Fiat 124 Spider Abarth Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just traded my 2015 Fiat 500 Abarth for a 2018 Fiat 124 Spider Abarth.

I had 114k on the '15 and it was dealer serviced every 5k with Pennzoil Platinum 5W40, which is apparently the only FCA approved oil. The car was trouble free.

I'd rather use Mobil 1 FS 0W40 which does not meet FCA requirements, but does meet Fiat Italy requirements.

I'm having the factory fill changed next week. Stick with Pennzoil or go Mobil 1?

In your climate, I don't see any added benefit to running a 0W oil versus a 5W oil. In my opinion, you should stick with the 5W-40 that carries the required certs for your car. Apparently, your last car ran on it just fine and there's no reason to suppose your new car won't do the same.

I'm too lazy to look this up, but there's only one oil that meets their spec? Isn't this the same engine as a Miata or does the Abarth-iness mean that every spec changes? Is Mazda this restrictive?

If the Abarth is the same as the regular 124, it needs MS-12991. The only oils I can find sold that meet it are PP Euro and Synpower MST, both in 5w40.

There are very few choices that "officially" meet the FCA MS 12991 specification. I'm cutting and pasting from one of my previous posts:

Amsoil: they don't explicitly state that it meets the standard, but they recommend their Classic European Formula 5w40
Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w40. The oil recommended in the owners manual.
Havoline: regular ProDS 5w40 but, oddly, not the Euro 5w40 they make.
Total Quartz 9000 Energy 5w40.
Ravenol VST 5w40.

The Valvoline MST no longer lists MS 12991.

If I've missed one, let me know.

But, really, I suspect that any quality 5W-40 that meets MB 229.5, BMW LL-01 and Porsche A40 is safe to use. It just looks like there's no interest in an oil specification that is used in a relatively tiny number of vehicles.

I have a fresh, current production bottle of Valvoline MST 5w40, it still shows the Fiat Chrysler MS-12991 approval on it. It also meets MB 229.5 and 229.51, BMW LL-04 and Porsche A40. It's a sleeper oil.

Valvoline has done a very poor job on line with that particular oil, it takes some hunting to even find the correct page on it (unless you are in Oz) and it does not appear to be very up to date.

This is a good place to find Valvoline product info...

http://www.valvolineeurope.com/english/products/engine_oils

For example, from that page...

Capture.PNG

That is a great reference page, but it also illustrates what I am talking about. That is Valvoline Europe, the oils and spec approvals can be different than North America.
frown.gif

It says "Made in the USA of foreign and domestic minerals" in tiny print on the back. It's new production as far as I know, its labeled "Full Synthetic Advanced MST SAE 5w40". I think that is new stuff, the older would have been labeled "Synpower" I believe.

Frequently on sale at Napa for $4.99 a quart great buy IMO.

I found a NA web page for MST a while back but it was out of date IIRC.

Originally Posted by KCJeep
It says "Made in the USA of foreign and domestic minerals" in tiny print on the back. It's new production as far as I know, its labeled "Full Synthetic Advanced MST SAE 5w40". I think that is new stuff, the older would have been labeled "Synpower" I believe.

You can decode the production date on Valvoline by looking at the number stamped on the bottle. I'm going by memory, but it's something like the letter in the code is the month produced (A is January, B is February, and so on) followed by digits for the year and day. In any case, they stopped listing the MS 12991 on the PDS fairly recently.

Originally Posted by csandste
I'm too lazy to look this up, but there's only one oil that meets their spec? Isn't this the same engine as a Miata or does the Abarth-iness mean that every spec changes? Is Mazda this restrictive?

The Fiat 124 and the Miata are built in the same factory in Japan.

The engines are different- the Mazda has a Japanese 2 liter non turbo engine- the Fiat has an Italian 1.4 liter turbo engine. The rest of the running gear is the same- all Mazda (Limited slip differential on the Abarth). Suspensions are different- Bulstein shocks on the Abarth.

I guess I'll stick with Pennzoil. As was pointed out, my last Fiat ran great on it.

Originally Posted by HappyLittlePony
Originally Posted by KCJeep

You can decode the production date on Valvoline by looking at the number stamped on the bottle. I'm going by memory, but it's something like the letter in the code is the month produced (A is January, B is February, and so on) followed by digits for the year and day. In any case, they stopped listing the MS 12991 on the PDS fairly recently.

Cool, I saw the code but didn't know how to read it. I will revisit if only to satisfy my own curiosity. I recall it started with an "I", so September.

@OP Great ride, thumbs up!

I have the same engine (1.4 turbo MultiAir 170hp) on my Alfa Romeo Giulietta.

If you have acces to Petronas Selenia oils, you might consider Selenia Sport Power/Selenia Abarth/ Selenia Quadrifoglio - all 5w40s - probably the same oil with different specs/labels/prices (similar TDS values)

It's a thick ACEA C3 5w40, with a kinematic viscosity 100°C high at 15,2cSt, works like a dream in this HOT overpowered small engine.
https://extranetpli-eu.pli-petronas...1&id_lingua=2&scat_from_tbl_est=

It's quite expensive , but top quality stuff, for top-end Alfa/Abarth models.

My MST 5w40 bottle shows a production date of September 20, 2018. So it was only 3 months old when I bought it and it still showed the Fiat spec approval that recently.

Pennzoil is great stuff if it's easy for you to get stick with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back