Florida Proposed Property Tax Reduction?

You should pave paradise….and put up a parking lot! 🙂
The young lads here may not know the Joni Mitchell tune...............

They paved paradise, put up a parking lot
With a pink hotel, a boutique, and a swingin' hot spot
Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone
They paved paradise, put up a parking lot
(Ooh, bop-bop-bop-bop, ooh, bop-bop-bop-bop)

I just received a letter from Flagler County about a proposed tax reduction.
On vacant lots it looks like if it goes through, I would get maybe 6.5% off.
It gave me the figures and it comes out to the figure above.
Better than an increase.
That will be offset by your increased homeowners and auto insurance premiums when you move there. I've had a second home in FL for 12 years, and costs are escalating rapidly.

That will be offset by your increased homeowners and auto insurance premiums when you move there. I've had a second home in FL for 12 years, and costs are escalating rapidly.
Yes. They purport some type of positive change, but they make adjustments elsewhere to still make no difference in your financial output to government. Not that I am against taxes to support necessary infrastructure and programs. In Michigan, they touted the lottery and how much it would support and improve our K-12 school system. Ya, right. They just reallocate the funding. They think we are stupid.....oh, wait...:unsure:

There's a local St Charles County senator that's been yapping about doing away with Missouri's personal property tax for years. Who wants to pay an annual tax for their car? Bla,bla,bla. Only problem is that complex tax formulas would allow roll up of real property tax rates to voted maximum as total property tax rolls decreased. Who in my county has the most personal property? The Amazon warehouse? The GM Wentzville plant? Boeing? My 2017 Kia Soul? Asked him who paid him to write this turd? He stammered that he was in office to save overall taxes. Sure. Every state is different and personal property taxes are usually a pain in the ****. Remember getting a declaration form that included how many pairs of pants I owned when I was a senior at South Dakota State almost sixty years ago. Wonder what the late charge on that would be if I ever moved back?

Florida Real Estate taxes are directly tied to the estimated value of the home. Since property values are rising rapidly and building new homes is booming....Florida's tax receivables are going up, up, up.

Florida Real Estate taxes are directly tied to the estimated value of the home. Since property values are rising rapidly and building new homes is booming....Florida's tax receivables are going up, up, up.
Isnćt that what buyers wanted? Increase in value?
The value of my home went up like 80% in the last 10yrs. Everyone I talked to was just full of joy. This year property taxes finally caught up with value, and you cannot open a neighborhood Facebook page to check some useful stuff, without someone complaining about taxes. Same people who were usually super proud of values going up.

Isn't that the way property taxes work in Florida? I thought that taxes are based on a budget and the rate adjusted every year to try to meet the budget and possibly any previous years' shortfalls - up to a maximum.

Isnćt that what buyers wanted? Increase in value?
The value of my home went up like 80% in the last 10yrs. Everyone I talked to was just full of joy. This year property taxes finally caught up with value, and you cannot open a neighborhood Facebook page to check some useful stuff, without someone complaining about taxes. Same people who were usually super proud of values going up.
Here is why. If inflation is 10% but home values go up 100%, the local government only needs another 10% to cover their increased costs. The right thing to do is decrease the mill levy so they net the extra 10%, not keep it the same and try and see what frivolous things they can spend the extra 90% on.
In the 70s California real estate exploded in value. Local governments and the state kept the mill rate the same and their collections boomed. They basically robbed the property owners because they could. Then the voters rebelled and passed Proposition 13, limiting property tax to 1% of the value, plus limiting annual increases. Government agencies and special interest groups screamed, but the Prop 13 limitations stuck, and taxpayers received some relief.

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
Here is why. If inflation is 10% but home values go up 100%, the local government only needs another 10% to cover their increased costs. The right thing to do is decrease the mill levy so they net the extra 10%, not keep it the same and try and see what frivolous things they can spend the extra 90% on.
In the 70s California real estate exploded in value. Local governments and the state kept the mill rate the same and their collections boomed. They basically robbed the property owners because they could. Then the voters rebelled and passed Proposition 13, limiting property tax to 1% of the value, plus limiting annual increases. Government agencies and special interest groups screamed, but the Prop 13 limitations stuck, and taxpayers received some relief.
I am fine with paying higher salaries to firefighters, police, and teachers (already underpaid). This year in CO, lunch is free across all districts, and preschool is paid by 50% and for some 100%. It is OK; it is an investment in the future.
Those who think "I made it all on my own" can keep on dreaming.

Back