For What It's Worth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to relay my experience with MMO. Been using MMO in my wife's 2005 Xterra for three years now. Fill is 5 3/8 quarts. Been mixing a five quart jug of synthetic, although currently using NAPA in individual quarts on sale, and the remainder with MMO (approximately 1/2 quart). We live in North Georgia. I just changed her oil after she spent five days in Florida. I popped the oil fill cap and looked in and it was as shiny as a brand new dime. I hope the rest of the internals are as clean. I've never had to add a drop of make-up oil in the 46,000 miles it's been driven. I follow a 5000 OCI religiously. Her car purrs like a kitten and no start up tick of any kind. I've read these VQ engines are hard on oil. I've not encountered any problems to date. I feel comfortable using the 1/2 quart regimen in her full OCI and, although no scientific proof, believe it contributes to a smooth running, clean engine. I also add 3 oz. of MMO per ten gallons of gas with no problems to date. I currently use 5w-30 as per the owners manual. Just a question. Would I benefit by mixing some 5w-40 to the 5w-30 for a summer mix, i.e. Rotella 5W-40? Or would this be a problem? If beneficial, what blend would you recommend?

There are multiple factors here: 5K OCI on synthetic (which is way short). Mild Climate. MMO. 46K miles (which is new compared to all of mine...)

Of course it's clean!

There's not really going to be a benefit per se from the 5W40 and I would just stick with the 5W30 that the manual recommends.

Don't over-think this. You don't need the MMO, you don't need the synthetic. Use whatever you like of course, and like you, I prefer synthetic, but realistically, with a 5K OCI on a practically new car, you could run it on any quality oil and it will stay squeaky clean...
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Astro14. I do the 5K OCI's because my wife only drives 2.5 miles to work each way. That's why there is such low mileage on her six year old car. I was glad she took the trip to Florida for some extended run time. Thanks for the thoughts on the 5W-40 too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Then you're like me...err on the conservative side...

If your engine looks perfect, why change what you're doing?
grin.gif

Personally, with the "severe" driving style, I'd switch to a good conventional (Mobil Super Clean 5000 comes to mind) and run that for 5k.....Mobil backs their Super Clean 5000 for 5k miles anyways.....can't go wrong, and it's usually even cheaper than PYB at my local WM....

But yea, MMO is good to use, I use it too. In this case, you're using it as a "preventative" - obviously there should be nothing "dirty" in the engine with only 46k on the clock :p But hey, the MMO should KEEP it that way.

On top of that, for the 5 3/8 fill, the pint (halt quart) is about spot on. I'd say keep on ridin
smile.gif
Can't go wrong.

BTW, how are you measuring out your MMO at the pump?
smile.gif
I found the Lucas Fuel Injector (UCL) 5.25 oz. bottles work great - particularly for my ~14 gallon tank, my typical fill up is 12-13 gallons so it's about right on. Obviously, YMMV depending on your tank size.

Wife's car has a 21 gallon tank. I got her a 32oz clear plastic bottle with a tight lid to keep it from leaking and marked 3oz increments on the side. The Xterra has a perfect spot in the back for storing in between fill-ups. The bride has been pretty conscientious about adding it when filling up. She tries to get as close to 3oz per ten gallons as she can. I don't give a second thought to her not being exact. At least she's doing it.

Originally Posted By: Mfrank84
Just wanted to relay my experience with MMO. Been using MMO in my wife's 2005 Xterra for three years now. Fill is 5 3/8 quarts. Been mixing a five quart jug of synthetic, although currently using NAPA in individual quarts on sale, and the remainder with MMO (approximately 1/2 quart). We live in North Georgia. I just changed her oil after she spent five days in Florida. I popped the oil fill cap and looked in and it was as shiny as a brand new dime. I hope the rest of the internals are as clean. I've never had to add a drop of make-up oil in the 46,000 miles it's been driven. I follow a 5000 OCI religiously. Her car purrs like a kitten and no start up tick of any kind. I've read these VQ engines are hard on oil. I've not encountered any problems to date. I feel comfortable using the 1/2 quart regimen in her full OCI and, although no scientific proof, believe it contributes to a smooth running, clean engine. I also add 3 oz. of MMO per ten gallons of gas with no problems to date. I currently use 5w-30 as per the owners manual. Just a question. Would I benefit by mixing some 5w-40 to the 5w-30 for a summer mix, i.e. Rotella 5W-40? Or would this be a problem? If beneficial, what blend would you recommend?

Stick with what you're doing. I had a buddy that used MMO every OCI, 1 qt for the full OCI. A tradition passed down from his father. At ~ 200,000 miles I helped him replace his VC gasket. It was a Toyota back from the late 1970's. Spotless would have been an insult, and it ran like a top. My only suggestion is to try 4 ounces of MMO/10 gallons of fuel, that's if you haven't already done so.

Demarpaint,

Off topic, but I enjoy your responses to the many topics on this forum. I especially appreciate your signature asking God to bless our troops. My oldest son was a Navy corpsman and my youngest is a pilot in the Air Force who just started his rotation Thursday in that dung hole called the Middle East. Thanks again.

Originally Posted By: Mfrank84
Demarpaint,

Off topic, but I enjoy your responses to the many topics on this forum. I especially appreciate your signature asking God to bless our troops. My oldest son was a Navy corpsman and my youngest is a pilot in the Air Force who just started his rotation Thursday in that dung hole called the Middle East. Thanks again.

Thanks for the kind words. My son has been to Afghanistan 3 times. In fact 5 years ago today he left for Great Lakes, Navy Boot Camp. Thank both your sons for me!

Sure.. you could throw a qt. of 10-40 [I'd probably use the HDEO 15-40] in the sump.
It will offset the thin MMO in the summer, and even otherwise is OK to do.
But just one qt. substitution, unless you have a note from your doctor, lawyer, or mother.

For all the comments on how "hard" VQ35's are on oil, I've personally looked at 15 Used G35's with anywhere from 60-110k miles on them and ALL of them had spotless valve trains.

Random Coincidence? Maybe... or maybe they shear oil, but the water / oil cooler helps.

It's very easy to inspect on these engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back