Ford 1120 fuel additive

I'm guessing you're looking for a protection additive and not a winter one. But modern low Sulphur diesel isn't bad. I remember something about the early low Sulphur diesel needing extra lube and wouldn't run right in some applications like in heaters.

But you can use a light mix of 2 stroke or even sae 30 cf-2 in that old 4 stroke to help with that. Walmart sells either by the gallon which is where i buy. I use 2 stroke in gas and diesel ope since it's easier to have 1 jug for everything The regular diesel additives are great in protecting the emissions equipment but that doesn't have any.

Last edited:
Yes just want to take care of it the best I can.. I don’t use it in the winter. It stays in a heated garage. Just extra lubrication and cleaning.

IMO plain diesel is probably your best bet. I have seen messages on other forums for several recommendations from MMO to 2 stroke oil and everything in between. My personal opinion is diesel fuel only and change the fuel filters regularly.

Just my $0.02

Yes just want to take care of it the best I can.. I don’t use it in the winter. It stays in a heated garage. Just extra lubrication and cleaning.
The cleaning part isn't an issue if you just keep what you need in there, change the fuel filter regularly, and make sure the system doesn't become infected by making sure water doesn't get in so that means changing the fuel cap or just the seal if it looks flattened. The lubrication part isn't as big of a deal with modern diesel formulations but a bit of cf-2 sae 30 or 2 stroke mix works well. Many other forums say to mix a bit of either in. Some say one is better than the other. I think I'd use 2 stroke instead since it burns cleaner for sure.

Does that engine burn oil or have blow by.

Nope doesn’t burn a drop and no blow by.what is cf-2. I do have all stihl saws and weed eaters so just add some 2 stroke mix? If so how much ?

I wouldn't add anything special to the fuel. I only add the Power Service (endorsed by Cummins) diesel additive for winter use in my diesel equipment, and keep up on the filters.

I'm just going to add some general information, if memory serves. For my offroad workplace ag, equipment, I order/use what my supplier refers to as premium diesel vs. the bio diesel they also offer. I don't go through a whole lot of diesel and they told me the premium diesel will store better and no additives are necessary. They have a winter blend to combat gelling. If I remember correct, bio diesel cleans well and has added lubricity on its own.

If or when I occasionally use fuel additives, I use the summer or winter products from John Deere. I was told, but haven't confirmed, that these are Stanadyne products. One important item told to me is that there are two types of water removers: one "dissolves" the water and it passes through the fuel pump/injectors to be burned. The other type emulsifies the water and causes it to drop out in the filter. I was warned to use the emulsifier type as it was safer for the pump/injectors. I'm no expert on this stuff, but just sharing what I was taught. I welcome feedback.

Diesel fuel tends to need careful management in my opinion. Bio diesel can clean out crud in an old tank to the point of causing problems. I've read about algae and other crud/water problems in diesel.

Ty very interesting.. I just buy off-road diesel fuel here by my house in SW PA. I’m not sure and actually never knew there was eco and premium diesel??

Back