Fall Creators Update aka Update 1709

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got Windows Defender to play in the sandlot with everyone else! Many thanks to Update 1709 for jettisoning me into this rabbit hole! Feel a lot secure being online with Windows Defender firing n all cylinders. So what did it? It was a combo of removing a registry entry as well as doing a reset! Computer is running footloose and fancy free albeit more securely!

Update: Bad news or so it is called but my Win10 Mail is out. When I launch the app from the Win 10 start menu and mail app, nothing. I reset it or should I say Reset it thru settings but nothing. Rebooted and everything. I use this app for 90% of my online time so this is a Donald Trump HUGE hit.

Discuss.

On the good stuff, Windows Defender is working with my 1-2 punch of Registr and soft reset of OS. And my browser is running crisper since it uninstalled Chrome from Google and I had to reinstall it. I love how it uninstalls everything but the most essential. It's survival. So I have to get Win10 mail. Any discuss here?

Last edited:
Update: Had to run a factory restore but keep all files and default apps, in addition to and as well as a DISM /retorehealth to fix what broke with this Fall Creator update. My my what a rabbit hole...I got Update 1709 done finally and fixed was the Windows defender (only anti-virus) as well as Win 10 Mail and Store...this is a rabbit hole only bugs bunny can say whats up doc to. ............................................------------------------********----------------------------------------------------*******************************----------Discuss win 10 tools now

Last edited:
I don't understand why Windows 10 [1709]has updated my sound card driver 4 times, with the exact same driver, no changes to the driver numbers at all. To resolve my sound issue, I'm thinking of possibly wiping the drive clean, again. Then doing a clean install off line, add my sound card driver, then block win 10 from updating or messing with any drivers before going online and letting it update itself.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
no need for a clean install you can block that driver update.

Thanks, I did, earlier, in fact I set it not to update any drivers anymore. Hopefully it doesn't mess with them now.

The consensus regarding Update 1709, for me is, this is the first "Service Pack", if you will, and basically a new O.S like win 95 was to win 3.1. Consensuse among every1?

Discuss now.

Update: The In-place Reset or "soft reset" TRUMPS the clen re-imaging. Computer runs like it is brand new. And since it doesn't install anything but the most essential, the registry is super light and computer boots faster. I also re-ran the Mcafee uninstall utility which started all the problems with Windows defender as far as services un-enable-able. If anyone out there has a Win10 PC that is running slow, I highly recommend the soft reset where it keeps yoaur files. Looks like that along with the registry tweaks makes miracles on windows PCs. Consensus here?

Discuss profusely..

I've had a love/hate relationship with Windows 10. I love the interface, but have had very mixed results with installations.

On the four machines I had when it first came out, it wouldn't install at all on one that it should have, didn't do well with one touch updates on two older machines but the USB installations were great, and on the newest machine with two graphics cards the finished product was never stable, it would randomly crash and restart. After endless frustration spanning weeks I ended up rolling that machine back to 8.1.

Reading about the Creators Update, and the fact that the multiple graphics card issue was solved a while back, made me open to it. The mixed results here gave me pause, though. But I was feeling adventurous and tried again, and the one touch update worked perfectly. Easiest and best installation yet!

Originally Posted By: TooManyWheels
I've had a love/hate relationship with Windows 10. I love the interface, but have had very mixed results with installations.

On the four machines I had when it first came out, it wouldn't install at all on one that it should have, didn't do well with one touch updates on two older machines but the USB installations were great, and on the newest machine with two graphics cards the finished product was never stable, it would randomly crash and restart. After endless frustration spanning weeks I ended up rolling that machine back to 8.1.

Reading about the Creators Update, and the fact that the multiple graphics card issue was solved a while back, made me open to it. The mixed results here gave me pause, though. But I was feeling adventurous and tried again, and the one touch update worked perfectly. Easiest and best installation yet!

It was MEh, Win 10 was, for me until this update or as I like to call it, Service Pack 1 with bells and whistles, I might add. I was a XP guy for the longest and hardly ever got into the Wn7s or Win8s, TBH.

I had the update go thru fine, but once it was back up and running videos were freezing/dropping frames. Some other tasks became laggy. It's an older machine (Sandy Bridge i5, 8GB RAM and Sandisk Ultra II SSD) but it was still quick prior to FCU. I tried to revert back to 1703, but it encountered some kind of error and wouldn't boot into Windows at all. I tried to do a fresh install, but I kept getting "Windows could not update the computer's boot configuration. Installation Cannot Proceed." After a lot of trial and error, I finally gave up and installed Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. It's been a while since I've used Linux and have been enjoying the change. I'm wondering how things will go on my other two W10 machines.

Wow maybe I just got lucky. Been a couple weeks since the update on my old Acer laptop (AMD A6 1.5ghz and 4GB memory) and so far has been flawless. Fact it actually solved a couple driver issues from the initial W10 install.

Originally Posted By: Delta
Wow maybe I just got lucky. Been a couple weeks since the update on my old Acer laptop (AMD A6 1.5ghz and 4GB memory) and so far has been flawless. Fact it actually solved a couple driver issues from the initial W10 install.

Even though this is really an Add-Pack and not a Service PAck, the more stories I hear about it fixing things, the more I feel this is a definitive OS upgrade and is worthy of its own number in the name game and making it Windows 11. Now what it allowed for me is to fix my mission critical Windows Defender(only Anti-everything) issue where the services wouldn't or couldn't be Enable and thus unable to run and do its thing. This occurred subsequent to an install and uninstall of Macafe AV. Now the restore, reset and registry hack did the miracle!

Update: For those of you with the update running and fully-functional, have you or has anyone tried the new Edge? IT keeps graphically purporting of his prodigious speed advantage over FF and especially Crhome...have yall seen this balderdash going on? Is it faster than FF cause that used to be FF exclusive terrirtory.

Pray foretell..

(P.S. Hit Ctrl-Windows key+ C and see your computer in all grey wolf gray!)

Last edited:
Update: The Edge browser seems to be and keeps resizing and Zooming and it does not do this in Google Chrome. In response, I turned down the scroll sensitivity but anyone know what it could be?

Anyone try and use Alt-Windows key-C much or for anything other than novelty?

Update: Issues persist but win10 still functional however my profile might need revising. Getting some closures of the auto-tragic kind like being logged off and stuff if I launch a win10 app. This just in, I found some utility that is supposed to fix issues with profile and ran it and so far, no re-occurrence but I am not a happy DT huge citizen, right about now..(overall: still a windows guy though namely win10 after Fall Creators, officially)
.....----*****-------------
discuss similar or like events now below

Last edited:
Anyone getting this balderdash? Of running utils to get win10 to behave and work properly. This is cra cra bra. Seems like most of the world is using an antiquated OS like XP or worse, windows "me", lol. even Vista is < than that, amIright?!?!

Getting weird behavior unbecoming of a OS so I did a clean install but off the partition and not a CD or image iso file of any kidn, like off a usb stick. atleast i know i didn't break anything and can only go up from here, amIright???

Update: It appears this install from a partition and not off of some media like cd/dvd and USB etc et al did the trick. We can close this thred pending any questions from the audience.

Edit: I even kept visiting Windows Update and got this Fall Creators juiced up on it and installed like in an hour. All the issues were the flotsom and jetsom or remnants or legacies of Windows fragments in the registry perhaps, and this install from another logical partition drive rescued and made miracle. this also avoided the need for any thumb drives (that you always lose nway)

Edit to Edit: Fry's is my spot!

Last edited:
Update: With a clean install, but not from CD, this thing is miracled up. I wonder why people even need CDs for OSs anymore this new fandangled, The mighty PARTITION MAGIC way of doing business.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back