New game "starfield" very glitchy on gaming rig. Problem is supposedly common

My wife is a gamer and her rig is a 3 year old gaming rig. 2080Ti, i9 9900KF, (no onboard graphics, unlocked) Giga MB and plenty of memory, 2ea M.2 Samsung 2TB drives. Basically a solid gaming computer in it's day. And well within the specs for Starfield recommended hardware.

The problem is that Starfield is amazingly glitchy. It stutters even on loading, the audio and video don't match, and the computer freezes non stop. Come to find out, we are not alone here.

Of course, we reduced the settings to medium, eliminated any graphics intensive settings as best we could, updated the Nvidia drivers and so on. Made zero difference. It's awful and utterly useless.

The thing is, her other games play perfectly, with sufficient FPS, no glitches and no lockups. Heck, when she really gets going, the video card fans crank up to 100%. That is not the case here. The fans are not spooling up. As I mentioned, the audio even hangs up on initial loading, before game play.

Any thoughts on how to deal with this?

A friend is having the same issue with Starfield. He has a i9-12900k and 3080 Ti. Uninstalling and reinstalling didn't fix it. I'm not sure what else he's done. I have a 5900X and 6800XT and have no bugs or glitches. It plays flawlessly on ultra graphics 1440p @ 90-100 fps. Another friend with a 5800X3D and 6800XT also hasn't had any issues with Starfield. It makes me wonder if it's an Nvidia / Intel related issue based on the very small sample pool.

There are many things that could lead to this. Insufficient ram, bad I/o device drivers, failing SSD, hardware rendering not kicking in for some reason, overheating CPU, or an errant process hogging resources.

A friend is having the same issue with Starfield. He has a i9-12900k and 3080 Ti. Uninstalling and reinstalling didn't fix it. I'm not sure what else he's done. I have a 5900X and 6800XT and have no bugs or glitches. It plays flawlessly on ultra graphics 1440p @ 90-100 fps. Another friend with a 5800X3D and 6800XT also hasn't had any issues with Starfield. It makes me wonder if it's an Nvidia / Intel related issue based on the very small sample pool.
If this is the case potentially forcing high performance rendering through the exe might help.

There are many things that could lead to this. Insufficient ram, bad I/o device drivers, failing SSD, hardware rendering not kicking in for some reason, overheating CPU, or an errant process hogging resources.

64gb DDR4 ram, temps are good, and it glitches even before ya get started. So weird.

I have 2 identical SSD's, I will swap the game to the other drive. And I will look into updating the MB drivers.

Although, she plays some pretty serious "shoot em up" games at 4K res, and none have any issues. Even on the high settings.

Last edited:
Back