Exide Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exide used to be a great manufactur of batteries, however in their quest for a larger market share they cheepend their quality for the sake of contracts. Johnson controles followed the same path.

I've had 3 optima batteries in the last 6 years. The first one is still going strong. The last 2 I had in my truck(the one in my sig). They were bad with in 6 months(both had shorted cells). I replaced those with 2 from east penn, they have been there about 2 yrs no problems. East Penn does not compermise quality for a contract(my friend is a sells rep for them).

If I were you I would check out their website, great info. It's all about price for quality. If you want it you're going to have 2 pay for it.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Every exide battery I have ever had gasses and corrodes the posts. that's why I went to AGM batteries in all my stuff

Does everyone think that any automobile battery can operate without off gassing? I sure hope not.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Every exide battery I have ever had gasses and corrodes the posts. that's why I went to AGM batteries in all my stuff

Does everyone think that any automobile battery can operate without off gassing? I sure hope not.

AGMs don't gas under normal ops

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

AGMs don't gas under normal ops

They will vent if the pressure inside exceeds 10 psi or so. AGM sealed batteries are part of the Recombinant style batteries. The H2 and O recombine to form water.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Thanks guys, lots of good stuff. Last year I think I used too much of the baking soda mixture because it made such a mess. I applied a few times then flushed with water to clean the area. Do I have to disconnect the cables or can I leave them on?

How can I check the electro level? Since when I look down in there its hard to tell what the level actually is. Maybe a wooden skewer? My friend said to check the level once a year.

Use some susdy ammonia to neutralize the acid. Just pour it on and flush with water. No mess at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back