Explain Tire rack to me

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand why People use Tire rack. Unless they have a tire nobody can get locally.

For instance. 31x10.5x15 BFG T/A's for my Jeep.

Americas tire has them for $165 ea.

Tire rack has them for $154 ea... But theres $16 shipping per tire! That makes them $170 per tire! Maybe many people dont Figure in the Shipping?

I've looked but never found it cost effective to order. I do wonder who is ordering from them. I might buy some studded snow tires, but i'm going to check on local place first to see if they stud tires.

You need to know your prices. You probably got lucky and found the tire you wanted cheaper. Most tire stores around here are a lot more expensive on certain tires. Also, tire rack carries many different tires in different price ranges. Sometimes the choice is a $100 tire or a $180 tire at the store and tire rack may have a decent tire for $140. our local tax is 8.86 and that is avoided by tire rack so that helps cover the shipping. I only used them once when I got 2 snow tires on steel wheels, mounted and balanced, to my door for $212.00. They wanted over $60 each for just the wheels around here. It has it's uses.

I ordered snow tires from them last November (Xi3s). Wanted to get them from DTD, but they did not have the snows I wanted in stock (it was those or the Generals but wanted to go with the Michelins really).

The price with shipping and mounting at the indy I wanted to use (which is more expensive than other options) was $40 to $60 cheaper factoring in tax and environmental fee, plus an extra $30 on top of that in cash back through ebates.

I agree though in general pricing is not really anything stellar - personally I was really thrilled with the DTD pricing I got, and plan on going after another deal if they run one for Memorial Day.

Tread depo is $168 per tire but Free shipping. Thats $3 more than America's tire has them for locally.

I'm sure that if I whined enough I could get America's tire to drop the price a little or throw in the mount and Balance.

So far buying online is not worth the effort ImO.

Originally Posted By: Chris142

So far buying online is not worth the effort ImO(for me).

fixed that for ya.

what you said could be 100% true for you it just isn't true on all tires@all locations in the US.

If you need wheels also them throwing in the free roadforce mount and balance is a plus.

Sometimes the difference is getting a local tires cheapo chinese tires, or a tire like the kumho sense... for the same price.

I also shop around and wait on rebates etc.

For example the last set of tires I got DTD to pricematch tirerack's shipped price then had 150$ in rebates.

Last edited:
If you're buying tires mounted on wheels it's completely worth it.

High performance summer tires are typically MUCH cheaper through tire rack. Especially when you're paying to ship the wheels already.

I got 4 OZ 17 inch rims at a great price. 90$ a rim. Cost me 400$ total..cheapest elsewhere was 150$ a rim..so it was a good deal for me..again you have to compare..

Local tire chains around here are outrageously expensive, places like tirerack.com save me a lot of money.

Best deal I've seen is tiresdirect on Ebay when they have a $100 off sale (for tires costing $400 and more) PLUS a manufacturer rebate ($60-80)...

Tirerack used to be a lot more reasonably priced-- I've noticed in the last year or two their prices are really creeping up there, especially when you throw in shipping.

That said, the tax savings is generally enough to cover shipping, unless you live in CT, GA, LA, NV or IN, or another state they're forced to collect sales tax for (CA?).

I drove by their headquarters in South Bend, Indiana a couple times- They must do a lot of business judging by the size of their building.

I've found that www.discounttiredirect.com has the best prices, as they don't charge shipping, and is tax free in most states.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I don't understand why People use Tire rack.

Prices vary widely depending on particular tire and/or size. More exotic high performance or super low profile tires can be a lot cheaper via TireRack. Still, it always makes sense to talk to your local tire shop and see if they can price match or come close, after you factor in the install cost.

For the expert advice and customer service. Visit their South Bend, IN location and talk to the employees -- most of them are auto enthusiasts and they know their stuff.

I got Discount Tire to price match my last set of BF Goodrich tires. I was told they'll match any local store ad, including internet prices.

Lucky for me, I had a ton of choices nearby (all within 10 miles): Sears, Sam's Club, Costco, Walmart, Big O, Firestone, Pep Boys, Tire Works.

Sears had them advertised for the same price as Tirerack at $108/tire. Got a manufacturers rebate on my purchase as well. Mounted and balanced by DT was only a few $ more than ordering thru Tirerack.

I have bought winter tires on steel rims for 2 cars thru Tire Rack. The rims alone are about half the cheapest price I could get locally. Plus, they came fast, with new lug nuts.

Last time i bought tires, i knew the specific tire i wanted. Went to the ford dealer, they could get the tire i wanted, but it might take them 2 weeks to get them in. Tirerack had them in stock, and shipped next day.delivered day after that(southbend is only a couple hrs away). Even with shipping, the differece was only like $20 total.

Last edited:
Tire Rack has never been competitively priced on tires I wanted, but I have ordered tires twice from Discount Tire Direct and I'll probably order tires online in the future.

If you wait for a website sale and stack it with a rebate than it gets pretty hard for local places to meet or beat that price.

If you just get a local place to match the normal DTD price, that's really not a very big savings. The sales stacked with rebates are where the real savings come into play.

I've saved significant amounts of money ordering the two sets online that I purchased. It might not be worth it to everyone, but it is to me.

Tire Rack is a good place to do research on tire and/or wheel. Their price is usually more than other online sites. I got the lowest total from online then had local America's Tire to match. I got the low price and good services.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back