Find me some cheap dish detergent

for my automatic dishwasher. Not interested in TSP recipes.

Used to use the 25 oz boxes from $1.25 Tree but they've stopped stocking them.

My water is normal, not hard, no issues to speak of.

Shoot me some ideas!

Shoot me some ideas!

Walmart

Great Value Fresh Scent Automatic Dishwasher Pacs, 110 count, 66 oz​

(4.5)4.5 stars out of 162 reviews162 reviews
$12.47
You save $0.00
11.3 ¢/ea

I find the Cascade Platinum pods+a shot of liquid detergent in the pre rinse cup works the best…. $20 for a 62 count box on Amazon. But my water is hard with a ton of iron…. Then again doing that my dishes come out spotless.

We use either the Costco or Sam's club store brand pods.
120 or so in a tub for about $11.00.
Have had excellent results with them, and they have always tested favorably in CR reviews.

I just bought some Lidl branded dishwasher pods which say “compare to Cascade Platinum” on the bag. I think it’s 44 pods for $5 and change, so 12 or so cents/pod. Lidl stopped carrying the Cascade brand pods which were 16 pods for the same price. No idea if they’re any good yet since I’m waiting to use up the remaining Cascade pods, but I like saving money so I’m giving them a whirl. If they aren’t good I’ll switch back.

The cascade platinum pods do clean very well from my experience.

Last edited:
hard to beat sams club or costco brand pods for value.. 10c? each.
(currently closer to 12c each not on sale)

That would be 10 loads for under your 1.25 price... IIRC they were rated good to very good by someone... consumer reports??

I have soft water and I use liquid dishwasher detergent. A large bottle of Cascade liquid online at Walmart is the best deal I've seen lately. Until last year Walmart stores carried the 75 oz. bottles of Palmolive liquid (white bottle) for $2.97. Now it's $2.97 for a 45 ounce bottle. I'm sure that detergent is much more expensive to manufacture now! 67% increase. Screw Colgate Palmolive.

Last edited:
You get what you pay for. The cheap stuff usually does a poor job of cleaning the dishes. How often do you run a load that it's become a financial hardship?

I don't think the cheap detergent is your issue....

IMG_8096.JPG

Shoot me some ideas!
I use Walmart's brand (Great Value 75 oz.) powdered detergent. Works for me.

Last edited:
Why all the hand-wringing about this? For 15 years, we've bought the 90-100 Cascade pacs from Sams/Costco. 15 years ago, they were about $11-12 on sale, today that price is $15 or so, $20 regular price.

For the last 6 months or so, we've been using the Costco brand pac and the dishes are just as clean as with the Cascade/Other brands.

We're talking 16 cents of detergent to wash a load of nasty dishes and they come out perfectly clean. Why bother with something else?

You don't even have to have a Sam's or Costco membership to get a decent price, just watch the sales at your local grocery store or ChinaMart.

About 9 months ago, I bought a 1/2 gallon bulk jug of Kirkland brand (Costco) dishwashing soap, I think it was on sale for $10. We keep a small size bottle at the sink for washing stuff that doesn't go in the dishwasher and pre-soaking stuff.

Shortly after I bought it, I was at Costco making a return, probably those stupid Michelin wiper blades... anyway, there was this older woman there with her jug of Kirkland dish soap, about 1/4 of it missing. I thought ' what a petty thing to return '.

Well after using it for 6 months or so in our little, re-used Dawn/Palmolive bottles, I fully, 100%, no questions asked, understand why grandma was returning it. The soap gums up at the tip and clogs the opening. It's so bad that we have to soak the lids in hot water for a couple of hours to make them clean and operational again. I'm thinking about taking our 1/2 jug back!

Ya. Those big bottles are intended to be used as frequently as your smaller bottles. Just make sure you keep the cap closed and you should be fine at worst it's a minor annoyance.

Back