll-1.jpg

Put another way, it's easy to redirect the exhaust flow immediately downstream of the valves, instead of forcing a sudden right angle change via a bolt on exhaust manifold. Sure, an equal length turbo header makes the most power. But that's something manufacturers don't typically due.

Now we can just toss the whole head manifold and all.
New at Rock Auto! Professional grade Ford head, cam and belt kit, inc water pump. Made in China $795.
lol.gif

This is a seriously quiet engine. It is so quiet that rev matching downshifts is a PITA. I want more noise.
grin.gif

The factory exhaust system (as well as the over-damped for NVH rear motor mount) on my ST's 1.6 EcoBoost was so darned SILENT and smooth, that I was burning up the clutch on take off due to not being able to tell what revs I was at on clutch release (I DO NOT look at the tach when first releasing the clutch!
31.gif
).

So I installed a 'proper' aftermarket, all 304 stainless system in it's place.
NO PROBLEMS now telling exactly where the revs are at, nor what the engine is doing at any time.
wink.gif
19.gif

Sure, an equal length turbo header makes the most power. But that's something manufacturers don't typically due.

Once this car is out of warranty, and I decide to go big(ger) turbo setup with it (and then have the coin to do so), it WILL get one of those aftermarket 304 stainless turbo headers at that time. (The 1.6 EcoBoosts DO have a separate, removable exhaust manifold.)
19.gif

This is a seriously quiet engine. It is so quiet that rev matching downshifts is a PITA. I want more noise.
grin.gif

Smooth, too. At least in the Focus. (Haven’t driven a Fiesta 1.0). Recently rented a 2016 Corolla and couldn’t believe how buzzy and loud it was compred to my 1.0 EcoBoost. The 1.0 is far more refined.

But that's something manufacturers don't typically due.

Apologies for the wrong word "DUE" instead of "do". Sure wish I could edit my posts for a couple of days to correct such stupid errors.

The Ecoboost engines with integrated exhaust manifold don't seem to be significantly held back in the HP department. Aftermarket tuners are getting 500-550 reliable HP from the Mustang's 2.3L Ecoboost for about $3500. They use the standard tricks of larger turbo and downpipe, higher boost, larger intercooler and tune. With good tires, 11 second 1/4 mile times are now the norm.

My turbocharged Honda S2000 2.2L engine makes a laggy 407HP at the wheels, and it's nowhere near as responsive or reliable as the Ford engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dailydriver
grin.gif

The factory exhaust system (as well as the over-damped for NVH rear motor mount) on my ST's 1.6 EcoBoost was so darned SILENT and smooth, that I was burning up the clutch on take off due to not being able to tell what revs I was at on clutch release (I DO NOT look at the tach when first releasing the clutch!
31.gif
).

So I installed a 'proper' aftermarket, all 304 stainless system in it's place.
NO PROBLEMS now telling exactly where the revs are at, nor what the engine is doing at any time.
wink.gif
19.gif

Since I don't have a spare $700 for a full system, I was thinking of replacing the center muffler/resonator with a piece of straight stainless pipe in the correct ID for well sealed lap joints, and using some good band clamps. I just wish I knew how it would sound. Worst case: it sucks and I end up buying the $700 Milltek system, anyway.

Newer GM “high feature” V6s like the LFX and LGX have integrated exhaust manifolds too.

Seems pretty common nowadays.

Honda also started the integrated exhaust manifold trend in the mid-2000s and probably earlier for the 1st gen Insight to help it meet SULEV standards in California.

Besides emissions by having the cats close to the engine for quicker light-off without resorting to electric heaters like BMW used in the 750iL it also helps with engine packaging in tight engine bays on transverse drivetrains. Now with TGDI engines, having a direct-coupled turbo helps keep costs down(unless we're talking dual-scroll turbos).

Originally Posted by Leo99
Wet timing belts and dry timing belts.

Why not a chain?

small engines with tiny counterweights and inertias, made to spin faster with minimal losses -- - lots of torsion peaks. thats one reason what killed (small) tsi chains
belts are smoothing the peaks, able to withstand those torsion peaks.

and more eff too
crazy2.gif
https://www.ngfeurope.com/~/media/NGF%20Europe/Site%20Content/News/Automotive%20Design%20Europe%20Feature.ashx

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Leo99
Wet timing belts and dry timing belts.

Why not a chain?

Weight, noise, contribution to shear, sensitive to particles, slipper blocks and tensioners subject to failure.

My dohc 32v v8 chews up oil like a puppy rips up the sunday times.

UD

Originally Posted by nthach
Honda also started the integrated exhaust manifold trend in the mid-2000s and probably earlier for the 1st gen Insight to help it meet SULEV standards in California.

^ - This. IIRC the Civic gained it with the R18 in the 2005/2006 Civic (Eight Gen) and I still see boatloads of those running around with paint worse for the wear. I think the V6 family got the integrated manifold not too long after. I would venture to guess that all Honda's you can buy today have the integrated exhaust manifold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back