Fingerprint starter scanner - would you buy?

Say in the future, car companies start implementing a finger scanner like an iPhone to protect against theft.

So a push button start with finger scanner. You’d have to register every driver. Assuming the software was robust and not easily circumvented, would you be interested in such a feature?

Not at present. I have never had a car stolen and I am not worried about car theft.

Would rather have a fingerprint sensor to unlock the doors. The Ford code system is actually really good for my needs.

How would it be any different then the current push to start systems with the key in your pocket? What if you take the car in to the shop? Does everybody that needs to move the car have to get fingerprinted?

Since I keep cars long time, when it breaks what does it cost to fix. After 10 years the oem no longer has to support it, and you need it fixed what do you do?

No, that would be almost as stupid as "phone as a key". Neither works when wearing gloves. It is cold 6 months of the year here.

Say in the future, car companies start implementing a finger scanner like an iPhone to protect against theft.

So a push button start with finger scanner. You’d have to register every driver. Assuming the software was robust and not easily circumvented, would you be interested in such a feature?
iPhone moved onto face recognition except their $399 base level offering.

How would it be any different then the current push to start systems with the key in your pocket? What if you take the car in to the shop? Does everybody that needs to move the car have to get fingerprinted?
You can’t transponder copy a fingerprint

Actually another layer of theft protection because car won’t work without transponder either beyond a valid fingerprint.

Guessing if this were to be implemented a service or valet mode would be added.

It’s just an idea proposed by OP…

You can’t transponder copy a fingerprint
Actually they can be copied, and once someone has a copy of your fingerprint you can't re-code your finger and the car to prevent the copy from being used.

There's also the low-tech method of cutting the guy's finger off.

Reactions: D60
it wont keep cars from being stolen, they are now taking headlights off and using the plug to get to the ecm and stealing cars that way. it takes less than a min. there is no fool proof system.

I think a finger print reader would be much more difficult to defeat than you all are estimating. There’s a reason lots of high tech facilities use them for security.

I think a finger print reader would be much more difficult to defeat than you all are estimating. There’s a reason lots of high tech facilities use them for security.
that only works if you cant bypass the lock electronically. which they can now do on vehicles.

Back