EVERYONE makes the Cheerleader squad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JLTD
They're teaching the wrong thing here...high school is not about everyone making the team, but about learning skills for life. "There are X slots on the cheerleading team. You must meet these standards to be on the team." equates to: "There are X jobs available in your field. You must have these skills to be hired"
+1
This delusional brainwashing has also given us "All kids have a right to attend college. Denying anyone admission is discrimanatory and unfair." Interesting the timing of this along with the HUGE INCREASE in THE COST. So the progressive set gets to feel good about themselves, while displacing the burden unfairly to the kids who are mostly clueless given their age but now "empowered" and "entitled".

Who promptly get squashed flat by both the level of work required AND the amount of debt. So unprepared were they for both. More than a few now have woken up to the fact that they were played for pawns by a much older generations political, "progressive" agenda.

When I was younger, our hockey league had just started travel hockey. The second year, the tryouts were held and teams were picked. Well, one father got [censored] because his kid didn't make the squirt team so he went and created his own travel team of the kids who didn't get picked. He appealed to the board of the league and the team was added. They didn't win a single game they played.

Originally Posted By: onemig
I' m a millennial and I think this is stupid.
Millennial's generation ended in around 2000, not to worry.

I used to mow lawns as a kid, sometimes 4 or 5 in the same neighborhood per day. One of those lawns was my grandparents.

They used to pay my brother the same amount as I made mowing, to sit inside playing PlayStation, because they wanted to "be fair."

Nothing good comes out of this.

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
I used to mow lawns as a kid, sometimes 4 or 5 in the same neighborhood per day. One of those lawns was my grandparents.

They used to pay my brother the same amount as I made mowing, to sit inside playing PlayStation, because they wanted to "be fair."

Nothing good comes out of this.

That's just NUTS!

:)

How did your Grandparents justify his pay?

Ed

Originally Posted By: ramammoth
I blame the baby boomers...

Boomers for the most part weren't the ones who drove this nonsense, it is their kids many whom are already in the 40-50 year old range. It was those foolish boomer sons and daughters that thought they had a better way to raise kids.

I am a boomer and none of our parents did this nonsense. They sent us out into the street without adult supervision to play sports. If we were good enough we got picked to play by the older kids. If not we sat on the sidelines or went home to pout. If we did poorly on our school work we got D's & F's on our report card, left behind and sent to summer school to boot. And only the prettiest and most athletic gals made the cheerleading squad as it was a badge of honor, not something handed to everyone.

There was a family wanting to sue the school district because their daughter was in a wheelchair and wanted to be a part of the Cheerleader team.

Family said daughter was being discriminated against because of a disability.

smirk.gif

I don't know what happened to this lawsuit against the school district.

I think up to gr.8 just getting kids to participate in a sport and learn some skills is a good thing. If you get kids focusing on making the right play instead of the score, eventually they will do well anyways. Also not keeping score lets more kids play in an important situation. Sure they may screw up, or they may do well, either way more kids learn something.
My wife teaches gr.7-8 and she has the most trouble in gym class with some hyper competitive hockey players who have little sportsmanship and will cheat as much as they can to make sure they "win".
There should be a balance anyways, sure in the last minute of a game, put out the best players, but don't do that for the last half of the game.

Originally Posted By: SeaJay

Boomers for the most part weren't the ones who drove this nonsense, it is their kids many whom are already in the 40-50 year old range. It was those foolish boomer sons and daughters that thought they had a better way to raise kids.

I am a boomer and none of our parents did this nonsense. They sent us out into the street without adult supervision to play sports. If we were good enough we got picked to play by the older kids. If not we sat on the sidelines or went home to pout. If we did poorly on our school work we got D's & F's on our report card, left behind and sent to summer school to boot. And only the prettiest and most athletic gals made the cheerleading squad as it was a badge of honor, not something handed to everyone.

It's an Entitlement mentality, out of control. I'd say it started with the woefully misguided Great Society. We now have generations that have never worked, and never will. No concept of putting in some effort to achieve something you want in life, just an expectation to have everything handed to them.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I think up to gr.8 just getting kids to participate in a sport and learn some skills is a good thing. If you get kids focusing on making the right play instead of the score, eventually they will do well anyways. Also not keeping score lets more kids play in an important situation. Sure they may screw up, or they may do well, either way more kids learn something.
My wife teaches gr.7-8 and she has the most trouble in gym class with some hyper competitive hockey players who have little sportsmanship and will cheat as much as they can to make sure they "win".
There should be a balance anyways, sure in the last minute of a game, put out the best players, but don't do that for the last half of the game.

That's about a good time to stop making kids feel they are special. By then anyone who is actually good at a sport is most likely already doing it for a club team.

I have to believe that many of those kids are going to be overwhelmed when they get out in the real worlds and discover they aren't the center of the universe.

SO is it the kids...or the parents of these kids?

Note it was the Mom who made the stink...I can't imagine the girl who didn't make the squad went home thinking..."I think I should make a big fuss to my parents and get them all riled up to go back to the school so they can get me on the team." Unless today's youth are totally broken, there is no way I would want my parents pleading a case for me...that would be ultimate in embarrassment, I couldn't make it on my own...I had to get mommy/daddy to get it for me.

Originally Posted By: SeaJay

I would add not all of the boomers, as a whole, but a sect of them who rebelled against everything their parents stood for and believed in. The internally frustrated set. Those seeking a cause external to themselves to channel this inner frustration, to pour themselves into; to lose themselves into. All who participated "lost themselves" into a much larger cause, becoming True Believers bound together by a very fervent, righteous ideology.

This was the beginning of a Major Mass Movement. The "anti-" generation.

If you listen to the terminology, the agit-prop, it's the same. The reason is it IS the same. It all has its origins in the same movement begun over 50 years ago. Those in positions of power, authority & control make the laws, dictating to others, what is and what will not be tolerated. The Revolution Must Progress! Progress Demands Sacrifice! Intolerance Will Not Be Tolerated!

Sound familar?

It's very obvious the frustrated-set has still not learned to deal with their own frustrations and hot emotions in a healthy manner. Neither have their off-spring. Thus the irrational, emotional set guided solely by their feelings with no rational thought for balance. And like a poor Archer, they blame the target, arrow & bow. "Somebody MUST do SOMETHING! It's not FAIR!"

Not only have they failed at dealing with their own internal frustrations, they still don't realize the world and life isn't fair, despite their attempt to legislate it so.

I have read all the comments so far. Trophy please.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
There was a family wanting to sue the school district because their daughter was in a wheelchair and wanted to be a part of the Cheerleader team.

Family said daughter was being discriminated against because of a disability.

lol.gif

Reminds me of this email thread
[link removed]

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Well my high school let anyone be on the cheerleading squad, but we were small, like under 400 students total.

Yeah, my HS was the same. As a result all the "attractive" and "popular" girls declined to be on the team.
As a result, the team was affectionately referred to as "the dog squad".

Last edited by a moderator:
The linked video clip failed to state one single fact about the process of selection for the cheerleading squad.

Complaining Mom may or may not have a valid point - no way to know from that piece. Apparently everyone that goes to journalism school gets a diploma and is allowed to participate, whether or not they are any good at it.

The solution, if you want to call it that, sounded provisional and not final.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back