For the Smoothie fans - Very interesting research on negative nutrition effect from adding Bananas

This is interesting. I eat bananas more than any other fruit, but mostly by itself or as something sweet after a meal.

This thread reminds me of a quote from a nutritionist that I heard once about rice, paraphrasing, “if you get to the point where the micro nutrient difference between brown rice vs white rice makes a difference, you have reached a new level of health and fitness that I no longer can help you with.”

Basically, the point he was trying to make is that yes it can be measured via data, but you are more than likely never going to be able to discern any difference in physical performance or health. And if you can, you don’t need the nutritionist anymore.
Well that's an opinion. One fact is that the GI of white rice is almost 50% higher than that of brown rice. That is metabolically significant. The best argument against brown rice is not that it's nutritionally barely superior to white rice but that brown rice contains higher levels of arsenic compared to white rice.

I eat a few bananas every week but I eat more avos than bananas. Plantains on occasion with Puerto Rican food or casado when I'm in Costa Rica.
I actually love to cook plantains.

On a side note ah-VAC-COE-DOE season seems to be ramping up. Perfect specimens available here. I pains me to buy them to his very day. We had a couple trees, granny had trees, uncle James Bacon was a avocado botanist...........being a poor kid we had bread with smashed cadoes for lunch before it was a thing. I'm the clown who had to leave So Cal. OK that part went OK.

I actually love to cook plantains.

On a side note ah-VAC-COE-DOE season seems to be ramping up. Perfect specimens available here. I pains me to buy them to his very day. We had a couple trees, granny had trees, uncle James Bacon was a avocado botanist...........being a poor kid we had bread with smashed cadoes for lunch before it was a thing. I'm the clown who had to leave So Cal. OK that part went OK.
Avocado toast with egg and Vegemite! I want that now but I'm fresh out of avocados.

Well that's an opinion. One fact is that the GI of white rice is almost 50% higher than that of brown rice. That is metabolically significant. The best argument against brown rice is not that it's nutritionally barely superior to white rice but that brown rice contains higher levels of arsenic compared to white rice.
The topic the nutritionist was speaking on was nutrient density and bio availability as it related to athletic performance. Which is more in line with the conversation of the thread. Glycemic index is typically used for people who are diabetic or closely watching their carbohydrate intake. In either case I think a sugary smoothie would not be recommended. It is unfair to take this one comment totally out of context.

The topic the nutritionist was speaking on was nutrient density and bio availability as it related to athletic performance. Which is more in line with the conversation of the thread. Glycemic index is typically used for people who are diabetic or closely watching their carbohydrate intake. In either case I think a sugary smoothie would not be recommended. It is unfair to take this one comment totally out of context.
Dr Sten makes zero distinction, rice is rice. I mean sometimes he will say something like brown rice is very slightly better. But yes neither is good if going grain carb free.

If your metabolism is in fine order and if you are eating a balanced diet it certainly won't matter if you eat a serving of white rice versus a serving of brown rice. But one third of the population has metabolic syndrome while over 10% have outright diabetes. Snce the article is in regard to athletes' performance the context of when and under what circumstances eating rice is advantageous should not be neglected and it hardly carries over to advice for most people.

White rice is so devoid of micro nutrients that for almost 80 years it has been fortified with at least 5 micro nutrients. This lack of nutrients caused a prevalence of beriberi in mostly Asia throughout the 19th century and up to the middle of the 20th century. Fortification may prevent deficiencies but nutritionally it's inferior to the nutrients in a less refined food.

Now @AutoMechanic will come along, having mounds of fried rice and plain white rice with his deep-fried chicken and egg rolls, empirically demonstrating that rice does a body good. :p

Last edited:
Dr Sten makes zero distinction, rice is rice. I mean sometimes he will say something like brown rice is very slightly better. But yes neither is good if going grain carb free.
Obviously, you should not eat rice if you are on a very low-carb diet. But what if you live in a country where the main food is rice and you only get small amounts of veg and even less quantities of meat and dairy? Beriberi, remember?

Last edited:
Back