Ford 6.0 PSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi i'm a fire fighter and also a fleet mgr with 1 6.0ltr. PSD and 5 7.3ltr. PSD. what is ford recomnding for people to us for oil in the new 6.0ltr PSD? i have not yet run into any problems with the injectors foming the oil but i also dont want it. also many ltr's of oild do the 6.0ltr and 7.3ltr do the PSD take? please any one who can help plz help me.

patriot.gif

I believe your PSD's take 4 gallons of oil. That's 15-16 quarts.

With the type of service your trucks get, especially in Maine, I would look at using a top quality oil. Also get on an oil anlysis program, this will allow you to use more expensive lubes, but extend the drains.

I would at least consider a synthetic or semi-synthetic, since I bet your trucks get started, then run full out going to calls. The oil is working hard before it has a chance to warm up.

Another thing to consider is by-pass filtration, this will save you money as well in the long run.

If you have any questions feel free to give me a call toll free 877-464-8798.
Good luck

MSPARKS

what grade of oil should i use. currently we are useing Mobial one which is a fully synthetic oil in a 15w30. what would u reconmend we have block htrs pluged in to the trucks. we have an Ford F350 SD with a 7.3PSD and a Ford E350 with a 7.3 PSD ambulance. what should we use? plsese let me know

Those International diesel engines in the Ford trucks use the engine oil as hydraulic oil to actuate the fuel injection.

Don't worry about foaming. Ford requires an oil with the API rating CI-4, and all CI-4 oils contain a suitable amount of antifoam agent.

For your Maine winter and quick starts, I'd use either a synthetic oil like Mobil Delvac 1, Shell Rotella Synthetic, Petro-Canada Duron, or Schaeffer's #700 (premium synthetic blend). All are CI-4, none will foam in the engine, all will best protect the engine in cases of cold starts and quick get-aways. All will be very good in your whole diesel fleet, not just the Fords.

Because of the unique fire duty...cold starts, lots of idling, few miles, I'd do a program of oil analysis to get the most for your money from these expensive oils.

Ken

Ken,

Good post and recommendations, right on the money. I was on my way out when I posted, with truck idleing for warm up.

cheers.gif

FF, hands down go with the Amsoil AME 15w-40 for your neck of woods and quick starts on cold days !

Michael Sparks is a straight shooter like all our BITOG Amsoil dealers !

Use the Amsoil in both the Fire truck and the personal new Ford PSD.

Your need of cold weather capability is critical when the trucks can't be prewarmed. AME is near perfect for that in both engines.

Used oil analysis for all.

quote:

Originally posted by Eddington Fire Department:
ok what would ford recomend for a 2004 Ford f350 Dully. i have herd that with certain oils the injectors will froth the. i have also herd if the gets frothed it will eventuly take out the engain. is this true? i just dont want the dept to have to replace the 6.0LTR engine. thanks for all ur help

patriot.gif

Ford would certainly recommend their own Motorcrfaft diesel oil of course, in 15W40 or 10W30. I have an 04' 350 Super Duty with the 6.0 liter. I started out using Mobil Delvac 1300 (15W40), then have been using Amsoil 15W40 synthetic (AME) and synthetic Delvac 1 (5W40) ever since. Personally I would recommend one of the two synthetics just mentioned, as they are both very good but my favorite is the AME. The consensus seems to be that the new 6.0 diesel is harder on oil than the 7.3 PSD. I do not believe you will have any foaming issues with ANY of the good CI-4 rated diesel oils on the market (Delvac, Delo, Amsoil, Rotella, etc.). However it has been suspected that overfilling the crankcase will cause a rough idle, romps among other unusual nuances, presumably this causes aeration of the oil. The main thing is not to overfill the crankcase. In addition some have reported that overfilling the crankcase or running the oil level at the top of the dipstick (after adding 15 quarts) has caused a little oil to get into the intake track and turbo inlet via the crankcase vent. This happened to me the first time I changed oil and filled it with 15 quarts. After running the level in the middle of the dipstick (halfway between min and max) this has not happened since. As someone else mentioned, you should only add between 13.5 and 14.0 quarts when changing the oil and filter on these engines. Then top off as necessary after checking the dipstick. Be sure to let the engine sit for at least 30 minutes to 1 hour before checking after running, or you will falsely add too much oil. One last thing, do not put the oil drain bolt back in the pan until you change the filter, as the oil in the filter housing will drain out and back down into the pan.

Ford recommends a 15W40 oil for your 7.3 liter PSD's. The recommended change interval is 3K miles Severe service and 5K miles for Normal Service. Yours fall under the Severe service schedule. Mobil I oil in ANY grade except 5W40 SUV, rated CI is not acceptable for your PSD's. You will need 13-14 quarts of oil per oil change. Fill and then run and check, you may need to add one more quart. Be sure to pre-fill the Full Flow filter.

In your temps. and type use, I would run Delvac I 5W40 year around. If it is not available locally, then Mobil I 5W40 SUV. Both of these oils are full synthetic and withstand the heat and cold in your area.

If cost is an issue, then you can run Delo 400, Delvac 1300S, Shell Rotell T in the 15W40 Grade. They are all rated CI for your fleet. Your vehicles are plugged in so you should have no start problems. My personal for your type use is Synthetic as I stated above.

smile.gif

ok what would ford recomend for a 2004 Ford f350 Dully. i have herd that with certain oils the injectors will froth the. i have also herd if the gets frothed it will eventuly take out the engain. is this true? i just dont want the dept to have to replace the 6.0LTR engine. thanks for all ur help

patriot.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Terry:

Your need of cold weather capability is critical when the trucks can't be prewarmed. AME is near perfect for that in both engines.

Used oil analysis for all.

Do you have hour meters on those trucks? I know that fire trucks and ambulances do a lot of idling.

My personal opinion would be to start an oil analysis program and change according to that. This is how I work with Farmers with tractors and other heavy equipment.

If you are looking to extend your drain interval I would seriously look into by-pass filtration. You can check out the section on this forum on By-Pass filters.

no we dont have hour meeters on them. I just bought a 6.0LTR PSD for my own use what should i do and what should i not do? I park it outside in the cold. should i plug it in at night? please help me. thanks

quote:

Originally posted by Eddington Fire Department:
no we dont have hour meeters on them. I just bought a 6.0LTR PSD for my own use what should i do and what should i not do? I park it outside in the cold. should i plug it in at night? please help me. thanks

If it has a plug by all means, keep that oil as warm as possible= less wear.

Any of the above suggestions for oil are great. As far as the block heater is concerned you should plug the trucks in around 40 degrees F. That is the temperature I plug my dumptruck in at. You ought to see the guys I work with that either forget or just don't care about plugging their trucks in, you would swear the engine is going to jar loose and fall on the ground!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back