First bottle of Macallan 12 scotch...underwhelmed

I like single malts, and I'm OK with spending up to about $100 for a nice everyday bottle. It always struck me odd that Macallan charges SO much for a basic 12 year old, but I bought the blue label one the other (not the sherried red label). Thought I'd give it a whirl. It's fine, but no better than any other 12 year old, and for $69 it was no bargain. For that kind of money I'd rather have Glenmorangie Nectar d'Or, which coincidentally, is my current favorite.

I guess Macallan is perceived as being something special, and maybe their higher-end expressions ARE special, but the 12 is NOT.

Last edited:
Funny you mention Laphroaig...I have Ardbeg 10 and Lagavulin 16 too. If I want to get punched in the face with "liquid campfire" I prefer the Lagavulin...there is an underlying sweetness that cuts the smokiness and peat. I have never tasted Oban...I'll be on the lookout.

liquorcab.jpg

You’re well stocked, sir!

Oban is really a wonderful Scotch.

The distillery is right by the base of Ben Nevis. I drove by it on my way to the Ben, but didn’t have time for a tasting by the time I got off the mountain.

So, that whisky tasting is still on my bucket list.

If you're ever in Dublin, go to Jamison's for a tour and a tasting. Maybe my palate is unsophisticated but the regular 10 yr tasted better than the 24 and 30 yr olds. I like Islay.There's one that was selling at 30$ for a young one. A yr later I went in for a refill and all I could find was older and way more $.

Not a huge fan of Irish whisk(e)y. I have several variations of Jamesons and Bushmills white, black and red label, but none of their older/higher end products. It's fine, but nothing I'd go out of my way to buy and consume.

I've been experimenting with blends too...Johnnie Walker vs. Dewars vs. Chivas Regal. Like all of them...Johnnie green is my fav there, Dewars 15 The Monarch is my fav there so far, and plain old Chivas 12. The one out of that bunch I just can't STAND is white label Dewars...yuck. On a side note, I don't understand the allure of Johnnie Blue...it's great for showing off, but at around $230 locally, that's a lot of money for a nice blend. That's almost 3 Johnnie Green bottles, I don't get the value quotient there.

One of the pilot’s on another forum swears by and often mentions Macallan 25. I just checked the price and I’d want that bottle to last awhile.

I brought back some Teeling single grain from my last Dublin trip. Different than the usual Irish Whiskey, it was quite nice. Pretty good value when purchased at Duty Free in the Airport (hate to say it, but between security and cost, airport duty free on your trip home is usually the best way to bring back booze).

It’s available here, now. In fact, many once obscure and impossible to find brands are now here. Which is great. Love the variety

I had the good fortune to spend a month with the Royal Navy in Scotland. I worked at HMNB Clyde, in Faslane, Scotland. We were billeted in Glasgow. A few Scottish RN Officers made it their mission to educate the “Yank” about their local drink. Which required nightly “lessons”.

It was a great month!

I'm not able to spend many $ on many bottles. I just have to get one bottle at a time and make the best of it. Right now it's Glenlivet 18...satisfied with it.

I like every Glenlivet I've tried...Glenfiddich, not so much. I make a pilgrimage periodically to The Party Source in Newport KY...amazing liquor store but it turns into a $500 endeavor every time I go, so I only do it a couple of times a year. All sorts of fun bottles follow me home.

As someone mentioned above, Oban is a well rounded and fine SM Scotch. For peaty flavor, Laphroaig, Ardbeg, Lagavulin, and the peatiest of them all - Octomore.

I don't know about your particular experience, or the one you bought, but MACALLAN is, generally, the non-plus-ultra of Single Malt Scotch.

P.S. I no longer drink any of that.

Macallan is overrated as are many Scotch whisky drams. My personal drinking list of worthy things to try:

Laphroaig Quarter Cask - phenomenonal for the price

Speyburn 10 year old - best "cheap" Scotch, easy to drink

Caol ila - smoke monster, very interesting flavor profile

Ardbeg 10 year old - peat monster, excellent for price

Johnnie Walker Green - the only thing JW makes that is worth a ____.

Monkey Shoulder - cheap but surprisingly good, especially for a blend

Lagavulin 16 year old - this is what you spent $100+ on, maybe not a daily drinker but great every time you do have a dram

I had the good fortune to spend a month with the Royal Navy in Scotland. I worked at HMNB Clyde, in Faslane, Scotland. We were billeted in Glasgow. A few Scottish RN Officers made it their mission to educate the “Yank” about their local drink. Which required nightly “lessons”.

Now that's my kinda night school. Was there a final exam? :cool:

Macallan is overrated as are many Scotch whisky drams. My personal drinking list of worthy things to try:

Laphroaig Quarter Cask - phenomenonal for the price

Speyburn 10 year old - best "cheap" Scotch, easy to drink

Caol ila - smoke monster, very interesting flavor profile

Ardbeg 10 year old - peat monster, excellent for price

Johnnie Walker Green - the only thing JW makes that is worth a ____.

Monkey Shoulder - cheap but surprisingly good, especially for a blend

Lagavulin 16 year old - this is what you spent $100+ on, maybe not a daily drinker but great every time you do have a dram

Last time I bought Lagavulin 16 it was $40. I had it lying around somewhere and I tried a little taste of it over 10 years later. It had dried up, but it didn't even taste like there was any alcohol.

Ardbeg 10 is my favorite although Highland Park 12 is pretty close on my list. Certainly different but I like both.

I remember when I could get a bottle of single malt for $20. I've spend that much on Aberlour 10, Glenkinchie 10, and others. Trader Joe's used to have Tomatin 12 for $17. It came in this weird angular bottle with an Italian-made screw top. I can't find any photos of it, but I distinctly remember it.

One time I was on a road trip and bought a bottle of Isle of Jura 10 at a liquor store in Jackson, Wyoming. That lasted through the entire trip including (illegally) brought into and consumed in Utah although I don't think that National Park Service law enforcement Rangers were interested in enforcing Utah alcohol laws. I also bought a case of beer in Arizona and brought it in. This is well past any statute of limitations.

Back