Fake SMS Alert Hawaii Missile Warning

Status
Not open for further replies.
How could that individual have made that error? I heard it needs a second input confirming you want to send such an Alert. So not a slip of the finger.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Do people really rely solely upon SMS text on their phone and not verify through other sources? For something as big as that, I would have thought more people would've sought to confirm it before freaking out.

If my Facebook feeds for my HOA and city are any indication, confirmation would be in the form of people posting "Hey I just got this message, is it legit? Did anyone else get it?"

It still amazes me that people who obviously have internet access go to FB to ask about things like when does the city take Christmas Trees for recycling instead of, oh, I don't know, going to the city's website to see the info on a huge banner on the home page...

Ok, rant over, back on topic

Originally Posted By: Al
Perhaps the Hawaii Government needs to get their own house in order as they continue to rail against the U.S. government. I mean seriously..had a government official press the wrong button? Height of Hawaii gov incompetency.

The button should have been under a flip-up clear cover guard.

There is that.

Quote:
Hawaii Gov. David Ige said there wasn't a process in place to send out a message stating "that this is a false alarm."

Too me this is huge - what it took 38 minutes? Bad, bad......

Yeah I guess they found out they have no clue.

I bet it was a covert troll on the Hawaiian people
lol.gif
Moral of the story: forget the panic and bunkers and just live your life. Boomers spent their entire youth being afraid of nukes, it's no way to live.

Originally Posted By: cjcride
How could that individual have made that error? I heard it needs a second input confirming you want to send such an Alert. So not a slip of the finger.

Nothing smells right about the whole charade at all.

Hawaii also has an air raid siren that is supposed to go off in case of a real missile threat crisis. Radio and TV stations would also display an announcement from Hawaii EMA that a threat is inbound. Someone hit the wrong button that sent out that message to every cellphone.

Soon as it was broadcast Hawaii EMA should have been on the hotline to NORAD for confirmation. Then immediate broadcast of "stand down, no threat" upon finding out from NORAD that nothing was coming. Not 38 minutes of indecision.

I would have been worried too if it were an official iPhone alert. I have a friends in Hawaii and they were freaking out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back