First oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love how most here advice people to follow the manual yet when it comes to the factory fill the same people change it out early. Keep it simple Stoopid.

Originally Posted by deven
I love how most here advice people to follow the manual yet when it comes to the factory fill the same people change it out early. Keep it simple Stoopid.
Well, cough, cough, that IS a tad bit ironic/rich -- coming from a "Proud user of ROYAL PURPLE products!"

Not to worry, of course. I've been a member here for ~15 years (with one long break...) and it's clear that we all have some degree of inconsistency. Happens when everyone comes with their own body of knowledge and unique set of opinions... Not me, of course -- I used to be conceited, but now I'm perfect!
laugh.gif

Well, the manual does not say anything about not changing it early, so by doing so it is not against what the owners manual says (I don't know of any owners manuals that say not to change early, are there?).

Owners manuals also say transmission fluid (and differential fluid) does not need to be changed till 100,000 miles (or never according to some), and we all know how well that works out for some models.
I don't think I have ever seen a change interval for power steering fluid, but most vehicles are better off for it.

Originally Posted by blupupher

Well, the manual does not say anything about not changing it early, so by doing so it is not against what the owners manual says (I don't know of any owners manuals that say not to change early, are there?).

Owners manuals also say transmission fluid (and differential fluid) does not need to be changed till 100,000 miles (or never according to some), and we all know how well that works out for some models.
I don't think I have ever seen a change interval for power steering fluid, but most vehicles are better off for it.

Well I know Honda usually tells you not to change their FF early but that is not the point. The point is that if FF was that harmful to your engine I'm sure every manual would state to change it out early.

As for all the other fluids I always go by the manual. I have never changed transmission fluid in cars that say it's a lifetime fluid and I've yet to have a transmission problem. I also very rarely touch the power steering fluid but the newer cars I have owned all have electronic power steering so one less fluid to worry about.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ekpolk
Well, cough, cough, that IS a tad bit ironic/rich -- coming from a "Proud user of ROYAL PURPLE products!"

Not to worry, of course. I've been a member here for ~15 years (with one long break...) and it's clear that we all have some degree of inconsistency. Happens when everyone comes with their own body of knowledge and unique set of opinions... Not me, of course -- I used to be conceited, but now I'm perfect!
laugh.gif

What is so ironic about me using Royal Purple?

Yes we are all humans with our habits and vices which makes this board interesting at times. Life is short and I'm not going to worry about little things like dumping FF oil early or not. I have an OLM in my car and I simply choose to follow it.

2017 Tundra 5.7. I went 10,000 miles on the factory fill like Toyota says to.Changed the oil and filter and on to the next 10,000mi. Used very little if any oil in that first 10k. Running Schaeffers 0-20 since 10,000 now at 21000mi.

Yes
1000 miles
No

The only new car I ever bought was changed at 1000, 3000 and then every 5000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back