For cars that see street and road race use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you run different oil and filters when you race than when the car is on the street?

When I time trial the car at NJMS, I tend to run a WIX 51060R filter and Racing oil.

Seems they trade off flow (9 - 11 GMP vs 28 GPM) for filtration size 21 micros vs 61 micros. Racing oil tends not to have the rust inhibitors and detergents of street oils.

So I run the car, drain and change back to street oil and filtration. Waste of time? What do you guys do?

Go with flow when given a choice. Make sure your oil pan pickup is staying covered in corners. Watch your OP gauge for clues. Bearings don't like air under hi load. Use a quality full synthetic oil in this application.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Engine specs?

383/450hp Chevy with a Melling Performance HV oil pump and Canton 6 quart Road Race Oil Pan. The application is street driven, but also run in time trials at Lime rock and Lightning and Thunderbolt in New Jersey.

Roller cam?

Yes, Comp Cams Hyd Roller

Eagle 4340 Forged Steel crank
Scat 4340 Forged Steel 1-Beam, 6.000" Long
Mahle Forged Pistons
Mahle Plasma-Moly Rings
Comp Cam Pro Magnum 1.6
Clevite H-Series
Brass Pioneer Core Plugs
Comp Cams Hydraulic Roller Comp Cams Magnum
Cloyes True Roller
Heads: AFR 195cc

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about the racing filter. A standard filter will have enough flow so as not to be a restriction to your engine. I'd worry more about oil temps; making sure the oil is to temp prior to a run, then making sure it's not over temp while running and keeping the pick up covered.

Have you considered just going with a K&N oil filter, which will flow well and a stout street oil like M1 0W-40?
I'm assuming that you drive this car to the venues.
Changing the oil and filter after a tiring track day would be a pain.

Is this a basic SBC block/heads, or is it a 2nd gen LT1 ('92-'96 Vettes/'93-'97 f bodies)??

I know you told us before, but I forgot, and can't find the thread.

In any case, I also just use what's in my sig (albeit Millers labels it a 'race' oil).
wink.gif

Yes any synthetic 5W-30 such as M1 and standard oil filter would be more than up to the job.
For track use, keep an eye on your oil pressure and oil temp's.
If you do see high oil temp's, greater than 250F, you could consider thickening the oil up with some M1 0W-40.
A full sump of M1 0W-40 would be heavier than necessary for what is still primarily a street car.

I think Royal Purple oil filters were made to flow well but still allow great engine protection.

I just use them because they were the only full synthetic filter I could find when I got my car.

I run M1 0W-40 in my 3er track toy and M1 5W-30 in my workbeater/reserve track rat MS3. At a typical HPDE they will spend anywhere from 3-4.5 hours on the track. Since I run in the instructor sessions with a "pass anywhere with a point-by" rules the cars get thrashed pretty thoroughly. The UOAs performed after an HPDE are indistinguishable from a UOA with a similar OCI where the car did not see a track event.

I just use the same oil and filter for street use that I use in HPDE or TT events. You could consider putting an Accusump on the car.

Originally Posted By: RoadRace
Roller cam?

Yes, Comp Cams Hyd Roller

Eagle 4340 Forged Steel crank
Scat 4340 Forged Steel 1-Beam, 6.000" Long
Mahle Forged Pistons
Mahle Plasma-Moly Rings
Comp Cam Pro Magnum 1.6
Clevite H-Series
Brass Pioneer Core Plugs
Comp Cams Hydraulic Roller Comp Cams Magnum
Cloyes True Roller
Heads: AFR 195cc

This all sounds nice. Especially the AFR heads. I have AFR 190CC heads on my Corvette. What kind of car is this in?

Originally Posted By: steve20
what-----? no more racing on 231?

The developers, duffers, and uppity/snooty local 'gentry' conspired to close down what was one of the nicest, historic, and most interesting road courses in this land, which was right in his backyard, sadly enough. (Bridgehampton, if you have not figured that out by now.)

I'm proud to say that I did a Time Trial at Bridgehampton in 1990, just a couple of months before I moved back to Indiana. Vicious track, lots of blind entry turns, and sand off both sides of the track. The basic instruction was if you saw you were going off track, do anything to make sure you drove straight off. Otherwise, you'd roll. Two cars rolled on the day I was there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back