EVERYONE makes the Cheerleader squad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Well my high school let anyone be on the cheerleading squad, but we were small, like under 400 students total.

Yeah, my HS was the same. As a result all the "attractive" and "popular" girls declined to be on the team.
As a result, the team was affectionately referred to as "the dog squad".

Yup, that is pretty much how mine went too. Occasionally one of the really hot girls would be on it just to pad the resume.

We have seen the results of this behavior modification as our youth mature in their final high school years and thin when they go off to college.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: ramammoth
I blame the baby boomers...
how so?

This garbage started with the "Great Society" policies of FDR.

The "Greatest Generation" got sold a bill of goods, which snowballed with the Boomers, and the Gen Xers and Millennials have been left holding the bag, taking all of the blame.

Yeah, Millennials work ethic sucks, and they're nauseatingly arrogant and self-entitled. Their parents also happen to be boomers, or boomer-raised Gen-Xers.

Thing is, I'll take working with a Millennial before I'll take working with a Boomer. The Boomers in my field are the lazy and entitled ones who don't want to learn anything new. They take the most time off for complete nonsense. They're the first ones to complain if they don't like something in the office. They're the most obtuse people I'm forced to endure. Far above and beyond the millennials and Gen Xers.

And they project all of this onto the later generations.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Boomers also stacked the deck in their favor.

Then pulled the ladder up after themselves.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Boomers also stacked the deck in their favor.

Then pulled the ladder up after themselves.

Can you blame them for wanting to hog all the benefits ?

Originally Posted By: Subdued
Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: ramammoth
I blame the baby boomers...
how so?

This garbage started with the "Great Society" policies of FDR.

The "Greatest Generation" got sold a bill of goods, which snowballed with the Boomers, and the Gen Xers and Millennials have been left holding the bag, taking all of the blame.

Yeah, Millennials work ethic sucks, and they're nauseatingly arrogant and self-entitled. Their parents also happen to be boomers, or boomer-raised Gen-Xers.

Thing is, I'll take working with a Millennial before I'll take working with a Boomer. The Boomers in my field are the lazy and entitled ones who don't want to learn anything new. They take the most time off for complete nonsense. They're the first ones to complain if they don't like something in the office. They're the most obtuse people I'm forced to endure. Far above and beyond the millennials and Gen Xers.

And they project all of this onto the later generations.

Stereotype much?

Nothing preventing Millennials and younger folks to accomplish what they want in their life.

I told both my sons (now adults) you’re responsible for building your own future. Both are very successful ..... not mamma’s boys.

School is for learning.

If someone wants to participated on a team, why do they cut the least qualified? Should not those students if anything get MORE attention?

Athletic teams often don't let the Non Jocks participate. Why should the schools disregard them. Should they not be given an opportunity to improve?

I am not suggesting they be given the key position in competitions or medals but if someone wants to actively participate, why not let them join and improve, especially if they can gain health benefits from being active.

It does not make sense to tell a parent their child is not as good as others, we're going to spend your tax money coaching someone else who is already good.

Nothing preventing Millennials and younger folks to accomplish what they want in their life.

I told both my sons (now adults) you’re responsible for building your own future. Both are very successful ..... not mamma’s boys.

I definitely agree that people make their own breaks, but there are some outside factors at play that simply can't be ignored. When I worked at the state, I was one of the 5 youngest people in my entire department of 400+ people. That percentage was about the same for every department in the building.

There were people working well into their 70s who had been at the state for over 40 years. Many of them were making high salaries, and did very little relative to their pay grade. They kept working for the great pay and benefits, and low stress due to having little workload. Sometimes they simply couldn't do their job due to not being up to speed technology-wise, so their work was handed off to others. The state is the largest employer in CT, and this system enables these people to work longer, which prevents the hiring of younger generations of the workforce.

When I started working at a large company soon after leaving the state, there was nobody there over 65. It was also a very demanding and fast paced environment with strict job performance standards.

I can't honestly say one generation is lazier than the other. I know many people from all generations who have great work ethics and are very intelligent. It is extremely dependent on parenting and how they were raised. The systems put in place are more at fault than anything else. My father has worked for the state for 30 years and when he retires he will get a full pension. Someone taking a job in that same department today would get a 401k that they need to contribute to.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

I definitely agree that people make their own breaks, but there are some outside factors at play that simply can't be ignored. When I worked at the state, I was one of the 5 youngest people in my entire department of 400+ people. That percentage was about the same for every department in the building.

There were people working well into their 70s who had been at the state for over 40 years. Many of them were making high salaries, and did very little relative to their pay grade. They kept working for the great pay and benefits, and low stress due to having little workload. Sometimes they simply couldn't do their job due to not being up to speed technology-wise, so their work was handed off to others. The state is the largest employer in CT, and this system enables these people to work longer, which prevents the hiring of younger generations of the workforce.

When I started working at a large company soon after leaving the state, there was nobody there over 65. It was also a very demanding and fast paced environment with strict job performance standards.

I can't honestly say one generation is lazier than the other. I know many people from all generations who have great work ethics and are very intelligent. It is extremely dependent on parenting and how they were raised. The systems put in place are more at fault than anything else. My father has worked for the state for 30 years and when he retires he will get a full pension. Someone taking a job in that same department today would get a 401k that they need to contribute to.

I would suggest that you don't really know WHY every one of those older workers is still working. MAYBE it's because of the reasons you state, (and they would have every right to continue to work if they want to) or maybe it's because they HAVE TO WORK to support themselves.

An example: I have a relative who is 71. She works at a University. She would love to retire, but she can't afford to. Why you ask?, because her husband had a stroke, and was bed-ridden in a long-term care facility for 10+ years until he mercifully died. That long-term care wiped out their finances.

So when you get more life experience, you may realize that not every person who is of 'retirement age', has the option to retire.

The parents are upset who spent THOUSANDS of dollars investing into kid to be a cheerleader. The kid of course has to do work and parent has to suffer through dragging a kid to the paid practices AND meets etc.

My daughter is quite athletic but I simply refuse to pay or spend the thousands of dollars on private youth sports outside of town rec and school ones. A decent private thing came around and my daughter got "recruited" to be on it. However the $400 for soccer skills at age 11. I complained and they had scholarship sitting that builds per session so I paid a more reasonable to me $100. She happens to be the best kid on her school team because other kids who are better with intensive training in soccer pay to be on another team that conflicts in schedule. The likely case in high school is maybe play on low level teams but upper varsity no way.

I feel like it is paid entry for slots on high school sports locally.

Jeepman,

Young folks have tons of opportunities, whether they have a government job or not, or with/without a pension.

I wish I could change jobs... but my 2 pensions and 401K prevent me from leaving an extremely comfy job with little work on my part. When I retire the young folks can take my job. I'll even give them my tool bag full of tools and test equipment, car keys and company vehicle.

Originally Posted By: PSS
School is for learning.

Schools haven't been a place to learn for years now. They're now indoctrination centers...

Jeepman,

Young folks have tons of opportunities, whether they have a government job or not, or with/without a pension.

I wish I could change jobs... but my 2 pensions and 401K prevent me from leaving an extremely comfy job with little work on my part. When I retire the young folks can take my job. I'll even give them my tool bag full of tools and test equipment, car keys and company vehicle.

Interesting they have not tried to buy you out of the job. I know a few folks who fell into the old pension jobs by luck mostly and doing a decent job. They both got "bought out" in their 50's to retire. One worked at Gillette making shampoo and shaving creams. The other few at IBM who were gently pushed to door.

The thing the Gillette retiree thought was really funny , his replacement was a fresh grad Chemical engineer with masters degree to take over the process management and QA etc he was doing.

Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: PSS
School is for learning.

Schools haven't been a place to learn for years now. They're now indoctrination centers...

grampi makes a good point.
since there is a generational thing going on in this thread, google "free range parenting law."i heard about this on the Detroit news this morning.it's good for a laugh.

this is just wrong. everyone should not just make the squad, or any team. If not good enough, you get cut. Go practice and stop the whining. This parent f'ed it up for everyone.

My son is a freshman, on freshman baseball team. He has gotten called up to every junior varsity game(some freshman are called up) so far this season, playing the entire game, except for today. He was not called up. Should I go whine to the coach and school? Ummm, no. What is wrong with parents. You parent at home and make decisions at home, not at school or in school activities. Unless something is blatantly wrong, or your kid is being mistreated, stay out of it.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Jeepman,

Interesting they have not tried to buy you out of the job. I know a few folks who fell into the old pension jobs by luck mostly and doing a decent job. They both got "bought out" in their 50's to retire. One worked at Gillette making shampoo and shaving creams. The other few at IBM who were gently pushed to door.

The thing the Gillette retiree thought was really funny , his replacement was a fresh grad Chemical engineer with masters degree to take over the process management and QA etc he was doing.

I’ll milk the cow for as long as possible.... then I’ll take the early retirement offer.

No joke , I have 3 retirement plans maxed out and 30+ years. I’ve earned every penny over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back