Feeding deer in winter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live close to a National Forest, so I see mule deer frequently, the occasional moose, black bears, mountain lions, coyotes, etc. The official word is to NEVER feed the wildlife.

Originally Posted By: rustypigeon
Feeding of deer contributes to the spread of Chronic Wasting Disease. This is a big problem in some states.

Yep. One of my student employees is working with our DNR on those two counties in central southern Michigan. Many hundreds of deer are being culled in an attempt to control the verge of a huge outbreak.

Feeding deer is akin to handing out money to panhandlers. In the long run it perpetuates problems and circumvents attempts to manage it.

If deer season is still open, feed them a nice high powered round and then they will feed you
They are overpopulated and causing many problems here in the south
I think the figure I remember is that for every 10 deer that exist this year, there will be 13 deer next year
They are good at reproducing

Originally Posted By: rustypigeon
Feeding of deer contributes to the spread of Chronic Wasting Disease. This is a big problem in some states.

Hmm, I see my county (Fulton) is included in that. Couple hunters I know feed them to fatten them up for a couple years then hunt them, but they're in Maryland.

Very true Johnny2bad.

Deer have no real predators which is also a big part of this problem. Add to that local municipalities will not allow even bow hunting... Deer end up starving. Stupid all the way around.

The wooded area behind my house is about 500' x 2000'. Didn't realize it was that large until I looked at Google maps just now. There are houses all around it and a recycling/trash. Lots of places for deer to frolic. No idea how much territory a deer typically use.

Don't do it! I made the mistake of feeding a couple of ferel cats at my work. Within a few days I had a dozen cats waiting for me to arrive and feed them. Then they had kittens! It was a Catastrophy here! The city started trapping them and then I had to help trap them too. Was a real bummer.

Found a home for 3 out of the 60 or so we had running around. The rest went to the gas chamber or were hit by cars.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
Never feed wild animals. Period. Your "act of kindness" will instead be giving them a Death Sentence. Is that what you want?

That doesn't include feeding wild birds.

Originally Posted By: SaturnIonVue
Leo99: The one thing that deer need and don't easily find is salt. Farm stores sell large blocks of pure salt pressed into blocks about 8" square by 12" tall. Best located in a wooded area. The block is very dense so that the animal has to lick the block to satisfy their needs. Hunters often feed and/or set up saltlicks to lure deer into "killing zones" all of which is illegal to do. That you are being benevolent and concerned about the deer with no intention of ever hunting them could be difficult to explain to many a game warden.

How so? Do you mean locally? Hunting and baiting rules vary drastically from state to state and even from county to county... it’s definitely not illegal everywhere to place bait for hunting.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
.... The predators have mostly disappeared. I can do without the rabbit death screams in the woods at night that I heard 15 years ago.

The male foxes around here scream at each other in the night over territory disputes during mating season. It does sound like bloodcurdling death screams. The rabbits were probably safe in their dens.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
I can do without the rabbit death screams in the woods at night that I heard 15 years ago.

That could be Raccoons fighting, sounds terrible I know, heard it many times.

Not discounting the rabbit possibility however, I've seen many out late at night when they should be safe asleep, not too smart. Lots of predators roaming at night; Coyotes, Foxes, Owls, Raccoons that would love a rabbit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back