Flat on interstate - permanent damage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is somewhat common I see. Take it off the rim and see. If there is rubber dust,its trash. If the sidewall is mushy its trash. If both are fine, it is fine.

That's good to know about continental's own road hazard warranty. We are definitely within their wear range for a replacement.

I suspect that there is damage inside. It only takes a hundred feet or so at speed to get enough damage to ruin a tire. My best gues is that the tire needs to be replaced.

Of course, the only way to tell is to dismount the tire, but the damage on the outside kind of indicates.

The alternative is to plug the tire and hope for the best. The risk here is that the tire might fail - and they tend to do so under the highest stress - which means at high speed. If the tire will only see 35 mph max, then it might be worth the risk, because there is a low risk of the vehicle losing control at 35 mph. But at 50 mph or more, a tire going down could result in something tragic.

Agree to internal damage, especially seeing the brand. Continentals are an excellent tire but their Achilles heal is the sidewall. I know this first from prior ownership, and from research I've done considering purchasing them. I would not put air in it.

Last edited:
Another note is that in the recent past Continental's / General's warranty stated that flat repairs voided any treadwear warranty (firsthand experience) so you were basically locked to pro-rata replacement if a puncture happened if not covered by a road hazard policy, which it seems they have now gone towards and revamped the warranty package. But still no clarification of the treadwear warranty... http://www.continentaltire.com/warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back