F-22 Raptor VS F-35 RAA

Watching it almost just “snap” into position or seemingly “drift” mid air when they perform a high speed maneuver is mesmerizing.

I've seen that in movies (mostly Chinese made) where it's really just crappy CGI effects. I've seen plenty of real fighter aircraft where it's nothing like that, except the F-22 can pull off tight loops with vectored thrust.

Stealth is relative depending on technology, and what can be seen by the ground stuff is different than what can be seen from the cockpit. BVR is ideal of course because something like an F-22 could smoke something before the other guy even knows he's around. That guy would only get an indication of an incoming missile at some point, and have to scramble to avoid being blown out of the air.
Remember, too, that he who sees first shoots first.
The most vulnerable time for any aircraft with stealth capabilities is when the weapons bay is open or when the landing gear is down. That's supposedly the primary reason why an F-117 was shot down, besides a lot of hubris.
I think they had found a way to track that F-117 enough to increase the odds of even a lucky shot. But maybe you are right that it was the open bomb bay that gave it away. The telltale thing to me is the quick withdrawl from service. They must have found a vulnerability in that form of stealth (angular surfaces). We only see the soft stealth shapes since. So that makes me think it was more than just when the bay doors are open. Even the B-2, F-22, and F-35 have that issue.

Those airframes should have plenty of hours left on them, so in spite of a few still flying here or there, it was interesting that they pulled them the way they did.

I think they had found a way to track that F-117 enough to increase the odds of even a lucky shot. But maybe you are right that it was the open bomb bay that gave it away. The telltale thing to me is the quick withdrawl from service. They must have found a vulnerability in that form of stealth (angular surfaces). We only see the soft stealth shapes since. So that makes me think it was more than just when the bay doors are open. Even the B-2, F-22, and F-35 have that issue.

Those airframes should have plenty of hours left on them, so in spite of a few still flying here or there, it was interesting that they pulled them the way they did.

I think part of the battle is getting someone to turn tail rather than do something like a drop a bomb. Iraqi pilots would supposedly do so when they figured that an F-14 was in the air.

Not sure about the practicality of the F-117. It was the first of its kind and they had a lot of compromises. Using those angular surfaces makes for an extremely un-aerodynamic plane. It also wasn't terribly fast and did only one thing, which was to drop 2 bombs.

That's what I was eluding to. Fighters like the F-22 and F-35 are very stealthy and also have very high performance radar and sensor fusion technology so they will see enemy airctaft and fire off a missile before the other guy even sees the F-22 or F-35. All they see is a warning that an incoming missile is heading their way when they have little time to react.
F-22 and probably the F-35 have very fast opening and closing weapons doors. The doors are only open long enough to fire off a missile, then close quickly so open time is very short.

F-22 and probably the F-35 have very fast opening and closing weapons doors. The doors are only open long enough to fire off a missile, then close quickly so open time is very short.

Not sure how the precision guided munitions would be fired from an F-35, and obviously an F-22 wasn't designed for dropping bombs or air to ground missiles although I've seen references to it in movies.

I'm not sure what what the deal was, but they heard it told about the F-117 shot down over Serbia was that once they got a lock on it when the weapons bay door was open, they were able to keep a lock. Not sure that it would be possible after shooting off chaff.

F-22 can drop JDAM which is a guided air to ground bomb.

Had to look it up. I do remember a scene from The Avengers where Agent Coulson is on the phone telling a Russian general that if he doesn't put Black Widow on the phone he's got an F-22 8 miles out that will blow up the block.

And they had a lot of F-22s used in The Tomorrow War that was on Amazon Prime. Still - I understand that the weight limits are really low and they would need a laser from another source to paint the target.

Drops two JDAMs at around 1:38 and the bomb bay doors are only open about 5 seconds.

Last edited:
Drops two JDAMs at around 1:38 and the bomb bay doors are only open about 5 seconds.

It's hardly a bomb truck though. Certainly not like this (and the internal weapons are out of sight):

BR190040165-1.jpg

It's hardly a bomb truck though. Certainly not like this (and the internal weapons are out of sight):

BR190040165-1.jpg
The F-22 can also carry middles on underwing pylons. It's talked about in the link I posted in post #27. It could carry 8 under wing missles if that's what the mission called for. Other info says those pylons could also be made to carry small smart bombs like the F-35 photo you found.

" The F-22's combat configuration is "clean", that is, with all armament carried internally and with no external stores. This is an important factor in the F-22's stealth characteristics, and it improves the fighter's aerodynamics by dramatically reducing drag, which, in turn, improves the F-22's range. The F-22 has four under wing hardpoints, each capable of carrying 5,000 pounds. A single pylon design, which features forward and aft sway braces, an aft pivot, electrical connections, and fuel and air connections, is used. Either a 600-gallon fuel tank or two LAU-128/A missile launchers can be attached to the bottom of the pylon, depending on the mission. "

Last edited:
at the end of the day the only thing that matters is that the f-35 is the premier 5th gen aircraft with unmatched capabilty and versatility

anybody that was dumb enough to not buy into the jsf program will pay the price

Back