grin.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: jkasch
So E3's won't add 100hp?
lol.gif

No, but the sticker that comes with them might
grin.gif

crackmeup2.gif
Stop... I can't breathe. I can see the V-Dub's now!

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
I have a set of the Platinum TT's in my 3.6DI CTS. I'm happy with them. NGK is an excellent product but not the holy grail. Spark plugs are not exactly space age technology and even a cheapie copper plug does the job perfectly. Long life is the only main advantage to platinum and iridium plugs because more HP or fuel economy is not. Spark is spark for the most part!

Yes, spark is spark, but flame poprogation is another story. The Denso TT's are supposed to blend both flame kernel propragation and long life.

I have noticed a difference in driveability going from a double platinum plug to a iridium plug on my car. Not necessarily max power. With only 40K on the old plugs (NGK laser double platinum), I switched to NGK iridium. Now, if I need to pass someone, the transmission doesn't need to downshift, and I still be able to accelerate. Must be that finer wire electrode (.6mm vs 1.1mm) and the tapered ground electrode, allowing the flame kernel to spread better. Of course, with no platinum on the ground electrode, wear is compromised. But these plugs are cheap, so 40K miles changes aren't a big deal

Last edited:
There is one plug that is guaranteed to give you more power and that is the "Atomic Dyno-Fire III" found only at JC Whitney. Self adjusting heat range, 3 spark gaps with Space technology "Diode like Action" (within the porcelain) feeding the Chromium like center post which is surrounded by 5 Electrodes! Permanently gaped @.025 for sure fire explosions every time. (DO NOT use with high output coils as this might cause piston melting)

I put a set of these in my mother's Oldsmobile and she cant press the brake pedal hard enough to remain still at a stop light! These added almost too much power! I might remove 4 and install stock plugs to make things manageable.

Piston_slap. Did it come with stickers to tell everyone around you of the choice you made? That's the real question.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
I went with autolite platinum XP which is OEM equivalent for my application.

With modern coil on plug ignition any plug with appropriate gap and heat range is going to do the job. I personally run single electrode plugs. I feel that the x2 and x4 plugs are simply marketing

The multiple ground electrodes is for better longevity. The spark will always jump to the path of least resistance.

Audi has used multiple ground electrode spark plugs from NGK, BKUR6ET

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Piston_slap. Did it come with stickers to tell everyone around you of the choice you made? That's the real question.
lol.gif

I bought 4 sets to have a decal for all of my side windows! None of the guys from high school will even drag race me now, "Thanks JC Whitney"!
43.gif

You will gain absolutely zero power from more exotic spark plugs, generally the advantage is simply longer life.

Exactly.

If I am putting plugs in a FWD V6 with hard to reach rear plugs, I will use Denso or NGK Iridium so I don't have to do it again for a while.

If the vehicle has plugs that are easy to get to, I just use NGK or Denso plain Copper plugs.

Plain copper plugs, being more conductive, generally perform better than Platinum or Iridium at the expense of longevity.

I wonder if that is why my Journey 4 cylinder came with Copper Plugs and not Iridium. They are trying to crank out better performance out of the 4 cylinder ???

They are a piece of cake to change being up top under the coil-overs. That said I put in Iridiums when they were due.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: jkasch
So E3's won't add 100hp?
lol.gif

No, but the sticker that comes with them might
grin.gif

crackmeup2.gif
Stop... I can't breathe. I can see the V-Dub's now!

It's like the Fast and the Furious all over again.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
Originally Posted By: GMBoy
I have a set of the Platinum TT's in my 3.6DI CTS. I'm happy with them. NGK is an excellent product but not the holy grail. Spark plugs are not exactly space age technology and even a cheapie copper plug does the job perfectly. Long life is the only main advantage to platinum and iridium plugs because more HP or fuel economy is not. Spark is spark for the most part!

Yes, spark is spark, but flame poprogation is another story. The Denso TT's are supposed to blend both flame kernel propragation and long life.

I have noticed a difference in driveability going from a double platinum plug to a iridium plug on my car. Not necessarily max power. With only 40K on the old plugs (NGK laser double platinum), I switched to NGK iridium. Now, if I need to pass someone, the transmission doesn't need to downshift, and I still be able to accelerate. Must be that finer wire electrode (.6mm vs 1.1mm) and the tapered ground electrode, allowing the flame kernel to spread better. Of course, with no platinum on the ground electrode, wear is compromised. But these plugs are cheap, so 40K miles changes aren't a big deal

Good points.

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
I went with autolite platinum XP which is OEM equivalent for my application.

With modern coil on plug ignition any plug with appropriate gap and heat range is going to do the job. I personally run single electrode plugs. I feel that the x2 and x4 plugs are simply marketing

I put autolite platinum XP in my 2007 Audi 3.2. I think it called for NGK. After 70k miles absolutely no difference in performance or MPG

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

I don't know, the platinum TTs are pretty cheap and my FFV 3.0 Ranger thought they were a light snack (lots of E85 use). Only Motorcraft in that one now, preferably the discontinued SP-495 / AGST12FM if available.

Last edited:
If you are using the correct plug for your engine, there is generally no difference in performance. The only difference is longevity.

All this talk of "fancy spark plugs" reminds me of the J.C. Whitney catalogs from 35 years ago. Back then, they were the Harbor Freight of the automotive world. This was a time when they actually sold replacement auto parts, although some were good, some were questionable, but the majority of parts were American or Canadian made. I really had good luck with J.C. Whitney back then, if you didn't mind waiting a full 10 days for your parts from the time you dropped a check off in your mail box until the day that your parts would be delivered. (Haven't used them for decades, however)
ANYWAY, J.C. Whitney used to take out full page ads on their FIRE INJECTOR spark plugs. I was soooo tempted, but I never did buy any. They claimed to increase horsepower, mileage, etc., etc., but somehow I never got to try them. They really were almost like a surface-gap spark plug found in some marine applications. A few automotive rags claimed to have a small increase in horsepower, but probably nothing more than what you'd get by putting in a regular new set of plugs. This was the era of leaded gas and spark plugs were notorious for picking up deposits.

How can Denso make those HP and MPG claims? Remember Splitfire plugs? They were sued and closed down for doing the same thing.

Is Denso doing misleading advertising and marketing?

Just did some research, here is a real oldie but goodie. Same then, same now

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.autos.tech/NuUCVpDSPws/discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back