Family Ettiquette Question for Christmas Dinner

Status
Not open for further replies.
LoL, I know. Asking a question about anything ettiquette related on here is kind of comical, a bunch of wrench turning oil geeks. But if there is one thing about us all I've come to know it is that while it might be easy to label us as such because of the general automotive theme here, we are in fact a well rounded if not diverse bunch of people. So, for what it's worth, here goes.

I will attempt to be brief, but it's a little complicated. It is not to get "awe's" and "I'm sorry's" but the foundational event that has created the situation was my wife of 23 yrs' suicide in 2012. Rocked the family as one might imagine. Been a road, but I've moved on and earlier this year got engaged: We plan to marry in September. I am still connected to my late wife's family and have regularly attended Holiday gatherings at their places and have mostly 90% or so, felt as welcome as I used to when attended the gatherings in the 23 yrs of marriage. Of course our son, an adult and married recently, attends but in recent yrs has had to balance his attendance there with attending his wife's family gatherings which at times have conflicted schedule-wise.

The family knows I am seeing a woman and one member, my niece-in-law, knows I'm engaged as does our son but neither had mentioned that aspect to the rest of the family far as I know.

To complicate matters, my mother-in-law passed this past October.

This Thanksgiving my son and I both weren't able to make the Thanksgiving gathering which was at my late wife's brother's place in the country, both of us due to schedule conflicts of his wife's family's gathering and my fiancee's family gathering.

The niece-in-law who is usually my contact who invites me to their family events has not communicated about Christmas Eve. Just sent her an inquiry email, awaiting response.

HERE IS THE QUESTION:

Should I bring my fiancee to the Christmas Eve gathering? It's being held at their old family house where my father-in-law still lives (now as a new widower) just him and their dog, and where my wife grew up. He himself in his Christmas card said looking forward to seeing you Xmas Eve, and he had told me in November that she was invited to their Thanksgiving gig at the brother's place. Frankly my fiancee has expressed reluctance and tells me that their first Christmas gathering at the family place where my late wife grew up, after losing the matriarch of the family pretty much freaks her out and makes her feel iffy about going as the new woman. Keep in mind they know I'm seeing someone, just not that it has blossomed into engagement. And then again, they may know already if my niece-in-law who promised to keep it quiet let it slip.

Or should I just stay home and change the oil in my car and bike? (

You were invited so go with your intended but, keep a low profile until you get the "lay of the land" In addition; as those of us in AA know, we always have the option to leave. Ed

I'd go. She's part of your family. They need to accept that. They should be happy for you. If they're not, that's their issue, not yours.

robert

Originally Posted By: robertcope
I'd go. She's part of your family. They need to accept that. They should be happy for you. If they're not, that's their issue, not yours.

robert

Tough situation, but I think this sums it up. You didn't leave the family, and they couldn't (reasonably) expect you to stay a widower forever. I can see how your fiancee might be adverse to it, but I think all of you (collective) need to deal with this, if not now then it's going to eventually happen. Put another way: if you skip out and then a month later they find out that you are engaged, will it change anything? make it easier for them to accept?

Holiday (and any other) gatherings are all about people. You should attend and take her along. If you both decide that she will not attend, then perhaps you should stay with her.

Regarding attendance at family events, I have raised my children to accept the wishes and actions of each member of the family. If someone chooses not to attend, it is their loss and not your job to judge. Explain this to your new gf and extend her the same privilege of choosing. Family members who try to stir up trouble over who does what are to be put in their place then avoided. As you are seeing now, this all comes into play with the kids once they marry and in-laws have to be considered.

Live and let live.

I'm sure the niece-in-law told some people who told some people and now most everyone knows. Might as well go and make the best of it. Don't worry about what everyone thinks.

LoneRanger,
I lost my dad when i was 16 and my stepdad last year.

I think your FIL will always see the empty chair where his daughter used to seat and the empty chair where his wife used to sit.
I you are really close to him, go alone and make his holidays merry. sometimes we men are not so tough. even if FIL as an adult may welcome your fiance, a tear may still be in his eyes missing 2 dear persons.(but if somebody else at the party misplaces a comment, it may make for an awkward fete and follow up, even you you leave the gathering)

But if you moved on and want to cherish your new fiance, attend her choice of gathering.

Life trows us many balls and sometime we need to move on. Growing up ain't for sissies...

I hope I use the right words here......

I like the idea of showing up. Your new gal is part of the living and seeing her will UNDOUBTEDLY lift the spirits of your father-in-law.
The older people get the less they want to dwell on "proprieties" which are likely outdated in the first place.

Ask your fiancé to go with it and set her feelings of "out-of-placeness" aside; even if just for that evening.

Ask her to assess the position and/or power of this niece in law who, if I read you correctly, is either a social bottleneck or social facilitator. Be in the position to thank her for organizing things or learn where she (and you) stand in the grand scheme-if there indeed is one.

Remember, relationships change. I've long felt that Christmas adds a heaviness which has its own chemistry.

The changes in your families may result in The Fourth of July picnic evolving into the better holiday for everyone.
Elbow room and freedom of movement really helps in social settings.

Enjoy-tell the people how much you love 'em-have a good time-keep it brief if need be.
As an inspirational relative once told me, "Don't get sucked into their insanity".

Ask your new gal to join you in managing the situation. If she balks, hit her! (only kidding) Kira

Loneranger,
i re-read your post again.
sometimes a women's intuition is right. and at this age is not the fear of new.....

I'd take her but I'd also tell your F-I-L that you're bringing her in advance. If he has any objections or concerns he has had a chance to express them. Chances are it will go reasonably well and it sets the stage for future years.

While I think both you and your fiancee would be welcome, I think foremost you need to respect the feelings of your fiancee. If she doesn't want to go, don't pressure her to and don't go without her, spend the time with her. I don't mean to sound cold, and I know your heart is in the right place, but your first loyalty should be to your bride to be. You can see your former FIL / family a different time, hopefully with your fiancee.

Originally Posted By: dlayman
While I think both you and your fiancee would be welcome, I think foremost you need to respect the feelings of your fiancee. If she doesn't want to go, don't pressure her to and don't go without her, spend the time with her. I don't mean to sound cold, and I know your heart is in the right place, but your first loyalty should be to your bride to be. You can see your former FIL / family a different time, hopefully with your fiancee.

I was about to type something similar, but got to your post and realized you had written it much better than I ever could have. If I put myself in her shoes, I would be extremely nervous because this is an incredibly awkward situation to enter as a newcomer. Doubly so as the new bride. I would let her enter your late wife's family gatherings on her own terms.

Last edited:
I'd get on the phone with every party involved and clearly communicate your concerns, hopes and expectations and see how everyone reacts. Your answer should make itself clear pretty quickly.

Originally Posted By: dlayman
I think foremost you need to respect the feelings of your fiancee. If she doesn't want to go, don't pressure her to and don't go without her, spend the time with her. I don't mean to sound cold, and I know your heart is in the right place, but your first loyalty should be to your bride to be. You can see your former FIL / family a different time, hopefully with your fiancee.

+1, yeppers I agree with that. Sounds like it could very well be awkward. How would you feel if the situation was reversed? A-w-k-w-a-r-d.

Run it by your niece in law. Since he is a widower, I am sure he looks forward to seeing you and doubt he would take issue with you bringing your girlfriend. He needs to understand that as tragic as her passing, people do move in. This is not to misunderstand moving on with forgetting. Sorry to hear about what happened, but confident your niece in law can likely run the situation by him and see if you bringing her would be a problem or not. My guess is... you are overthinking it and he would be happy to have you both there to have company.

I would opt out this year.
Next year you will be remarried and you need to move forward with your new wife and your kids.
You could attend some lesser get togethers if you feel the need to but just not Christmas.

Originally Posted By: pandus13
LoneRanger,Life trows us many balls and sometime we need to move on. Growing up ain't for sissies...
What is really interesting is the other day I was working in my shop and I just busted out is a crying fit saying out loud Dad why didn't you tell me life is so tough. Then it seemed I got an answer... If I told you how tough life could be you wouldn't believe me. I was blessed having my Dad until I was 57. Seems you had to be a man sooner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back