FIlthy Work Environment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Have a talk with those nasty filthy coworkers to clean their mess so it doesn't attract rodents.

You don't want to do that if you're thinking about filing an anonymous complaint.

Also, that's not going to get the hanging wires fixed or the filthy carpet replaced.

Our plants operate 24/7/365 and about 30 of us share the same break rooms and kitchen area. Although we do contract out with a cleaning service and have tried several over the years, they are marginal and sporadic at best with their "cleaning". If one of my co-workers is inconsiderate enough to leave their dirty dishes or whatnot for days at a time, I toss their [censored] right in the trash. Same goes with the fridges. If it's in there for a week, it gets tossed.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
https://www.osha.gov/workers/file_complaint.html

And no, you cannot lose your job for filing a complaint against your employer.

LOL you wouldn't want to lay a bunch of hard earned money on that bet.

This. You won't lose your job directly for that reason, but they will find a way to get rid of you, I've seen it many times.

Oh yeah, my boss at a previous job basically told me that one of his guys was fired for complaining to OSHA about fire safety or something like that.
That's not what his paperwork said, but it was the real reason and he had to move a couple states away to find a new job.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Our plants operate 24/7/365 and about 30 of us share the same break rooms and kitchen area. Although we do contract out with a cleaning service and have tried several over the years, they are marginal and sporadic at best with their "cleaning". If one of my co-workers is inconsiderate enough to leave their dirty dishes or whatnot for days at a time, I toss their [censored] right in the trash. Same goes with the fridges. If it's in there for a week, it gets tossed.

Hahaha! Great idea.

The thing to do is get ALL of the employees together to complain about it...they aren't going to fire everyone...

This is probably going to be the best post in this thread.

Where the OSHA complaint is concerned, try to be the quietest guy. I used to work as essentially a guerilla mercenary for a large corporation, and anonymous complaints were always handled the same way: Destroy the loudest mouth. It was probably him, and even if it wasn't, it sets a good example for the rest of the rank and file.

I should mention that I was essentially conned into that position, hated it every day of my life, and left the company as a result.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp

Where the OSHA complaint is concerned, try to be the quietest guy. I used to work as essentially a guerilla mercenary for a large corporation, and anonymous complaints were always handled the same way: Destroy the loudest mouth. It was probably him, and even if it wasn't, it sets a good example for the rest of the rank and file.

I should mention that I was essentially conned into that position, hated it every day of my life, and left the company as a result.

What company did you work for ?

It won't hurt to tell now that you're no longer there.

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
I work for a company that operates out of an old warehouse that hasn't been updated in quite some time. Our other offices have professional cleaners that come once a week. For whatever reason, our office has opted out of this service, even after bringing it up to management several times.

This place is a literal disaster. It gives me anxiety just from how filthy it is. I also get sick every few weeks from god knows what bacteria is lying around there. There are also missing ceiling tiles, blown out lights that have hot wires hanging down, filthy carpets, dead mice, you name it. The sink sometimes has dishes that don't get washed for weeks at a time. The pay is good and I love my job & co-workers, but this is getting to be ridiculous.

Anyone else ever work someplace like this?

Who is in charge there? That person needs to step up, either assign some people to clean the place up or hire someone to clean it up and then enforce the rule that you clean up after yourself or your written up / fired. If the person in charge does not care one way or the other, you are out of luck.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp

I knew somebody who did this for about 20 years and was pretty shocked when she learned that somebody new was hired for her department and was then fired by that person in the same day.
I guess she did pretty well in her time as the executioner because she hasn't worked since and still shops a lot!

I suppose whacking up the work to keep the joint clean is not a cool thing to do.

Too bad some money can't be allocated, rug machine rented, rat poison purchased......a little Windex.

Yeah, 'guess that isn't going to happen.

Enjoy wallowing in filth, weighing the options of "telling" and complaining about it.

Just a hint, please. WHERE in New York.

The last office I worked in had a few folks that would leave dirty dishes in the sink.

Even with a maid every Wednesday, it wasn't cute letting them pile up. Exactly 1 e-mail went out: "clean your dishes or they get thrown out."

That next Monday, after letting their dishes pile up, we came in to an office with a break area that was STRIPPED of anything that wasn't disposable.

The only 2 people to complain about the now non-environmentally friendly foam dishes were the 2 very ladies who would pile up dirty dishes.

They brought it up at our staff meeting, and our COO laughed himself to tears as he walked out at their [censored].

why don't you simply find a new job?

I recently started at an investment firm in downtown Vancouver BC.
We have nightly cleaners who clean everything.
I also got a 20% wage hike when I got the job.
Every Thurs after work is "pub night" where they get the receptionist to stock the kitchen kitchen fridge with beer and wine.

Instead of complaining, why not be part of the solution by getting out?

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
https://www.osha.gov/workers/file_complaint.html

And no, you cannot lose your job for filing a complaint against your employer.

LOL you wouldn't want to lay a bunch of hard earned money on that bet.

This. You won't lose your job directly for that reason, but they will find a way to get rid of you, I've seen it many times.

Agreed.

Any stupid little thing they can ding you for .... they will.

Budget shenanigans? Lax oversight? Real estate being what it is, maybe the building is gonna be razed. I'd be buffing the resume.

The dirty dishes are just your coworkers being pigs.

The wires hanging from the ceiling tiles are a massive insurance risk. If you don't want to call OSHA then drop a hint to whoever your employer uses for insurance. Maybe they'll send an agent out who will tell them to fix the building issues.

But if you aren't wiling to bring these issues up with anyone who can actually have an impact then you need to shut up and never complain again. The situation is binary -- you live with the problems and don't rat your employer out or you do something about it. You are an employee so you don't own the building and your job duties don't involve fixing these issues so there's nothing you -personally- can do.

I'm not going to do anything that is going to cost the company money or myself a job. Sorry, but those aren't very good suggestions. I mentioned it to managers and nothing got done, so until the place gets re-done (this is in the plans) I'll just have to put up with it.

01.gif

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
I'm not going to do anything that is going to cost the company money or myself a job. Sorry, but those aren't very good suggestions. I mentioned it to managers and nothing got done,so until the place gets re-done (this is in the plans) I'll just have to put up with it.
No mention about planned renovation in OP. Changes everything. Your co-workers are slobs. Would you rather have the budget spent on a decent renov or minor repairs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back