expected drop in mpg for 5w30 vs 5w20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
earlyre: You MIGHT see a difference in short hop driving, where the oil never reaches its grade temperature, or cold weather but otherwise it wouldn't be detectable in the normal way you would check your mpg.
That said, I see no benefist for you going to 5W30. I live around the corner from you (near Kalida) but I see plenty of choices in 5W20 around Lima where I often shop? If we were in Texas or the Sahara, maybe.

I agree, and especially for winter use I'd stick with the 20wt oil and if you can get a 0W-20 cheap where you work I'd use that.

I'd pass on the G-Oil 5W-30. Being ester based (animal fat derived) it's viscosity characteristics appear to be closer to that of a 40wt oilas was discussed in the following thread:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2483686&page=1

Yeah, i read through that post before, and what i mainly got out of it, before folks started spouting off acronyms for stuff i don't understand, was that the OP had higher oil pressure with the g-oil, and that the oil press gauges oems include in dash clusters are [censored].

I understand it's based on animal(beef)fat, and i don't really see a problem there...
it's derived from a very renewable resource, from right here in the usa( money not going into overseas hands)

as for the 0w20, i think the ONLY 0weights we carry are Mobil products @ about $7/qt (purely going by memory here could be way off)
granted the g-oil is priced like Mobil 1 IIRC
thought about using the meijer brand conventional($10/5qtjug) but the Meijer oils are made by Citgo, which is owned by the Venezuelan govt. I'd like to keep my $$ in North America.

Canadians:
Does Husky do Motor oil? they own the Oil refinery here in town.

Last edited:
^^^
Some Wal-marts carry Mobil 0W-20 in 5 quart jugs for around $27.

To the OP, quite a few posters here have reported losing MPG from switching from a 5W-30 or 0W-30 to GC 0W-30, which is on the thicker side. I have seen a very slight drop in MPG going from Mobil 0W-30 to 0W-40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back