Fair Warning to all Snap-on ratchet owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have a sealed Snap-on ratchet and like taking it apart to clean and relube it, be careful about what you choose for a lubricant. I took two of my ratchets apart tonight and the seals almost jumped out at me they were so swollen. There is no way those seals are going back in there. I had fresh rebuild kits in both of those ratchets and those seals have been in contact with only one type of lube: Federal Mogul Sealed Power #55-400 engine assembly lube. It's a fantastic lube for ratchets, but if you have seals in your ratchets, I recommend sticking to the factory recommended lube. In the case of Snap-on, their factory installed lube is Super-Lube #21030 and their ratchet rebuild kits come with that lube. It's not the best ratchet lube in the world, but at least it won't swell the seals.

If you're the guy who never takes his ratchet apart and lets the dealer service it, disregard all of the above.

I'm a tool polisher..........I play with my tools.
grin2.gif

I never take them apart and never had one fail, the most they get is the heads get tossed into a can of ATF once on a while, the sealed Snap-On gets nothing only a wipe down if its lucky.

Honestly I have found Air Compressor oil to be the best lube for a fine tooth ratchet. Never seen a swollen seal and it does a fair job keeping the guts clean and lubricated. I figure if its good enough for my impacts , why not my ratchets. Coarse tooth thats a different story , they get superlube.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I never take them apart

You're one of those normal people who are not obsessive compulsive.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Try throwing those seals in the freezer to make them shrink.

Yes I've tried that.

Originally Posted By: Doog
I use 3 in 1 oil. Once every decade whether they need it or not.

In which kind of ratchet ? We're talking about sealed Snap-on ratchets here.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Isn't this where you use MMO?

You got me confused with somebody else. I've never used MMO in a ratchet because I know that stuff is way too thin to lubricate coarse gears.

Interesting. I would have thought that Snap-On ratchets were better quality, but apparently yours need servicing quite frequently. None of the old ratchets that I have needed lubed or repaired in 30 or 40 years. Have you considered purchasing something a bit higher quality that doesn't need maintenance and repairs on a regular basis?

I thought "sealed" meant its sealed.. as in sealed. You cant service it.. like the sealed bearings on my Jeep's D30.
21.gif

I am sure Snap On is good.. Merk just fixes what isnt broke.

So in other words you did a lubrication experiment, used an incompatible lube, and now need new seals?

Why am I not surprised?

JHZR2, you are correct sir. I don't mind replacing the seals, in fact, I would very much like to, but they are not available individually anymore. You now have to get the entire rebuild kit. Snap-on has been nice enough to send me the rebuild kits just so I can take the seals out of them. They haven't been charging me anything for the rebuild kits. My conscience is really getting to me. The guilt is eating me up. I wish I could buy a whole stack of seals just so I could clear my conscience, even if it cost me $30 for 300 seals.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
If you have a sealed Snap-on ratchet and like taking it apart to clean and relube it, be careful about what you choose for a lubricant. I took two of my ratchets apart tonight and the seals almost jumped out at me they were so swollen. There is no way those seals are going back in there. I had fresh rebuild kits in both of those ratchets and those seals have been in contact with only one type of lube: Federal Mogul Sealed Power #55-400 engine assembly lube. It's a fantastic lube for ratchets, but if you have seals in your ratchets, I recommend sticking to the factory recommended lube. In the case of Snap-on, their factory installed lube is Super-Lube #21030 and their ratchet rebuild kits come with that lube. It's not the best ratchet lube in the world, but at least it won't swell the seals.

If you're the guy who never takes his ratchet apart and lets the dealer service it, disregard all of the above.

What you are describing is an example of why people should not experiment with non-approved lubricants in their various vehicle applications.

Originally Posted By: Whitewolf
What you are describing is an example of why people should not experiment with non-approved lubricants in their various vehicle applications.

Well, I hope their engine seals aren't as sensitive as my ratchet seals.
grin2.gif

I don't know anything about the seals or the lubricant.

But Is this a case where a petroleum based lubricant was used on a rubber seal? If so, perhaps silicone based lubricants would be better?

Originally Posted By: ajchien
I don't know anything about the seals or the lubricant.

But Is this a case where a petroleum based lubricant was used on a rubber seal? If so, perhaps silicone based lubricants would be better?

Yes you are correct. It's a case where petroleum based lubricants were used on seals that were supposed to be exposed to synthetic non-petroleum based lubricants only. The manufacturer recommends Super Lube multipurpose synthetic grease. I had no idea why they recommended that specific lubricant, but now I do.

in my experience they dont need any service/maintenance till you bust em.and that takes extreme usage.
i had one get that crunchy feel and sure enough it had chipped parts.clean it out,install kit,done!
i suspect obsessive over maintenance exposes them to more opportunity for contamination.
btw the last 2 i broke busted out the housing the ratchet mech sits in.i suspect it got perfectly point to point and forced outward to pop the end.

Yes Merkava 4, I suspect the days of regular maintenance are almost over, although they may return.

Pave a new road...then what? Just leave it alone until it cracks and potholes form. I mean yearly sweeping and maybe a sealer or whatever every decade may be helpful, but it seems around here they wait until a few people die because of it then repave it.

I guess gone are the days of daily, monthly, quarterly and yearly maintenance. Now your lubricants are lasting 2x, 3x, even 5x or so more. Now we, for the most part it seems, is to replace it when the computer says to do so, when it breaks and the cant wont go no more, or a very vague maintenance schedule. It seems the materials are better and of more quality and need alot less attention. Now a days it seems doing just above the minimum and just keeping things clean will somehow be more productive than over oiling every last tidbit.

Like in e 3000 mile oil change days, maybe you couldnt change the oil too much. Now, it seems the oils take a while to break in and get used to the engine and do not contribute to full protection at first. Aka they take awhile to come into their own since long drains are the norm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back