First bottle of Macallan 12 scotch...underwhelmed

I'm a noob as far as scotches go, but my FIL introduced me to Dalwhinnie. I like it, but I'm fond of Glenlivet 12 myself.

One of my kids got engaged, I am planning to buy the couple a "special occasion" bottle, starting to think about WHAT it should be...Johnnie Blue is the obvious showy choice, but there are lots of other really bottles out there that are arguably better scotch, minus the snob appeal.

I got a bottle of the recently released Ardbeg 5 year old bottle last week and really liked it upon first drinking it. Friends and I finished off the bottle last night and I didn't think of much of it on this second occasion drinking it compared to the first. It is not bad and I think definitely worth trying but I will probably stick to regulars like Speyburn 10 and the Laphroaig range in the future 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

The only bottle I've ever had that changed dramatically from first being opened, to sitting around for a couple of months was Loch Lomond 12. When the bottle was freshly opened, it was AWFUL to the point I thought about pitching it. I figured somebody would put it in a mixed drink, so I left it in the cabinet. Lo and behold, I tried the bottle several months later and was pleasantly surprised. Not my favorite, but completely different once it oxidized a little. I tried it again with another bottle of Loch Lomond, strictly in the interest of science, and got the same result. Very peculiar.

Macallan sold 7 plus million liters of scotch last year up every year year over year. When you sell everything you make you can raise prices.

Not to reply to an old thread but I didn't see any new ones about Scotch. @97prizm I got a bottle of that a few years ago. It's tasty. For Glenmorangie, I think the 10yr is great for it's price. The Lasanta is also great for the price. The Quinta Ruban is ok in my opinion. I really like the Nector D Or but it's pricier. I didn't really dig the 18yr as much as I thought I would.

Lately, I have been really liking Bruichladdich. Whether it is the Classic Laddie, Port Charlotte or Octomore. I was able to get myself a bottle of Octomore 10.4, 11.1, 11.2, 11.3, the 11 Ten Year, 2 bottles of 12.1, 12.2, 2 bottles of 12.3 and the 12 Ten Year. I didn't think I would like the smokey stuff but I do. I was able to score Black art 7 - 9 but I haven't opened them yet. A few of the Octomore's I ordered directly from the Distillery and man, did I pay!

I also have the Lagavulin 16 which I think is really good especially when you can get it for $80. I didn't dig the Laphroig. The Macallan 12s, Glenlivit and Glenfiddich were all just ok for me. The Kirkland Islay was decent. The Kirkland 20yr I have is ehh, ok. I also have a Balvenie 12yr Single Cask which is good and the 14 Caribbean cask which is pretty good.

I'm really looking forward to this years Octomore releases and Black Art. I have to start saving for them!

The glenmorangie nectar is not all that great. Too spicy for me.

Prefer the 14 or the 18 if you have the wallet. They are a much smoother drink.

Not a fan of Macallan 12 either. You need to get the 15 or the 18.

The glenmorangie 18 is a knock out at $94.99 a bottle. If you drink that side by side with a nectar you will really see the differences between the two.

Don't forget highland park as well..

The glenmorangie nectar is not all that great. Too spicy for me.

Prefer the 14 or the 18 if you have the wallet. They are a much smoother drink.

Not a fan of Macallan 12 either. You need to get the 15 or the 18.

The glenmorangie 18 is a knock out at $94.99 a bottle. If you drink that side by side with a nectar you will really see the differences between the two.

Don't forget highland park as well..
And that's where I disagree. I like the Nector much better. But that's what it's all about. Taste and opinion. I can't knock the 14 and 18 but they aren't really my taste as much as the Nector and Lasanta in terms of of Glenmorangie.

I see the same thing in the cigar world. I like this, you like that but that's all ok. I have had people tell me that cubans are the best and nothing outside of cuba is good. I personally have had some really great cubans and some really terrible cubans. I may like this blend from one manufacturer but the another from the same manufacturer.

Wine too. I get my wife a $40 to $60 bottle of wine for her birthday, anniversary, etc... and she may like and may not but I can always rely on her good old Papi at $10 for the large bottle.

Went and got a bottle of Glenlivet 12 after seeing this thread. Prices are up maybe 10% from a couple of years ago. I don't drink much so this bottle will last me a very long time.

I’m a vodka man, never really like whiskey too much. Always have a bottle of Jim Beam on hand however. I thought Scotch was gross (forgive me), then again I always drank Johnny Walker red or black. I got curious a few weeks ago and “splurged” on a bottle of Aberfeldy 12. Didn’t really look at reviews just “picked a nice looking bottle”. 😂 Come to find out it’s an okay Scotch and it is absolutely delicious. JW taste like syrupy rubbish after the Aberfeldy. The bottle is almost gone. I guess I have a new rabbit hole to go down 🤡

I wouldn't turn my nose up to Macallan 12, but I wouldn't cross the street for a bottle of it, either. A lot of nice 12 year old single malts in this thread that taste better to me at a much lower price point.
Being constrained by logistics (I could pick them up at half price) a couple of my favorites back in the day were 12 year old Balvenie Double Wood, and Dalmore Cigar Malt. I've pretty much switched to decent bourbons now with only the occasional scotch.

First dive into peated scotch. Oh my, delicious. 😍

Attachments

• 5CA0213D-CB6C-45E7-AB25-682869B7492E.jpeg
    5CA0213D-CB6C-45E7-AB25-682869B7492E.jpeg
    147.8 KB · Views: 6
I wouldn't turn my nose up to Macallan 12, but I wouldn't cross the street for a bottle of it, either. A lot of nice 12 year old single malts in this thread that taste better to me at a much lower price point.
Being constrained by logistics (I could pick them up at half price) a couple of my favorites back in the day were 12 year old Balvenie Double Wood, and Dalmore Cigar Malt. I've pretty much switched to decent bourbons now with only the occasional scotch.
Same.

Cut my teeth many moons ago on the Balvenie 10 yr Founders Reserve which got me into single malts...Over the past several years I've made the switch over to bourbon considering the price hike and lack of quality concerning many single malts.

Just got myself a bottle of Octomore 13.2 and 13.3. Still waiting for the 13.1 and this years release of Black Art.
1664999888837.jpg
1664999898813.jpg

Back