Flooring opinions when looking at houses

I hate real hardwood flooring. No matter how well you take care of it it ends up going to hell anyway. After 16 years the hardwood in my home needs to be replaced soon. But tile and similar options pretty much last forever which is what my last home had. The original white tile floor lasted almost 4 decades until it was replaced from looking old style but not actually needing to be replaced.
Yup no real hardwood for me

I hate real hardwood flooring. No matter how well you take care of it it ends up going to hell anyway. After 16 years the hardwood in my home needs to be replaced soon. But tile and similar options pretty much last forever which is what my last home had. The original white tile floor lasted almost 4 decades until it was replaced from looking old style but not actually needing to be replaced.

16 years is a very short life for real hardwood floors or even plank style. One home in our family is 102 years old with the original hardwood floors. They still look beautiful.

A couple years ago my local salesman said you can put LVP over other floors and I looked at him and said....even shag carpet...lol
But I don't like slapping floors over floors...

16 years is a very short life for real hardwood floors or even plank style. One home in our family is 102 years old with the original hardwood floors. They still look beautiful.
It's more to do with rot. If an ice cube falls or a spill happens I'll pick it up and dry it with a paper towel within 10 second but even then slowly but surely it rots and when you knock it sound a little hollow. It's mostly the kitchen but in two corners of the house it seems ants went it from underneath the floor and rotted the wood out out so it's unsightly. In some rooms the wood looks perfect but i don't wanna have a combination of new and old flooring. In the dining section I'll constantly replace the little foam pads under all the chairs but even then the wood is all scratched. I'm just gonna replace it all once the time comes. Probably in 5 years tops as that's when my wife will start nagging enough. But for now she's not saying much.

Tile over concrete, wood flooring on any wooden floor. Carpet to keep bedrooms quiet.

Tile over wood is asking for trouble, and wood over concrete, while possible, is also asking for moisture problems.

Cork is an interesting material.

But, get "unfinished cork", so that then after installing, you can put the urethane coating yourself to fill in all the nooks and crannies of all the joints of the cork material, sealing it in, and preventing dirt from getting through the cracks.

THE KEY IS ONE TYPE OF FLOORING THROUGHOUT

Don't you really mean one type of flooring for a given floor in the house?
I can easily see a different floor in the basement vs main floor vs top floor with all the bedrooms.
As in Epoxy coated concrete in the basement, hardwood on the main floor, then carpet on the stairs to upstairs and in the upstairs area (except on the upstairs bathroom).

Gents,

Please keep in perspective this is a ranch home being flipped. The flooring will be all new, the quality/ wearability of the flooring is not part of the equasion. What counts is to not have the flooring "brooken up", and the flooring cosmetics. Just ask my Wife.......

Polished concrete
Depending on the decor polished concrete can look beautiful, but it would never work in my home and its design. In Mexico the standard flooring across the entire house is just bare unpolished concrete. You're fancy if you have tile over it. But I've never seen a polished concrete floor down there. It's just not a concept people think of. Carpet is also completely non existent. Wood is very rare.

Don't you really mean one type of flooring for a given floor in the house?
I can easily see a different floor in the basement vs main floor vs top floor with all the bedrooms.
As in Epoxy coated concrete in the basement, hardwood on the main floor, then carpet on the stairs to upstairs and in the upstairs area (except on the upstairs bathroom).
The home SA is flipping is a ranch= single floor. I assume there is a basement many Ohio ranches.

Yes, one type of flooring for a given level. The reason people carpet stairs is thought to be noise reduction, but actually carpeting stairs is very cost effective, when compared to stair treads. carpet on stairs is often safer, as caps on star treads are often not level. Bt cqarper on stairs is not considered a quality flooring by some buyers.

The home SA is flipping is a ranch= single floor. I assume there is a basement many Ohio ranches.

Yes, one type of flooring for a given level. The reason people carpet stairs is thought to be noise reduction, but actually carpeting stairs is very cost effective, when compared to stair treads. carpet on stairs is often safer, as caps on star treads are often not level. Bt cqarper on stairs is not considered a quality flooring by some buyers.

I see a lot of example of modern stairs with wood or even glass treads and I wonder, how many people have slipped?

Carpeting really adds to a secure footing on stairs plus it cuts way down on noise.

Depending on the decor polished concrete can look beautiful, but it would never work in my home and its design. In Mexico the standard flooring across the entire house is just bare unpolished concrete. You're fancy if you have tile over it. But I've never seen a polished concrete floor down there. It's just not a concept people think of. Carpet is also completely non existent. Wood is very rare.
What about the Terra cotta tile floors? I guess that could fall under fancy in Mexico. Polished concrete is a sort of new thing even in the US homes and small businesses. No longer just in warehouses.

new houses , rentals ,flips , most what i see is vinyl plank these days. looks ok , durable and comes in many colors to satisfy . easy to install also. grey seems to be the most popular color.

for a flip i would never put in hardwood. you will not get your money back. tile is too much work.

What about the Terra cotta tile floors? I guess that could fall under fancy in Mexico. Polished concrete is a sort of new thing even in the US homes and small businesses. No longer just in warehouses.
Terracotta tile is somewhat common. But really any home that has any kind of tile is regarded as being owned by the more well to do who can afford to spend on luxuries. Tile is typically only for the shower floor if even that. But i've still been to plenty of homes in the recent years that have zero tile anywhere. In fact i didn't see plush carpet in a home for the first time in my life until i was 23 while in California at someone's apartment. Mine was just tile. I just gave it a long look then got on my knees and brushed it with my hand and it felt nice. I have seen that really short flat carpet in stores before then but it wasn't surprising to me.

My house was built in 1949/50. It has red oak flooring inlaid with decorative tiles in certain places. I do have some carpet and a couple of rooms that I can just rip it up and have the red oak flooring. Most rooms have some sort of Oriental rug. And yes the bathrooms are tile floor.

I just read now that this is for a house to flip. I would say vinyl flooring would be the best and the cheapest and the quickest to install.

Last edited:
The LVP comes in all kinds of styles and looks these days. A friend just had a bathroom redone and the contractor put in vinyl plank that looks like limestone tile. The old floor was carpeting over concrete so this was a huge improvement.

Reactions: GON
Back