Filling radiator correctly and bleeding air

I drained my radiator, then I accidentally let out all of the R-134a (refrigerant) from the condenser in front of the rad. I have to bring it to an AC shop to get it filled but I need to fill the rad back up first to drive it there. I know that I need to burp the radiator by squeezing the hose. Also, I learned that I am supposed to turn the ac heat on high in the front and rear to also get the air out. But I can't do this because I lost all of the rifgerant! What am I supposed to do? Is it safe to drive with some air in the coolant system because I cant use the HVAC to get the air out? Is it a must to do this AC method to bleed air out?
Thanks

What is the yr/make/model that you are working on?

Some vehicles are extremely difficult to bleed and vacuum filling is the only reliable option.

Honda odyssey 2012
Coolant funnel should bleed this one fine, but I usually vacuum fill and have yet to experience any issues. Honda's are usually not difficult to bleed if you only drained the radiator.

I'm sure a lot of people just fill them up and drive (without issues), but it is probably not the smartest thing to do.

Coolant funnel should bleed this one fine, but I usually vacuum fill and have yet to experience any issues. Honda's are usually not difficult to bleed if you only drained the radiator.

I'm sure a lot of people just fill them up and drive (without issues), but it is probably not the smartest thing to do.
Okay, great. Thank you

With a cold engine, park the vehicle nose-high (I use ramps on my sloped driveway for my Canyon), let it idle and keep an eye on the level in the radiator / filler neck (some vehicles don't have a cap on the actual radiator). Not much will happen until the thermostat opens, at around 180 degrees. If the engine got air in it, this is when it will burp into the radiator. Keep filling until it won't accept any more. Put the cap on, fill the reservoir to slightly above the normal level, drive it enough to reach normal temperature. Park & check levels the next morning when completely cold.

As others have said, get the nose up in the air to help with purging any air.
A funnel like this makes it easy peasey... Radiator Funnel

Let 'er got warm, squeezing the upper hose.
When you are done, squeeze the hose as you put the plug in the funnel.
This minimizes any spillage.
I would use the Zerex blue antifreeze.
Check the level the next morning and top off as necessary.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Sometimes, the process for getting the air out of the cooling system is detailed in the owner's manual.
Probably not in any car made the last 20 or 30 years. The manufacturer doesn't want you working on your car. You're lucky if it tells you how to change the oil or air filter. You're real lucky if it shows you how to change the coolant.

With a cold engine, park the vehicle nose-high (I use ramps on my sloped driveway for my Canyon), let it idle and keep an eye on the level in the radiator / filler neck (some vehicles don't have a cap on the actual radiator). Not much will happen until the thermostat opens, at around 180 degrees. If the engine got air in it, this is when it will burp into the radiator. Keep filling until it won't accept any more. Put the cap on, fill the reservoir to slightly above the normal level, drive it enough to reach normal temperature. Park & check levels the next morning when completely cold.
This is pretty much what I've been doing for years on every vehicle I've owned or serviced for family/friends. I've never had an issue with air in the system being a problem.

Just fill it slow, let the air get out, and massage the hoses as it gets filled. Check it after letting it warm up. Some vehicles will have issues, Ive noticed one of mine can be near full, but the temperature needle with be much more active and swing hot because it takes a lot of sequential burping of air... probably a good candidate for the vacuum fill..

Another vote for the Lisle Coolant funnel :)

Since you have a Honda, turn the heat temperature to full hot, but don't actually turn the heat on. For Honda, you don't have to run the heat while bleeding the coolant.

Back