FedEx failure

Stuff happens
FedEx almost always lets me down. FO, P1, doesn't matter.

They deliver when they want and are absolutely unhelpful when you're trying to help them resolve their failure to meet their advertised delivery schedule.

I have started using couriers for time-sensitive deliveries and it may not always save me money, but it always saves me heartache.

I always had a lot of trouble with UPS. They accounted for 90% of my damaged packages and the scary part was they were only 10% of my shipping. :eek: I only used them when there was no other choice.

Their tracking was/is stellar, however. I never tried them for international due to cost.
In the late 80s when I was gun running my new guns had foot prints on the boxes that came into my shop as well as customer ones.

After an investigation by UPS they found an anti gun employee walking on the boxes and he was terminated..

Three years ago I had a parcel I was waiting for delivered to another state. The person actually drove down about 25 miles to give it to me. Wow! And it was a Christmas gift for someone. Santa showed up.

That's pretty unusual then that the driver didn't get a signature or not deliver it (and leave a door tag).
My understanding is after covid they don't have to. Nobody is saying it's not a hard job for the $177k at UPS. but if FedEx ground drivers make 1/4 of that, one would think service would be worse

ps I remember distinctly maybe mid 2000's--getting tires delivered, if it rained, UPS drivers put each tire in a plastic bag. Flash forward to 2022--they left a Lenovo ThinkPad out in the rain. Even if that's ok per our employer, I guarantee you and I would think gosh would the laptop be damaged? I bet our consciences would kick in. Maybe I keep it and redeliver when it's sunny, dunno.

My understanding is after covid they don't have to.
During Covid and for a period after, ALL signature requirements were waived or discretionary with UPS, Fedex Express and Fedex Ground. They have all went back to signatures for business deliveries.

but if FedEx ground drivers make 1/4 of that, one would think service would be worse
Fedex Ground drivers are contractors - they don't work for Fedex. They are paid a flat, daily rate and in this area, for a driver with multiple years experience, he's paid $105 (gross). For an 8-hour workday, that's only $13/hour. Problem is, they typically work 10+. I'm not condoning poor service levels but in the case of Fedex Ground, they (Fedex) get what they pay for. For a period of time, we had a new Ground driver every 3-6 weeks.

My understanding is after covid they don't have to. Nobody is saying it's not a hard job for the $177k at UPS. but if FedEx ground drivers make 1/4 of that, one would think service would be worse

ps I remember distinctly maybe mid 2000's--getting tires delivered, if it rained, UPS drivers put each tire in a plastic bag. Flash forward to 2022--they left a Lenovo ThinkPad out in the rain. Even if that's ok per our employer, I guarantee you and I would think gosh would the laptop be damaged? I bet our consciences would kick in. Maybe I keep it and redeliver when it's sunny, dunno.
They are paid and trained not to think outside of the corporate box. Had a Amazon driver just about a week ago, refuse to hand me my package when I was outdoors. She laid it on the ground and took her picture that she was following company policy. What a bunch of TOOLS

VA ships my refrigerated diabetes meds to me via FedEx overnight. It is constantly a day late, and has even been several days late with the ice packs melted and warm. They leave the packages sitting in the sun on my porch without ringing my door bell. UPS always rings the bell when they make a delivery. FedEx also likes to leave very heavy packages right in front of my screen door, so that the door will not open. I have to go out thru the garage to get onto the porch to get the package moved so that I can open the door to bring them in. I have no faith in FedEx and do not deal with them when I have a choice!!!

Had a Amazon driver just about a week ago, refuse to hand me my package when I was outdoors. She laid it on the ground and took her picture that she was following company policy. What a bunch of TOOLS
I wonder if there was a "memo" about this recently. I had a similar experience in the past 1-2 weeks. The driver handed it to me then seemed to remember they need to photograph and even asked/suggested I set it on a desk "so no identifying features" were in the picture (my hand ???).

Nobody is saying it's not a hard job for the $177k at UPS.
Where does that number come from? Here's what I found on google.

The average ups driver salary in California is $44,850 per year or $21.56 per hour. Entry level positions start at $40,950 per year while the most experienced workers make up to $74,100 per year.

"UPS reports that the average overall compensation package for a full-time UPS delivery driver is $145,000, which reflects the benefits package that employees can receive." That is not wages, it is the 'loaded' cost to UPS being salary + health care + pension + corporate overhead + whatever else accountants stack on top of the salary.

"Last week, UPS made headlines after announcing that its drivers will average $170,000 in pay and benefits at the end of a five-year contract agreement with the Teamsters Union." That means 2028 for the $170K which ties in reasonably well with the sofi.com $145K

"UPS drivers at the top of the pay scale will earn about $170,000 in total compensation by 2028. New delivery drivers start off making $23-an-hour, UPS told BI. They can expect to reach the top pay rate after four years on the job. Today, that top rate is about $44-an-hour — and it's set to reach $49 by 2028." How many is that? A very small percentage of the work force, but definitely something to aspire to.

Running the math, ignoring overtime.
New hire $23 x 40 x 52 = 47,840
>4 year $44 x 40 x 52 = 91,520
YE2028 $49 x 40 x 52 = 101,920

It is a hard job, and they deserve a good income, but being a driver is hardly a lifetime career. How many of us could do an 8+ hour day jumping in and out of truck in all kinds of weather carrying up to a 70# parcel? Anyone want to take a bet on how many drivers have college degrees and they are at UPS because it pays better than they can earn elsewhere?

Not to get off track but I knew a teacher who quit teaching to park new cars off the assembly line. Doubled his income.
Teachers to me are like veterinarians. Some do it because they love their jobs.

Although the pay can be high, very few get that. Principal of my son’s elementary makes $147k. The school where my wife works $170k. That’s one person per school. The asst principals are lucky if they top 100k—fair? Well they do more work. Maybe, maybe not. Bettter to be a lifeguard in LA County and make $500k. Or a cop in Weston MA and make 250k.

Just curious, how many are aware of the differences between Fedex Express and Fedex Ground ? Yes, they're both Fedex but one really, really gives the other a bad name/reputation.
I always thought ground are not teamsters and express are. Huge difference in pay and skill.

Ps btw the power window switch was scheduled for today via UPS. But it was last scanned in Horsham PA at 7:02 AM. Doesn’t look like it will get here on time. Normally it will go out for delivery, from Phila. It’s already past 430 PM.

IMG_2040.jpeg

My Fedex Ground guy was showing up in a truck that looked like it was ready to be junked. I told him Fedex should be ashamed of it.

Back