First time doing a "full" detail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
This is what I would do:

1) Meguiar's Gold Class shampoo
2) Clay Magic clay bar
3) IPA WIPE DOWN to help sealant bond to surface.
4)Finish Kare #218 Poly Conditioner or Blackfire sealant.
5) Adam's Detail Spray - Wait at least 24 hrs after previous step otherwise it will affect the curing process.

Even better would be to eliminate the detail spray and go with some Optimum spray wax to add some depth and a bit more protection after 24 hours. Then use Adam's detail spray as a drying aid after maintenance washes in between details.

SS, you're 100% correct about waiting the 24 hours. It's also recommended to wait this long if you want to layer the BLACKFIRE. I usually wait a few hours, because my son leaves to get back to his home. So, I have to get him to do the detail spray before he leaves. The detail spray makes the BLACKFIRE pop.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
I know a DA polisher will be the best but I'm afraid I won't properly use it. A little too much pressure in one spot, and BAM, I end up burning through the paint.

False belief, a ROTARY polisher can easily burn through but not a DA style. It's not impossible but you would have to be intentionally trying to even possibly do so.

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
I know a DA polisher will be the best but I'm afraid I won't properly use it. A little too much pressure in one spot, and BAM, I end up burning through the paint.

False belief, a ROTARY polisher can easily burn through but not a DA style. It's not impossible but you would have to be intentionally trying to even possibly do so.

I have seen some real "WANNA-BE" detailer's hologram a paint job so bad with a rotary polisher that it had to be wet sanded to fix it correctly.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
I have seen some real "WANNA-BE" detailer's hologram a paint job so bad with a rotary polisher that it had to be wet sanded to fix it correctly.

I saw this black 5 series BMW that had "rooster tails" in the paint after a hack used a rotary on it. Looked horrible in the sun.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

I agree especially considering the clear coat is as thick as a human hair. Try a cheapie "wax spreader" machine at Walmart fpr around $20 depending on the model. Does a great job at spreading the sealant evenly. Then switch bonnets to the MF one for sealant removal. Finally makes this an enjoyable task versus a pita doing it by hand.

i have one of those cheap wax spreaders and, yes...it is kinda neat for applying and removing wax. BUT, I don't think it has enough horsepower to remove the scratches in his car. Then again, maybe a cleaner wax and wax buffer/spreader would would.

As others have mentioned, do yourself a solid and purchase the Harbor Freight DA polisher. If you try this by hand, you won't get results that will be worth your effort. Not to mention elbow grease method is just killing yourself. I'm not on here everyday, but if interested, I would be glad to point you the right direction for doing a proper paint correction / detail. Just PM if interested, I can send links to videos (not my own) and products that I have used and had good experience with. I don't want to list here unless asked to do so.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back