F-150 Lightning (the new kind) Less Fancy Versions

2022-F-150-Lightning-XLT-in-Atlas-Blue-On-The-Road-Photos-November-2021-Exterior-004.jpg

XLT

2022-Ford-F-150-Lightning-Pro-Iconic-Silver-Real-World-Pictures-Exterior-003.jpg

Pro (FKA XL ?)

The Silver one they have been teasing is a Platinum.

These are the more attainable versions if you want an everyday truck....

The grill leaves something to be desired, but the rest seems decent. I recall when I looked at the pro model sometime back, it was pretty well outfit. The higher trim lines were obnoxiously expensive, $50-80k IIRC.

I agree - Not a fan of the Grill and headlights. The Pro dispenses with the "light bar" but also appears to delete it on the rear, and I kinda like the rear one. The head lights I pretty close to hate.

Still the overall package is a very good effort if it meets the range estimates...

One of the videos ia was watching it was reported that when one of the Ford reps was asked about range towing the answer was "physics".

A "regular" F150 will not go as far on a full tank towing 10,000 lbs as it will empty, but are the numbers comparable? Could make a big difference to some people or no difference at all to some people.

EV’s are a little different than conventional vehicles. as nearly always the highway economy is much lower than city range. With EV trucks, highway range suffers even more due to aerodynamic loads.

EV’s simply consume ever more power as they do
more work, in a relatively linear fashion. What ever that work might be.

Engines are least efficient when doing very little work, and often efficiency numbers improve with load.

Towing 6000 pounds reduces my MPG by 40%. Despite the total vehicle weight more than doubling. Range goes from 665miles down to just over 400.

However, the very good news is that Ford is rating the range with a payload. Which means they are sandbagging!

Last edited:
Depending on your use case, the Lightning just might be a great choice. It sure look like fun and ain't butt-ugly like the Cybertruk.
For me, my trusty old Tundra makes sense. But the Ford electric trucks, or even one of those modern V6 models sure are tempting!

Except I would cry on 1st scratch.

Last edited:
EV’s are a little different than conventional vehicles. as nearly always the highway economy is much lower than city range. With EV trucks, highway range suffers even more due to aerodynamic loads.

EV’s simply consume ever more power as they do
more work, in a relatively linear fashion. What ever that work might be.

Engines are least efficient when doing very little work, and often efficiency numbers improve with load.

Towing 6000 pounds reduces my MPG by 40%. Despite the total vehicle weight more than doubling. Range goes from 665miles down to just over 400.

However, the very good news is that Ford is rating the range with a payload. Which means they are sandbagging!
Don't forget EV's typically have brake regen which gives them a big boost in urban range.

I don't like the 5'5" bed.
I didn’t that I would either. I rented a crew cab pickup with that size bed a few years back. Thing is, if you fold the tailgate down and put a sheet of plywood down, you have ~8ft and it’s usable. Not ideal for construction, but that’s not the task at hand. For most folks who drive trucks unloaded, it’s enough for routine stuff.

Up to 70 miles towing range

Yeah, but nobody in their right mind who is going to take a giant RV or boat across the US is going to buy this.

Its not towing and touring, it’s towing from your house to the boat launch, or pulling a rental trailer from point a to point b. Not serious.

I do think theyd be better off not listing towing values, sort of like how most cars don’t list them though they can tow. It’s just obnoxiously low and not worth the thought exercise unless you really know your use and duty cycle, and it jives with the capability.

nobody in their right mind who is going to take a giant RV or boat across the US is going to buy this.

Around here, people do regularly tow their boats to the ramp and back. But that's not all they do. They also plan more distant fishing or "outing" trips to the Indian river, Lake Okeechobee, not to mention Key West, the Tennessee river or other distant locations. That's why they purchase capable vehicles. I don't know any boat owners who want to be restricted to Jupiter, Florida and only 10's of miles from home.

Around here, people do regularly tow their boats to the ramp and back. But that's not all they do. They also plan more distant fishing or "outing" trips to the Indian river, Lake Okeechobee, not to mention Key West, the Tennessee river or other distant locations. That's why they purchase capable vehicles. I don't know any boat owners who want to be restricted to Jupiter, Florida and only 10's of miles from home.

Give me a break. Jupiter Florida to Key West is 250 miles, that is ONE charging stop for even the low end Lightning. If stopping for ONE 45 minute charge on a 5 hour drive you do, what, twice a year, isn't much. Its even much less when you consider you don't have to stop for GAS every week the other 50 weeks of the year.

You could drive from Jupiter to Key West half a dozen times and you would still spend less time at a "filling station" over the course of a year.

Give me a break. Jupiter Florida to Key West is 250 miles, that is ONE charging stop for even the low end Lightning. If stopping for ONE 45 minute charge on a 5 hour drive you do, what, twice a year, isn't much. Its even much less when you consider you don't have to stop for GAS every week the other 50 weeks of the year.

You could drive from Jupiter to Key West half a dozen times and you would still spend less time at a "filling station" over the course of a year.
Not if you are towing.

Back