Fingerprint starter scanner - would you buy?

that only works if you cant bypass the lock electronically. which they can now do on vehicles.
No system is perfect, but why totally dismiss them just because someone out there can defeat it? Sometimes deterrence is enough. Security improvements are not just nothing to perfection. They are incremental improvements that help reduce the occurrence of thefts. Just saying someone can defeat them does not invalidate their improvement and effectiveness as security devices.

No surprise with most responses, huh ?

My wife's new car has a "digital key" that uses my iPhone. Works fine.... The app is protected with either a password or Face ID. I don't play "what if...." games either. 😉

It would work well until you burn your fingerprints off in a freak gasoline fight accident and need to drive yourself to the hospital. It could happen to anybody.

No system is perfect, but why totally dismiss them just because someone out there can defeat it? Sometimes deterrence is enough. Security improvements are not just nothing to perfection. They are incremental improvements that help reduce the occurrence of thefts. Just saying someone can defeat them does not invalidate their improvement and effectiveness as security devices.
what I'm saying is that is no better than a key, it can be stolen regardless. so why complicate the car anymore.

Friends who travel a lot mentioned this except it was engagement ring thieves in [fill in your favorite place to malign here].

Again, I don't want to be a beta tester for the automobile toy industry.
Yikes! Another vote for my Saferingz silicone rings. :D

The more brutal is eye scanners where they put your eyeball on a stick ala The Minority Report....

How about it OP, would you support an eye scanner to start your car?

Say in the future, car companies start implementing a finger scanner like an iPhone to protect against theft.

So a push button start with finger scanner. You’d have to register every driver. Assuming the software was robust and not easily circumvented, would you be interested in such a feature?
Every software can be circumvented or broken. Yes, every one, because human coders are predictable, and not perfect.

Reactions: WDB
Every software can be circumvented or broken. Yes, every one, because human coders are predictable, and not perfect.
But is a physical key easier to defeat than a finger scanner? I think it is. But I guess the issue with finger scanners is, if you have some software hack tool you can plug into the obd2 port, you can hack all cars using that software. A physical key may be better.

But I still think with $$$, you could make a very robust finger scanner security program. Maybe like an online database.

But is a physical key easier to defeat than a finger scanner? I think it is. But I guess the issue with finger scanners is, if you have some software hack tool you can plug into the obd2 port, you can hack all cars using that software. A physical key may be better.

But I still think with $$$, you could make a very robust finger scanner security program. Maybe like an online database.
they don't even need to hook into the obd port, can be done by the connection to the headlight from under the car or behind the bumper. very quick and very easy.

they don't even need to hook into the obd port, can be done by the connection to the headlight from under the car or behind the bumper. very quick and very easy.
Right but is that the fault of the finger scanner? I’m assuming more competent engineers than that.

I think a finger print reader would be much more difficult to defeat than you all are estimating. There’s a reason lots of high tech facilities use them for security.

Pretty much all the hospital medicine dispensing machines use a fingerprint scanner. One machine can get used hundreds of times each day. We had about 70 machines at the hospital I worked at. Fingerprint scanner problems were almost non existent.

My understanding is they have to clone your key fob first in order to do this.

No thanks, Big Brother.

I think a finger print reader would be much more difficult to defeat than you all are estimating. There’s a reason lots of high tech facilities use them for security.

Yea I don't think anybody is going to go as far as Mission Impossible to steal a car with a fingerprint scanner.

Yea I don't think anybody is going to go as far as Mission Impossible to steal a car with a fingerprint scanner.

Why go through all that when you can simply break out the ignition lock cylinder of a mechanical keyed car with a screwdriver?

Back