Extend UOA Test Particle Size Range?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
First off, what you might find in the FF of any engine is of no significance.
There will be some residual machining debris as well as wear-in particles.
FF UOAs typically feature horror show metals levels which are really of no concern at all.
Remember that we're talking about parts per million here so a small absolute difference looks huge.
Now, can you get more accurate results for various particle sizes?
Yes, you can pay more to have particle counts done.
You'll see a few such UOAs in that forum. Not many, since this does involve a fair bit more money, but it can be done and those UOAs can be viewed.
Remember too that UOAs are mainly useful as a measure of oil condition and can be used to help determine appropriate drain intervals. They aren't really a good tool for measuring engine wear.
Also, some engines shed very little metal while others normally shed a lot.
If you compared a UOA from an SBC with one from a four cylinder timing belt Honda, you'd swear that the Chevy was in its death throes. It wouldn't be since it simply normally sheds more metal.
For clarity, I am thinking past the FF, but it is a great example of the theoretical weakness of a UOA and yes, I am aware they cannot be reliably used to measure wear, but what I am suggesting is that with a few fundamental changes could they be? Also, the PPM reading is based upon certain sized particles--the ones which may actually need to be counted may not be in the PPM reading. I have done several particle counts and I am not sold on that as a way to measure wear either since they simply place a sharper lens on the same results already taken. I am not saying you are wrong by any stretch, but I am thinking quite a bit out of the box.

Okay, we're on the same page now.
I guess the question would be how one might use this information and how significant the differences between the best and worst oil in the required grade and spec might be in wear performance. I'm guessing that the difference would be small enough as to be lost in the statistical noise.
We both know that there are a range of desirable qualities to be found in any group of oils in any given grade meeting any spec. You like low volatility and good cold end numbers? Me too. Do you also value high solubility and polarity? I do as well, the problem being that you may not be able to achieve the former in company with the latter. I guess what I'm saying is that every fully formulated oil is a compromise of characteristics and cost and cost is a legitimate consideration unless you and I want to pay ten bucks a quart for oil. I know that I don't want to.
Also, how many engines have you actually worn out with any oil?
I've not actually worn out a single one myself.
There are absolutely cases in which the wear tea leaves found in UOAs can be used to diagnose engine problems before they become fatal. Certain BMW engines signaled an urgent need for bottom end work with increases in copper while certain turbo Subarus would do so with detectable levels of silver. In both cases, the engines were saying that the bottom end should be torn into and the main and maybe rod bearings replaced before a bearing spun.
We all know what increasing sodium means, unless we're using old-school API spec Valvoline (or RP) in which case we'd look for increasing potassium.
Your idea is an interesting one and it would be fun to see some of these enhanced UOAs. I'm just not sure what the practical application would be.

1. Do you agree or disagree there is more metal in the oil than the tests reveal?

I agree there is more metal than the test reveal. Furthermore I hypothesize that there is really no way to know how much from the UOA for break in particles since the engine isn’t necessarily producing them and they may be remnants of the manufacturing process.

Once the manufacturing / break in particles are cleaned out, there is some evidence to suggest that particles in the areas outside of the UOA measurement may be at least related to those measured. This has been heavily debated already, so I’ll leave it at that.

2. Do you think the metal is too small to cause wear thus the current particle size range is sufficient?

Too small to cause wear? No I don’t think that they are too small to cause wear. I do however think they may be too small to cause wear that should concern the user.

3. Do you think changing the UOA test results to capture the quantities of the particles obviously present in the oil would be of value?

Define “value”.
wink.gif

Would it be interesting - sure it would. It is another thing we could obsess about. So it has “That is neat” value.

Would it be of any real use? I’m not sure, I lean toward no.

Would it be good financial value - almost certainly no. UOAs are already a poor value proposition from that stand point IMO. Add additional expense and it gets worse. A UOA with TAN and PC is in the two 5 quart jugs of M1AP at original price, no rebates range. It really doesn’t make sense from any perspective other than interesting data collection.

To be honest, the neat factor is the reason that most of us have UOAs done.
I posted a number of them a few years back and I can honestly say that there were never any surprises.
Low wear metals and some TBN left with low TAN?
Surprise!
I have a number of prepaid kits in hand, so I probably need to get back to enjoying the neat factor.
It is also always nice to have your assumptions about oil condition validated.
What is the one best oil?
Based upon the UOAs I've had done, it would be Maxlife Nextgen 10W-40, also apparently the best oil for a BMW.
We all know that can't be true, LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back