FlexHead Ratchet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before you purchase anything, visit the website of Harry Epstein Tools out of Kansas City.
Lots of (mostly) American-made tools, some of them discontinued, some of them not.

I dare you to find a better built 3/8 drive flex head ratchet for the money.
http://www.toolsdelivered.com/Williams-B...het-Drive-Tools
619ZroKy9IL._SL1500_.jpg

Originally Posted By: old1
I wonder if SK Wayne still makes the one I bought 50 years ago. It is different than all the others. It pivots in the center of the socket, and you can spin loose bolts/nuts with it. I would hate to be without it. I wore out the mechanism a few years ago, and they gave me a repair kit and it is like new again.

Yeah, those are the roto ratchets. If I remember right SK Wayne first came out with the design, very handy, I prefer it over my flex head.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: Trav
The old Craftsman were very good but don't confuse the trash they peddle now with them, the new ones are Chinese scrap metal.

This Proto is a good tool, its actually made by Facom in Italy or France. Good buy for the money.

Proto

The Williams is USA made and basically an old Snap On. With 36T it should be good and strong.

Williams

The Proto looks like it will fit into some small spaces!

I'll know more when it arrives on Thursday (Prime shipping)...

Cheers!

Nice!
thumbsup2.gif

When I had to replace an exhaust gasket I grabbed a cheap flex wratchet from Tractor Supply for like $13. It’s actually my preferred ratchet due to being just as long as my 1/2 but with a narrower profile.

I have the Proto at work that Trav mentioned and I also have the USA Craftsman in 3/8 and 1/2 that Astro recommended. Both are great, the Proto feels a bit more refined but I prefer a lever to switch direction.

While not a professional level wrench like SK, Williams or Proto, what about one of the 120 tooth Gearwrench flexhead ratchets like the 81210P http://www.gearwrench.com/gearwrench-81210p-3-8-120xptm-cushion-grip-teardrop-flex-head-ratchet.html

I have the 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" drive ratchets and they are sweet! Only thing is the 1/2" drive flexhead ratch does not come with the cushioned handle. Also, none of these are quick release, but so far I haven't had any sockets fly off in use.

Can find some good prices on them on Amazon.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
I have the Proto at work that Trav mentioned and I also have the USA Craftsman in 3/8 and 1/2 that Astro recommended. Both are great, the Proto feels a bit more refined but I prefer a lever to switch direction.

That's the problem, if you cant find one NOS your out of luck. Even though the old craftsmans look alike they were made by different manufacturers like , SK, JH Williams (pre Snap-On, Armstrong, Western Forge, etc and one of the best the V code made by Easco.

The finish on these tools was for the most part was a little less refined than their big name counterparts but the steel and internals were top shelf. The new version is a very cheap copy of these tools.
If anyone goes to flea markets and come across Craftsman tools anything with a V or K are the ones to grab. A set of pro wrenches with a tiny K stamp mark are SK.

Originally Posted By: chemman
While not a professional level wrench like SK, Williams or Proto, what about one of the 120 tooth Gearwrench flexhead ratchets like the 81210P http://www.gearwrench.com/gearwrench-81210p-3-8-120xptm-cushion-grip-teardrop-flex-head-ratchet.html

I have the 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" drive ratchets and they are sweet! Only thing is the 1/2" drive flexhead ratch does not come with the cushioned handle. Also, none of these are quick release, but so far I haven't had any sockets fly off in use.

Can find some good prices on them on Amazon.

I have seen those and the pricing on Amazon makes them even more tempting. Are these USA made?

Not sure what country they are manufactured in, but according to an Apex Tool Group Sales Representative I met at a tool show in 2015, the GearWrench line of tools is supposed to be a notch or two above the Craftsman line of tools, and Apex used to manufacture the Craftsman ratchets before Sears decided to go cheaper.

What he told you is false. The Apex brand was created in 2010 by a company that made tools for Craftsman but they were sold off to Bain Capital holding company.
Gear wrench are no where near the old Craftsman quality, they are today a DIY tool albeit a nicely finished one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apex_Tool_Group

Edit: GearWrench is an old brand that was pretty decent. Apex ruined it when they started making them in China for higher profits. Find pre 2010 tools and they are better than the ones on the shelf today.

http://www.gearwrench.com/brands-timeline

Last edited:
GW is good stuff, but really no different than HF ratchets, sockets, and ratcheting wrenches. They have the same COO's too.

The Apex brand was created in 2010 by a company that made tools for Craftsman but they were sold off to Bain Capital holding company.

Apex goes back way further than the Bain Capital acquisition. Apex even goes back further than the Danaher acquisition. Apex was a division of Cooper Tools before Danaher bought Cooper Tools. Apex was a brand that made specialty fastener tools for the Aerospace industry. Even today they still have their own catalog.
https://www.apexfasteners.com/fasteners/images/ApexToolGroupCatalog.pdf

No, its not horrible stuff but it was much better when it was Taiwan made that's all i'm saying. The HF Snap-On copy made in Taiwan is as good a tool at a much lower price.
One company is trying to improve its name and products and the other owned by a holding company that is trying to bleed the brand for every last penny and couldn't care less if the quality takes a slight hit to do it.

Look what Apex has done to other once great tool brands.

Originally Posted By: das_peikko
The Apex brand was created in 2010 by a company that made tools for Craftsman but they were sold off to Bain Capital holding company.

Apex goes back way further than the Bain Capital acquisition. Apex even goes back further than the Danaher acquisition. Apex was a division of Cooper Tools before Danaher bought Cooper Tools. Apex was a brand that made specialty fastener tools for the Aerospace industry. Even today they still have their own catalog.
https://www.apexfasteners.com/fasteners/images/ApexToolGroupCatalog.pdf

That's right and GearWrench goes back to the 20's but as they are today is another story.

No, its not horrible stuff but it was much better when it was Taiwan made that's all i'm saying. The HF Snap-On copy made in Taiwan is as good a tool at a much lower price.
One company is trying to improve its name and products and the other owned by a holding company that is trying to bleed the brand for every last penny and couldn't care less if the quality takes a slight hit to do it.

Look what Apex has done to other once great tool brands.

Last time I was at Menards (1 year ago?) they still had the Masterforce line on the shelves. Even at that time, the folks on the web were saying they were no longer. Thought about getting a few of their sockets, but meh. To me, their ratchets look weak.

Also, why does he have Trusty Cook hammers on the table? Those are still made in USA. Right down in Indianapolis actually. My employer has their spindle liners and they give you a free #1 or #2 soft face dead blow with each purchase. Their dead blow ball peens are nice too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back